Why I prefer Robotech

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Incisivis on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

I still say Exedore and Breetai felt very "right" in the Sentinels novels, and even in the animated "pilot" (though of course Breetai's design was awful and his voice was a little off). But as for the rest of the Macross characters...yeah, they were generic.

Some clarification on Sentinels Miriya: what happens to her is that after a strong showing in earlier battles, she starts weakening, becoming a dizzy, fainting, damsel in distress (at one point her Alpha crashes and she must be rescued by Max before the Invid Hellcats get to her).

It's revealed that she's pregnant, and that's with her mystical child Aurora, and so she and Max stay on Haydon IV to recuperate until she's born (remember, these are the 1990s Haydonites, who are not sinister characters).

Miriya is completely accepting of her new pregnancy (though it's obvious it was an complete accident), and after Aurora is born, decides not to return to battle, and Max also abstains. It shocks everyone, and is never really explained.

End of the Circle closes with an excerpt from Lisa Hayes' memoir of the Sentinels war (the actual prose closes out just as the SDF-3 returns to Earth), and it reveals that Max and Miriya have become Earth's ambassadors to the Fantoma/Tirol dual group. :huh:

Don't ask me what prompted *that*.

Happy is also right in that Aurora's abilities were never explained. It is true that Miriya was exposed to the toxic atmosphere of Garuda while pregnant, but that's not exposed as the one cause.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."-- Shirley Jackson
"I'm a scary gargoyle on a tower / That you made with Plastic Power"--Gorillaz
13 years 11 months ago #11895

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Gubaba wrote:

Minmay's bed-hopping annoyed me the most, but, as I recall, EVERYONE felt kinda...fake.

That was one of my favorite parts about the Sentinels, but maybe that's because I didn't really care for her. I got the sense that by this time, she's growing old, she's probably not as famous as she once was, and was torn down a bit mostly by Kyle and a little bit by losing Rick. Now she's a little desperate for attention. Then again maybe I was just happy because I felt like she got what she deserved.

I haven't read Sentinels in a long time and never got to finish it because I never found the remaining books. Now someone is borrowing it from me. From what I read, I remember enjoying it a lot. Maybe if I re-read and read the whole thing it I would feel differently.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
13 years 11 months ago #11925

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Why I prefer Robotech:

Because I'm too lazy to read subtitles. :side:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
13 years 11 months ago #11945

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

khoroshen wrote:

Why I prefer Robotech:

Because I'm too lazy to read subtitles. :side:

me too! although I've made some exceptions for kaiju films...
other than that I just watch for the destruction :P

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 11 months ago #11946

• MIlkManX
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • There is no Robotech gospel
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by MIlkManX on topic Re: Why I prefer Robotech

This is a very interesting topic.

I grew up on Robotech. I was 8 in 1985 and this show will forever be burned in my brain.

I got in the RPG later on when I was 12-13 and that is where I learned of the history of Robotech and how it was constructed of 3 different shows. Did not really matter to me. It did explain things in the show though(like why there was not any Macross era mecha in Southern Cross,Etc)

Still I love the show.

I get a hold of a copy of Macross Do You Remember Love in that same era. Blew me away.

Later on in 2001 Robotech finally comes out on DVD. I buy the first Macross sets. I become a member of Robotech.com and Macrossworld.com. I chat with Steve Yun frequently on ICQ.

Then the Animeigo Macross set comes out. I prepay for the thing($260 USD) at the time. I dig it.

Shortly after that they announce Southern Cross and Mospeada for US release also to be cleaned up. I am excited!

Then the legal mess with HG starts up real bad. It gets bad on all the Macross/Robotech web sites.

Hard to be a fan of either at that time so I checked in occasionally.

I watched the various Macross sequels/spin offs. I like a few(Macross Plus) but don't really care for the rest. Mospeada and Southern Cross were never a big hit in Japan so outside of Love,Live,Alive there was nothing.

Robotech though has a great story,sure it has problems but that original 85 episodes work better than it should.

Also in some ways they really improved certain areas from the original shows.

I recently watched Shadow Chronicles and it was ok but lacks something.

Overall I love Robotech and the original shows it is compiled from. I would have never known about these shows had it not been for Robotech on TV in 1985-1987!

It is like loving 2 different realities the same.

The Robotech version and then the original shows and their continuities.
11 years 4 months ago #19804

Replied by Chaos-Blade on topic Re: Why I prefer Robotech

I... like em both, Macross is this great story of war and love, with the exception of 7 that was a giant robot show and weird metaphysics :S, great music and interesting themes. I loved Frontier and has one of the most interesting "Enemies" thus far. honestly, it makes Edwards look like a chump in scope and quality... didn't care much for the movies, though

But Robotech was what got me into this. I was like five when it first aired in my country and was hooked for life.
There are things I didn't like, most notable Southern Cross... but loved Next Gen.
I hate the books with the passion of a thousand suns, it felt cheap and contradicted the source material something fierce, plus it tended to fladerize the characters but... I digress.

I like the end product, it is interesting and intriguing. I like Macross a lot too and Mospeada, and I will say this, Macek, if anything, managed to do the impossible, turned Superdimensional Cavalry Southern cross into something watchable
10 years 5 months ago #20765

Replied by CHIEKO on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Yes, Robotech is amazing
9 years 3 months ago #21149

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Aladdin-Sane wrote: All reasonable points, really. It's all a matter of opinion of course, but those are decent reasons for prefering Robotech.

after seeing what the Goku fanaticism did to the Dragonball story in the end and the obsession some Robotech fans seem to have with Rick over all others, I prefer to leave well enough alone.

Dragon Ball Z being aired on European channels in 2000-2001 was what made anime known among the wider European audience.

(theoretically Pokemon first being aired in 1999-2000 could have cleared a path. Then again, that series was aimed at primary school children, wereas DBZ aimd for a teenage and adolescent audience)

Untill a year and a half ago, I was unaware of the fact that the original Japanese comic book artist behind Dragon Ball had intended for Goku to remain dead after the Cell Saga and Gohan to take his place. In hindsight, I agree that would have been better.
On the other hand, already in the original DB manga, Goku had been pictured as the one warrior that would be the last one standing after all his comrades had been defeated and in the end he was always the one who had the upper hand over the adversaries - so it cannot be entirely blamed on the fans.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 7 months ago #23746

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

I saw Sentinels before Robotech. That had the advantage of not knowing how characters had been portrayed before.

A practical reason for not having read the novels or comics yet is that it is not easy to get your hands on them outside the USA. It's very unlikely to find them when you're walking on a flea marker ofr a book market.

The real reason why I haven't done my best to get my hands on those is that I prefer imagining for myself how it continued. Besides, should Sentinels somehow be produced after all, it seems likely that the creative team will change most of what happened after the Battle for Tirol/Fantoma. Minor setbacks like Max and Miriya hardly being used (that is, most of the comics covers I saw so far seems to have Rick, Lisa and dr. Lang on them, occasionally Minmei, Breetai or Exedore as well; so I assume that other characters had been hardly used) would probably be solved.

I actually like Mirya's remarks in the Sentinels' movie. I see no difference in Rick wondering what's the point in vaccination if no one knows what to vaccinate against or Mirya's what to give to a couple that is going off into space. It were those small remarks that gave a reallife feeling to the story: with no one knowing what would happen once off into space, it seems to me logical to concentrate on the smaller day to day things

Those small details are part of why I like Macross Saga and Sentinels so much.
The lack of those are part of why I am not that interested in the other three sub-sagas.
7 years 7 months ago #23747

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Re: Why I prefer Robotech

Chaos-Blade wrote: I hate the books with the passion of a thousand suns, it felt cheap and contradicted the source material something fierce, plus it tended to fladerize the characters but... I digress.

what does this mean
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
7 years 7 months ago #23750

Time to create page: 0.407 seconds