Parallel between the 20th century Earth and the Robotech universe

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Parallel between the 20th century Earth and the Robotech universe was created by Peter Young

I found this the other day. I liked the dry with in the dialogue.

The reason I post it here: Robotech could have been partially about politics as well: trying to end and prevent war by peacefull negotiations instead of just fighting.

This peace is a reminder that if the diplomats had acted differently during and after World War I, many other conflicts would not have taken place or would have been on a smaller scale.
And thus a proof of the validity of the SDF-III mission, despite dividing Earth's forces.

jeremystrozer.com/h3blog/2016/5/19/agreement
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 11 months ago #22352

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Parallel between the 20th century Earth and the Robotech universe

This always seemed like a missed opportunity in the Masters Saga. Near the end of the story, the Masters tell the RDF that they will grant X amount of time to evacuate the planet, and cease hostilities if the RDF complies. They mention that it was never their intention to wage war upon Earth, which makes sense since they were at the ends of their Protoculture reserves, and could hardly even keep their ships running. As in, their own intention was to come to Earth in peace.

The missed opportunity comes from the very beginning of the story, with what could have been a great tie-in to that ultimatum. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but to my recollection, an unidentified mother ship is approaching Earth, and an outlying space station has gone silent. A guy presses a button to fire missiles at the ship. I would have cut the part about losing contact with the space station, because that provides the evidence of malicious intent on the part of the mothership, making the firing of missiles justified. If the station had not gone silent (been destroyed), the entire 2nd Robotech War could have been chalked up to the guy firing missiles in a panic without first identifying the target and their intentions. It could all have been a great big misunderstanding, which would have given TMS the "Dark Second Chapter Effect" that it desperately needs.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 11 months ago #22353

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Parallel between the 20th century Earth and the Robotech universe

(a bit egocentric perhaps to be the first to reply to a topic I started myself - I did not want to make the opening post too long, but I might elaborate on it)

In a way, World War I caused World War II, which in turn caused the Cold War.
World War I also meant the end of the Ottoman Empire. The downfall of that empire, in combination with Cold War events, caused the current problems in the Middle East.

World War I did NOT automatically cause World War II.
After WW I, both the German and the Habsburg Empires ceased to exist, its emperors went into exile, its nobility was chased out of government and from one moment to the other, democratic governments had to take the place of the previous ones.
In short: political vacuum
Which normally has as much chance of ending up good as ending up bad, but at the Versailles Treaty, the Allies decided to punish the losers of the war politically and made them pay the costs of the war.
There are not that many historians who think Hitler could have risen to power the way he did without the humiliation and the economic devastation of Germany after Versailles.

WW II ended with the Soviet Union getting control over Eastern Europe, which lead to the Cold War.

The 1916 Sykes-Picot Treaty meant that France and the United Kingdom were no longer willing to let the Ottoman Empire exist, which dismantling caused most of the political turmoil in the Middle-East in the rest of the century. Cold War made matters worse: both sides supporting oppressive regimes just to prevent the other side from gaining more influence - some of the Islamic terrorist started as resistance movements against these regimes.

In between he First and the Second Robotech Wars, attempts were made to make peace in order to prevent 'RW II'.
With the 20th century in mind, spending time and money on the RDF-III mission seems rational and defensible, despite leaving Earth more vulnerable.

(of course the same thing could be said for post-'Next Generation' stories focusing on striving for peace instead of yet another war against a killer invader race)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 11 months ago #22354

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Parallel between the 20th century Earth and the Robotech universe

Alpha Bravo, I did not see you posting when I was writing my reply. At least I haven't written the first reaction myself :laugh:
7 years 11 months ago #22355

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds