The Divided Fandom

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

The Divided Fandom was created by SIGHUP

Please to all who post a fair warning has been issued. Keep it clean. These issues need to be discussed but in a proper manner. So let's keep it PG-13. Or else the topic is getting canned.

I re-discovered Robotech back in 2007, for better or worse I also happened to come back right when Shadow Chronicles was released. Which was excellent timing! I thankfully did not have to endure the period of nothing-in-between like some long-time fans.

I also was unaware of the ugly side of the divided Robotech fandom. When I read around the forums in Robotech.com, the Canon issue came up a lot. The novels and comic, etc.

Now, enlightened first hand on the "ugly-side", I realize that it is simply inevitable. Robotech fans seem to be smarter and brighter than you're average sci-fi fan. With strong wills and opinions. It also seems natural that with such type of fan heated discussion and difference of opinions will happen. Up to the passionate point we have all seen.

I'm curious to know what everyone's take on this is. . .
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 7 months ago #6058

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:The Divided Fandom

Well... For me Robotech is what I've always thought it was.. A great story with characters that you could get to know and love no matter what side they were on.

There are some who can't seem to get over the dreaded word "canon".

I enjoy Robotech in its entirety.. There is a place in my mind and heart for each version whether it be the original show, or comics, the McKinney novels, Sentinels, or The Untold Story.

I have the ability to look at a topic and decide how to answer without throwing out the words "that's not canon!".

It's sad to see so many fans at each other over petty differences when its Robotech that brings us together in the first place.

We need to all realize that Robotech is more then the sum of the word "canon". Just because someone may enjoy the novels more then the modern comics doesn't mean they are any less a fan or in some way less intelligent.

I'm proud to say that I have the original series cartoons in my collection... And I'm proud to say that I have all the McKinney novels. I'm proud to say that I have the Sentinels, and The Untold story in my collection as well... And I'm proud to say that in some way... In some part... ALL of it is "canon" to me... WHY?.... Because of one word... ROBOTECH.

And when it comes to that... Its the only word that really matters to me.

Thank you for your time..

If your in the States...have a great Labor day weekend... To everyone else... Have a safe weekend.

Mark
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Mark-Warlock.
14 years 7 months ago #6061

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:The Divided Fandom

MARK HIT IT ON THE SPOT.

AND WOULD ADD THAT, THAT IS WHAT CREATES SUCH A DIVIDE WITH "CANON" SINCE THE BEGINNING OF ROBOTECH TIME. ESPECIALLY SINCE THE INTERNET. MANY FANS TOOK IT UPON THEMSELVES TO STAR FORUMS OR THEIR OWN RESEARCH GROUPS AND SITE CONTRIBUTING AN EXPANDED UNIVERSE OF THEIR FAVORITE CHARACTER OR SAGA, OR CANON.

THEN ADD THE FANS THAT FOLLOWS THE SAME THING AND OTHERS WITH DIFFERENT VIEWS ARE THROWN ASIDE. JUST BECAUSE THEY DISAGREE OR HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION.

ROBOTECH OFFERS NOT JUST A STORY, BUT MANNY CHARACTERS THAT ONE CAN CONTINUE EXPAND ITS UNIVERSE IN THEIR OWN MIND AS A STORY. THEN ADD HG TO THE PICTURE WHEN THEY OPENED UP THEIR SITE AND STARTED CLEANING THE CONTINUITY ASPECT OF IT. ADDING AND TAKING AWAY MANNY PEOPLES THOUGHTS OF WHAT ROBOTECH HAS BEEN ALL THESE YEARS TO THEM.

AND THEIR ARE THOSE WHO CANT ENJOY IT FOR WHAT IT IS BUT FOR WHAT THEY WANT IT TO BE. WHICH CAUSES THAT DIVIDE AS WELL, TAKING PART WITH ANYONE THAT FITS THEIR CAUSE TO DISAGREE OR TO FURTHER PROVE A POINT.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #6066

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds