Real versions of Rick's Mockingbird and Minmei's Fanliner

• Knightewolfe
  • Knightewolfe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • I''ve been a fan of Robotech since '85
  • Thank you received: 0

Real versions of Rick's Mockingbird and Minmei's Fanliner was created by Knightewolfe

Memo,

(this is probably in the wrong forum, would you mind moving it to the correct forum for me please? Thanks.)

Do any of you Robotech fans believe that with modern day General aviation Aircraft technology that Rick's Mockingbird racer/aerobatic aircraft and Minmei's 'Miss Macross' Fanliner could be built and operated like a modern day General aviation/Sport aircraft?

I am curious about this as I believe that other than the canard/reverse delta wing configuration of 'Mockingbird', both aircraft could be built and equipped for operation.

Hell, I'd like to see the plans for both. Aren't they in one of the Robotech Art Books?

KW
11 years 4 months ago #19783

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re: Real versions of Rick's Mockingbird and Minmei's Fanliner

I honestly don't see why not. I'm only an aircraft Mechanic and not an Aerospace Engineer but I really see very little in their design that couldn't be done with modern tech. I would imaging there would be a great deal of Composites in their design. I get the impression that the wing area may need some tweaking as they seem a bit small. I'd think the Mockingbird would have poor low speed handling and I'd hate to be the pilot who over rotates on takeoff/over flare's on landing in the Fan Liner. Tail strikes really suck. Just my opinion :D
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
11 years 4 months ago #19784

• Knightewolfe
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Knightewolfe on topic Re: Real versions of Rick's Mockingbird and Minmei's Fanliner

Thanx for the info.

I'm just a guy who likes airplanes and one day I hope to learn to fly GA/Sport aircraft.

About those tail strikes you mentioned for Mockingbird, wouldn't the tricycle landing gear set up help alleviate that problem? Though I haven't seen those particular episodes in a long while, last time I watched I thought Mockingbird sat a little high off the ground/deck. I think the aircooler/intake/supercharger/whatever inlet at the ventral fuselage would also need a bit more ground clearance. Maybe Mockingbird is a ducted propfan/turboprop/turbofan aircraft. Dunno.

To me, it looks like both Mockingbird and Fanliner share some design cues (The contra-rotating pusher props and the turbofan/turboprop are a couple). Plus both look like they have a slight rake to them. The rake is very pronounced on Mockinbird when Roy brings Rick and Minmei to where he's had Mockingbird moved to just before the space fold.

Though I'm neither an aerospace engineer nor an aircraft mechanic, if the plans for Mockingbird and Fanliner were ever produced, I'd definately want to study them. And maybe ask Burt Rutan for his input on the design.

KW
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Knightewolfe. Reason: added new info.
11 years 4 months ago #19787

• Knightewolfe
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Knightewolfe on topic Re: Real versions of Rick's Mockingbird and Minmei's Fanliner

Hmm, Interesting. Was rewatching a youtube clip of the X-31 performing the Herbst Turn Maneuver.
If you reversed the delta wing of the X-31, it could possibly be a supersonic fanjet doppleganger of Mockingbird.

I wonder what would happen if the wing of the x-31 was reversed. The reverse swept-wing concept has already been proven (X-29 RSW) and it looks as if t works.
11 years 4 months ago #19788

• Knightewolfe
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Last Valk;

Just found out some info on both planes (within the last hour or so actually)

here's the address:

www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/fanracer.htm

Now the Fanliner looks more conventional than Mockingbird (fan Racer) so I think it would be easier to produce. Kinda like a Scaled Composites Long EZ.

the Fan Racer (Mockingbird) looks like a reverse delta-winged variation of Burt Rutan's VariViggen and VariEZ.

However, the vertical stabilizer of the Fan racer looks like it would seriously screw up some of the aerodynamics of the aircraft. Your thoughts??

KW
11 years 4 months ago #19789

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re: Real versions of Rick's Mockingbird and Minmei's Fanliner

the swept wing design would deffinitly give the craft better functioning at higher speeds. I agree the size of some of the flight surfaces would have to be tweaked. I'd imagine it would have a number of Vortex Generators along the vertical stab.

Aside from some basic alterations I'm sure these could be made to fly for real. One way to find out would be to create an accurate replica for these on X-Plane and see how they handle. Food for thought lol!
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL

11 years 4 months ago #19794

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

I'd prolly forgo the rocket boosters lol. I know the Rockets used on Big Al' tend to have issues on more then a rare occasion.

Member of AkL

11 years 4 months ago #19795

• Knightewolfe
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

True.

However, I don't know a computer programmer and with my laptop acting screwy as it is, I don't think it would run X-plane.

I'd rather have a full gaming rig to run that. Probably an Alienware Rig along with a CH flightstick, rudder pedals, throttle Quadrant (HOTAS) along with all the MFD's and other things needed.

Id also have to move into a house with a large garage/man cave/basement.

I'd probably drop the Rocket boosters as well. All they seem to me are something for the aesthetics. I also think you meant 'Fat Albert' instead of 'Big Al'. Unless we're talking about two different planes.

KW
11 years 4 months ago #19796

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Yeah Fat Albert, i was in a rush when i posted. lol

Alienware deffinitly is nice. Love my M-17x. hehehe. I don't have Xplane either, I just know it's physics system is real enough that it is used for flight testing designs. Someday I'll prolly try it out myself but I lack any type of programming skills myself lol!

Member of AkL

11 years 4 months ago #19797

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Real versions of Rick's Mockingbird and Minmei's Fanliner

HEY, BEFORE I GO INTO WIKIPEDIA WOULD LIKE IT OF YOU GUYS USE THIS FORUM TO ITS FULLEST AND PUT SOME IMAGES...

:P
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
11 years 4 months ago #19798

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds