unhealthy obsession?

• blasphemousmonkey
  • blasphemousmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

unhealthy obsession? was created by blasphemousmonkey

I'm betting this will get removed and I shall never have an answer. I shall probably be banned as well. But I must give it the old College try!

Ok, so I can no longer stay silent on this. This may come off as harsh.... dilligaff? NOPE!
If some of you put as much effort into creating a business as you do Robotech, you'd be Billionaires!

Second, If you spend every moment of your life dedicated to cartoons or tv shows..... GROW UP! There are far more important things to dedicate your life to! Talking about it is fine, being a fan is fine. Looking up details about equipment in the series is fine. But when it consumes every fiber of your being, so much so that you alienate all your friends and destroy your family then you have a problem! Not a small one, BUT A MAJOR PROBLEM! If you are threatening people with death on a pod cast *Cough* Bendo *Cough* please seek mental help.

Honestly, all this horse crap alienates me further and further from the series. I can't stand it! Let them believe what they want about HG. I don't care anymore. When that company and the series finally goes under, it will have no affect on my life what so ever. Maybe just maybe, I will pause and ponder it for three seconds before resuming my life. I have a family to take care of, and I'm trying to work two jobs plus the National Guard.... so I've more important things to take care of.

I got rid of Television six years ago, and I'm so much happier without it. I try to spend as much of my free time as possible outside learning about the world around me. I enjoy the mountains, the sun..... hell even down pours! I urge those absolutely obsessed with this series or any other, get outside. Go enjoy life. There's more to it than sitting in front of a talking box all the time!
It's ok to enjoy TV shows, just don't let it consume you.

So my question is why is it so important to you, that it consumes every moment of your free time? It's just a TV show..... a cartoon at that. Run by a company about as competent as Soviet Russia, and banishes anyone who has a slight disagreement with them. (I've been on the site since day one, so you can't tell me other wise.)
11 years 5 months ago #19758

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

blasphemousmonkey wrote:

So my question is why is it so important to you, that it consumes every moment of your free time?

WELCOME ABOARD.

FIRST, ANSWER YOUR OWN QUESTION. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO YOU?
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL AND STILL HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO COME BY. I DON'T THINK IT'S AN OBSESSION OF YOURS. BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
11 years 5 months ago #19759

• blasphemousmonkey
  • blasphemousmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by blasphemousmonkey on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

Not really, I'm just tired of seeing friends bashed over a TV show. I came to make my point. I'd figure I'd look around at the discussions and see What the site has to offer. It wouldn't be polite of me to just post and run.

I enjoyed Robotech before all the drama that swept the site and franchise in recent years. I'm thinking about reading the novels over again, but that's as far as my involvement has been in the last few years.
11 years 5 months ago #19760

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

blasphemousmonkey wrote:

Not really, I'm just tired of seeing friends bashed over a TV show. I came to make my point. I'd figure I'd look around at the discussions and see What the site has to offer. It wouldn't be polite of me to just post and run.

I enjoyed Robotech before all the drama that swept the site and franchise in recent years. I'm thinking about reading the novels over again, but that's as far as my involvement has been in the last few years.

AH, SO THAT'S WHATS BUGGING YOU. NO PROBLEM. VENT IF YOU NEED TOO, IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER, WHATEVER THE CASE. EVEN IF ITS OVER A CARTOON.
HEH, SARCASM THERE.

BUT SERIOUSLY, I MEET MANY FANS WHO ARE GOOD FRIENDS THAT DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEMS YOU DESCRIBE. MAYBE ON A PERSONAL LEVEL THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PROBLEMS OUTSIDE OF A T.V. SERIES.
GETTING BASHED? *SHRUGS* I GET BASHED PROBABLY THE MOST AND DOES NOT BOTHER ME.

BUT MAYBE FOR YOU IT HITS WITH SOMEONE CLOSE OR PERSONAL. SO NOT SURE THERE. DO THESE PEOPLE REALLY TAKE THAT MUCH ATTENTION TO WORRY ABOUT IT? ENJOY THE TV SERIES FOR WHAT IT IS. A CARTOON.

AS FOR THE DRAMA IT GOES WAY BACK. BEFORE I EVEN JOINED RT.COM. LETS SEE... THERE WAS MW... UMM RDFHQ... THEN RT.COM.. HERE AS WELL.. ITS JUST THE SAME REGARDLESS. DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU GO OVER THIS CARTOON. AND JUST TO REMIND YOU IT NOT ONLY LIVES IN THIS CRTOON. HECK, i CAME FROM THE STAR WARS FANDOM AND THAT'S EVEN MUCH MORE THERE. LEFT IT LATE 90'S. BUT STILL HAVE SAME CONECTION TO FRIENDS.
I GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS HOW YOU HANDLE IT.
:)

EDIT TO ADD:
SORRY FOR LATE REPLY. HAVE OTHER PRIORITY'S OUTSIDE OF ROBOTECH AS WELL.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 5 months ago #19761

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

I think some of those comments have no validity. It's based on perspective as some individuals DO have a life outside of cartoons and have real life commitments to both family and career. You can't just group a whole fandom and say that they have problems with an obsession with a cartoon.

Too broad of a statement, it's like comparing fans who are obsessed with Call of Duty 4 or reality TV. Maybe the odd individual may go overboard, but most have normal lives.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
11 years 5 months ago #19775

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by aka_s2h on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

Define "Normal" you bunch of weirdo's.
(Checks tin foil hat is secure)
11 years 5 months ago #19776

• MIlkManX
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • There is no Robotech gospel
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by MIlkManX on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

I just try to do it in moderation. I may go on spouts of only being into a certain show/storyline/game. I generally though like the same stuff most of the time. Some people though can get really obsessed!
11 years 4 months ago #19781

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

Personally "normal" is highly overrated. :D

These things are fun to think about and debate on. It's more healthy to "escape" real world issues occasionally and debate the inconsequential and frivolous things in life then it is to always be getting hot under the collar with RL drama.

There are always people who take things too far of course, RT is not alone in this. It wasn't the first and won't be the last. In any event this stuff is supposed to be fun and diverting, don't take the detractor's too seriously.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
11 years 4 months ago #19785

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

blasphemousmonkey wrote:

I'm betting this will get removed and I shall never have an answer. I shall probably be banned as well. But I must give it the old College try!

First off... Welcome aboard. Having been on here for years I'm always open to listen to someone first before I decided if they're full of crap and deserve to be ignored.

Ok, so I can no longer stay silent on this.

Sure you could have. People do it all the time... You’re just making a choice to speak out.

This may come off as harsh.... dilligaff? NOPE!
If some of you put as much effort into creating a business as you do Robotech, you'd be Billionaires!

I do applaud the fact that you didn't lump all fans into the same category... though I do question why you chose this site to vent.

Second, If you spend every moment of your life dedicated to cartoons or tv shows..... GROW UP!

While I agree that there are some people out in the world, in general, that need to grow up, Who are you to say what a person spends every waking moment of their life on? Do you know each and every person (those of who you speak) and what they do all day every day? If you do... What kind of life do YOU have?

There are far more important things to dedicate your life to! Talking about it is fine, being a fan is fine. Looking up details about equipment in the series is fine. But when it consumes every fiber of your being, so much so that you alienate all your friends and destroy your family then you have a problem! Not a small one, BUT A MAJOR PROBLEM! If you are threatening people with death on a pod cast *Cough* Bendo *Cough* please seek mental help.

Why are you worried so much about what other people say or do? I see and hear idiots all the time... but I don't let it get to me personally. Just sit back and watch the circus... enjoy the stupidity.

Honestly, all this horse crap alienates me further and further from the series. I can't stand it! Let them believe what they want about HG. I don't care anymore.

If you don't care... why bother posting? So far your post has centered on saying that people are taking this stuff too serious and need to grow up... but it looks like you are taking this stuff too seriously and way to personal as well. And.. why allow what others say or do alienate you from anything?

When that company and the series finally goes under, it will have no affect on my life what so ever. Maybe just maybe, I will pause and ponder it for three seconds before resuming my life. I have a family to take care of, and I'm trying to work two jobs plus the National Guard.... so I've more important things to take care of.

I applaud that you feel the demise of the series and company won't affect your life... and Hooah to you for being in the National Guard.

I got rid of Television six years ago, and I'm so much happier without it.

I hope this is true... but you seem to have so much pent up anger over this cartoon...

I try to spend as much of my free time as possible outside learning about the world around me. I enjoy the mountains, the sun..... hell even down pours!

We aren't so different in this respect. During the warm summer months, when it does rain here in Texas, You can find me walking barefoot in a t-shirt and a pair of cargo shorts through the rain in the front yard. But I also spend a lot of time self educating... learning history... reading... and yes watching TV.. The History Channel is one of the favorite channels in my house. But I also make time for stupid stuff too.. and other guilty pleasures and I will explain a little more on why later in this post.

I urge those absolutely obsessed with this series or any other, get outside. Go enjoy life. There's more to it than sitting in front of a talking box all the time!
It's ok to enjoy TV shows, just don't let it consume you.

I share your sentiment... everything in moderation... but there is such thing as a little healthy obsession. Most of us consider our wives and children a healthy obsession... and it is ok to have a little healthy obsession with something like Robotech.

So my question is why is it so important to you, that it consumes every moment of your free time?

Though I don't consider myself obsessed with the show, and by that don't really fall into the people you are asking, I will say this..

For me... Robotech came out at a time in my life when a kid starts to really develop the person he becomes. I learned things about friendship and relationships and life that gave me a template for certain aspects of life. As I grew older I developed strong friendships and experienced loss.. Lived life.. and Robotech was always there. Today.. I use Robotech, and other shows from my past as a means of keeping my mind young. Far too many people take life far too seriously... they lose something as they get older... and many of those people become bitter... They lose that child like imagination. I have seen that look in someone's eyes... you can see when it's gone. I promised myself I would NEVER lose that... And viewing Robotech.... having pieces of it around... and enjoying them with my family help me do that.

It's just a TV show..... a cartoon at that.

If it's JUST that.... then why did you waste ANY second of your time to write?

Run by a company about as competent as Soviet Russia, and banishes anyone who has a slight disagreement with them. (I've been on the site since day one, so you can't tell me other wise.)

As for HG... I don't know what goes on behind closed doors... I don't pretend to know why or how things are done... and I don't really care to know how or why people are banned or for what reasons... I've been a member of Rt.com, (If that is the site you are referring too) for years... and over the years I have voiced my opinions and have been in many a heated argument... but I've never been banned.. So... I suppose it all goes to how you do things. I would like to think that whether it be there… here.. or over at MW… that I have earned the respect of those I show respect to. I have many friends on the sites… as well as others.

blasphemousmonkey

I hold no animosity toward you for voicing your thoughts.. I sat here at my desk and answered with NO feeling of emotion.. but a sincere curiosity and willingness to answer your questions but to ask a few of my own. Personally… Most of the time when I deal with the zealots… I sit back and just laugh… I imagine they think I am sitting at my desk fuming… but it’s more fun for me to sit back and smile.

Not really, I'm just tired of seeing friends bashed over a TV show. I came to make my point.

I can see why you might be frustrated… but like you say… it’s a TV show… Why let the zealots get too you… Most of the people who bash other people on the forums are small petty spineless individuals who wouldn’t dare say that stuff to your face… So why lose any sleep over them. They are harmless in their reality and use forums to make themselves feel better about their lives.

I'd figure I'd look around at the discussions and see What the site has to offer. It wouldn't be polite of me to just post and run.

I don’t know who you really are… or whether you and I have spoken on other sites… but stay… enjoy.. I’m not always on… but there are always others around… most of the people here are easy to get along with.

I hope you do… Rediscover Robotech again… without all the B.S… Don’t let all the politics take away from something… you obviously enjoyed at one time.

Thank you for your time and again… Welcome aboard.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
11 years 4 months ago #19786

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: unhealthy obsession?

Well said Mark! :)
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
11 years 4 months ago #19790

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds