• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Thank you received: 0

Voltron vs Robotech? was created by rtsurfer

Check out the newest Voltron Force promo,
"THE BIGGEST HIT OF THE 80'S"

So which was a bigger hit in the 80's, Voltron or Robotech?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
12 years 11 months ago #15862

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Voltron vs Robotech?

HMMM...

VOLTRON WAS JUST A REGULAR CARTOON FOR ME. NOTHING MUCH
. I COLLECTED THE LIONS AND THE FIGURES.

BUT ROBOTECH HAD ME MISSING FIRST PERIOD CLASS IN JR.HIGH BECAUSE I WAS CATCHING A LATE MORNING SHOWING. THAT ONE I COULD NOT MISS SINCE IT WAS A CONTINUING STORY.

SO WHICH IS BIGGER? FOR ME IT'S ROBOTECH.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 11 months ago #15865

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re: Voltron vs Robotech?

We never had Voltron on TV, and didn't really know about it until around the late 80's early 90's where it was lost on me as another silly Getter Robo/Gundam type show. lol
12 years 11 months ago #15869

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re: Voltron vs Robotech?

To be honest, as much as I love Robotech, Voltron was the bigger it. More people remember/know of Voltron. It is more "mainstream" in acceptance.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
12 years 11 months ago #15872

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Voltron vs Robotech?

Wow, biggest of the 80s? those are fighting words. To me Voltron was awesome when it started until Robotech came out. Voltron was almost the same story every episode: Robeast attacks and Voltron saves the day. The episodes that had a little extra though in them were great though. Perhaps WEP is making this statement due to the fact that there were actually many more episodes of Voltron produced and aired compared to Robotech's 85 + promises of many more to come which were never seen. Still, I agree that the name is much more well known than Robotech unfortunately.
12 years 11 months ago #15885

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by spark300c on topic Re: Voltron vs Robotech?

Voltron was almost the same story every episode: Robeast attacks and Voltron saves the day.

and that why did not finsh and skip head to ending. I watch voltron online. with robotech I was introduce through the shadow Chronicles and liked and become kook when I saw the original 85. I bought preclude and finished it in two days. Robotech is more epic that voltron.
12 years 11 months ago #15888

When it comes to the 80's, the properties most well known here in the west are -

Transformers, Thundercats, Voltron, G.I. JOE., and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Ghostbusters.

The lesser well known ones are -

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.(Due to less attention since 80's and a semi failed relaunch, has slid into obscurity.)

Robotech

This does not include things such as Smurfs, Scooby-Do, Looney Tunes, etc....which have or are continuations of earlier incarnations.
12 years 11 months ago #15892

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Voltron vs Robotech?

Richardmvela wrote:

When it comes to the 80's, the properties most well known here in the west are -

Transformers, Thundercats, Voltron, G.I. JOE., and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Ghostbusters.

The lesser well known ones are -

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.(Due to less attention since 80's and a semi failed relaunch, has slid into obscurity.)

Robotech

This does not include things such as Smurfs, Scooby-Do, Looney Tunes, etc....which have or are continuations of earlier incarnations.

HE-MAN WAS HUGE HERE IN 1983. WITH MANY CLASSMATES COLLECTING A HUGE TOY LINE OF THE CARTOON SERIES AS CLOSE TO THE STAR WARS FIGURES. ONE OF THE FIRST TO ALSO GET A SPIN OFF MOVIE IN 1987 JUST 4 YEARS LATER.

"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 11 months ago #15896

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re: Voltron vs Robotech?

That was pretty much the major apeal of He-Man, the toy lines. The show itself an advert, it never really survived the social transitions of the industry. I loved the movie in all its nerd glory but what killed it was the first relaunch TV show, New Adventures of He-man, based around a perceived 'sequel' to the movie. The more recent years relaunch was flawed from the initial pitch.
12 years 11 months ago #15899

The thing is, that despite He-Man being popular initially, it is not as remembered or revered as the ones I mentioned. Since their inception, Ghostbuster, Transformers (Arguably the biggest), G.I. JOE, Voltron, TMNT, and Thunndercats, have had continued success or are well known enough to warrant reimaginings.
12 years 11 months ago #15900

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds