Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better? was created by SIGHUP

Here is an attempt to discuss this civilly. It probably won't happen and this will get tossed in the Cannon Fodder. So help me out and keep it civil!

So some people think that Harmony Gold is going a bang out crap job on Robotech. I know it is easy to accuse, but what would you do better? Could you do better? How do you keep the thousands of Robotech fans all happy? I think its impossible. Someone will always be dissatisfied.

What is my opinion on how HG is handling Robotech?

I am a supporter of Robotech, not its corporation. This is why I work on this site. To be honest, to me HG is doing just ok. At least I can give them credit for the prospect of a Live-Action film. I thought Shadow Chronicles was ok. I see it this way, if it turns to "crap" later on I can always just live with my original three sagas. Which nothing will EVER be able to replace for me. Especially the Macross Saga, which is my and probably 90% of Robotech fan's favorite.

So now? What do you think? How could you make it better?
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 7 months ago #6059

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Zen72
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

In comparison to other scifi franchises that have been in existence LESS time than Robotech, Harmony Gold's "efforts" to progress this franchise in more than 20 years since the Original 85 has been less than stellar.

And this is just my opinion. I think it has turned into a Shadow Chronicles love fest and the Original 85 have been relegated to an afterthought or footnote in Robotech's history.

Ummm...without the original 85...there is NO Shadow Chronicles...

I think the success of any franchise is based on results and growth and in 24 years Harmony Gold's best example of this is the Shadow Chronicles? No matter how many blinders they can put on....it did not change the face of Robotech.

What I would do? Robotech has a rich history. The original 85, novels, comics, rpgs, AND the fan fics/art/websites/productions(which I believe IS the franchise right now)....A history with it's highs and lows...and despite the lows...there is still a loyal fan base...celebrate that ENTIRE history and YES...that includes the mistakes and failures....but dont' put all your eggs in the basket of a PROPOSED live action movie hoping that will revive things. What if that fails or never comes out?

Other science fiction franchise parent companies do it...the effort and initiative to keep the franchise strong...why does Harmmony Gold/Robotech have to be the exception?...and that is an exception NOT to be proud of....

I've enjoyed Robotech since 1985 but I can't say I am a fan of Harmony Gold. I can only hope that they better job with the franchise, respecting it and respecting the FANDOM. Especially with the 25th anniversary coming up.

And this is one fan's opinion, NOT a gospel. For those who think that Harmony Gold is doing a great job, more power to you. The diversity of opinion is what it's all about. In the end the common bond is that we are all Robotech fans.

The whole premise is to enjoy it...

Peace!

Zen72---"JT"
14 years 7 months ago #6060

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

Unfortunately, HG's stagnant situation really holds no hope for improvement. The LAM and Shadow Rising nothwithstanding, the comany has a real and detrimental issue at hand.

Other SciFi franchises do what they can to promote fan participation. A prime example is LucasFilms, and thier website 'TheForce.Net'. To a lesser degree, Paramount, with Star Trek, also promotes fan-participation to a large degree.

HG, however, does nothing but stifle fan participation, except when such participation is of the type that can best be described as blind fan-boy devotion.

Point One: Harmony Gold's long-standing embargo on Macross has strained thier credibility on many things. While the popularity of Macross continues to rise, the resentment for HG rises as well. HG would've done good to try and repair that rift and allow Macross to exist legitimitely, when the management shifted to Yune.

Point Two: In retrospect, many of the projects that have occured after the original 85 episodes have met with mixed approval, if not downright disgust. A trend that has existed to this day. The most recent project, "The Shadow Chronicles, has sparked countless debates as to the quality of the movie, the apparent effort involved, the design of the characters, and weather or not the links to past characters was a good thing or not. (These debates are perpetuated Ad Nauseum, to no real conclusion.) Harmony Gold would do well to take a very hard look at thier past projects, see where they've failed, and make a very concerted effort to change this direction.

Point Three: In specific regards to the website Robotech.com, HG simply uses this to promote thier Convention agenda and sell toys (The quality of which is something for antoher debate). In specific reference to the site, Harmony Gold could do better to update it, and reassign Mods. Recent controversies abound through that site, and all it does is alienate people from all different sides of the existing fanbase.

Of course, these are simple speulations based on a hypothetical question.
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 7 months ago #6062

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Admiral Commander & Chief lol

Replied by isamu on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

I always saw it this way!
I'f you can do better PROVE IT, if you cant, then just STFU. dont just winne, point fingers and expect that its going to fix its self.

work hard for your goals, dont day dream and live in a fantasy.

I'm going to try, and do my best on what I love to do.

yeah being a fan is why im here, and to share what I like with you guys is key to the fandom, and to the future of Robotech.

I would hope to work for HG someday, and maybe add my 2 cents, but pointing fingers wont get me there to make a change!

if they could do it, so can I...

these are my thoughts, thnx
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
14 years 7 months ago #6064

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

isamu

I would hope to work for HG someday, and maybe add my 2 cents, but pointing fingers wont get me there to make a change!

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
WOW

YOU DON'T SEE THAT EVERYDAY.

I MEAN, YEAH, HG BASHERS ANYTIME.. READ AND READ ON.. BUT TO ACTUALLY COME OUT AND SAY WORK FOR HG...?
JUST WOW.

I WISH YOU THE BEST ISAMU. REALLY. I SEEN YOUR ART AND CONTRIBUTION HERE IN THE FANDOM. AND HOW YOU PROGRESSED AND HELPED US OVER ALL. AND IF YOU HAVE TEH DESIRE TO WORK FOR HG. I HOPE YOU SUCCEED. LET US KNOW HOW THAT WORKS OUT. I MEAN, I KNOW TWO FANS THAT DID THAT AND SUCCEDED.

TOM BATEMAN AND KEVIN MCEEVER. CASUAL JOES AND ALL AROUND FANS WHO GOT THERE AND WERE/ARE PART OF THAT WHOLE ROBOTECH CREATION.

Could you do it better?

WELL, ISAMUS ON THE RIGHT TRACK AND I WISH HIM LUCK

HG IS A COMPANY. AND MOVES ON WHAT SELLS AND PERFORMS. ONE HAS TO COLLECT INFO FROM ALL AROUND. SOME SAY FAILED, DISREGARD, OR NON SUPPORTIVE. BUT TO THAT EFFECT ON HG IT HAS NOT BECOME. HG HAS PROVEN HOW FAR THEY CAN PUSH A PILOT THAN NO ONE WANTED, REMEMBER? NO ONE WANTED TO BE PART OF CONTINUATION OF ROBOTECH IN EARLY 2002. NO NETWORK PICKED IT UP. AND NO DISTRIBUTOR..

BUT HG DID NOT GIVE UP AND DECIDED TO DO IT ON THEIR OWN. A PILOT WAS SCRAPPED AND GROWNED TO A MOVIE. BY 2004 THEY HAD DECIDED TO MARKET IT AS A MOVIE AND AT THE SAME TIME DRAW IN MANNY FANS WITH MANY DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES. INCLUDING HOW TO BRING IN NEW FANS.

HATE IT OR LOVE IT, SIT BACK AND LOOK.. THEY SUCCEED. IT SOLD 3 TIMES AS MUCH, BIGGEST DOWNLOAD (HULU) AND WE NOW KNOW HOW WORLD WIDE THIS ROBOTECH WENT.

AND AS A COMPANY, THEIR BOTTOM LINE IS WHAT MATTERS AS WELL. NOT FANDOM SQUABBLES OR SMALL DISCONTENT FANS.

ITS LIKE WINDOWS, THOSE THAT HATE BILL GATES AND WINDOWS, BUT THAT BABY BEEN SUCCESSFUL AS WELL AND IT IS USED IN CORPORATIONS AND IN HOMES. EVEN THOUGHT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HATE BILL GATES. YOU THINK HE IS WORRIED?

HE HAS A PROVEN RECORD AS AN INDIVIDUAL, A COMPANY, AND A FRANCHISE.

HG IS NO LESS DIFFERENT IN HOW THEY RUN THINGS. AND THEY HAVE PROVEN THAT THEIR PRODUCT IS WORKING. NO ONE CAN SHOW OTHERWISE.

BEST WAY TO DEFINE A NON SUCCESS IF SALES WOULD HAVE DROPPED OR HG BEING IGNORED. BUT AS TO THIS DATE IT HAS NOT HAPPENED.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #6069

Replied by sorral on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

I am one who honestly thinks HG has really dropped the ball with RT. Heck, I got kicked off RT.com for saying so.

What would I have done differant?
1. I would have done a better job at securing the rights to the original stories..HG really screwed up there. Contracts should have been clear that they have the right to use the characters and story for future projects.

2. The Sentinals should have been finished. It would have provided continuity for the series.

3. I would have worked on keeping RT in the public eye. lower priced toys in major stores, video games, and other stuff.

4. I would keep the website up to date. Infopedia and trivia and news

5. I would have gotten better voice talent to play Minmea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I would not have allowed the woman characters in The Shadow Chronicles to look like off duty hookers! (I had to explain that one to my kids) :unsure:

7. I would not have allowed someone to change what was cannon.

These things are just off the top of my head. Would these things guarantee that RT would have done better?.... I can not say for sure, but it would have helped to make RT a larger player in the market.
Taking main character out of a story is never a good idea, and RT does it constantly. Look at the franchises that work and survived, they kept the main characters intact in the story.

Again this is all just my $.o2
"Guns don't kill, husbands that come home early do"....Larry the Cable Guy
14 years 7 months ago #6071

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it bett

Standing Ovation to Isamu!,Excellent Point!

On the subject,alot of fans and haters do not realize that Robotech was at a stand still due to Matchbox not making the premium toys wanted and caused Harmony Gold to lose funds to continue the series so fans and haters said Robotech was screwed by Harmony Gold for 20 years and "I can do better" attitude or hatred for no movement.Harmony Gold did do its part by licensing Robotech for comics and books,but the writers were to blame for bad quality.Not Harmony Gold.

I can safely believe that Robotech would have done well up to today if HG did not contract out with matchbox to make toys to fund projects and if Carl Macek fought for his original story idea for Robotech:The Untold Story.

If Harmony Gold was not dedicated to us Robotech fans then consider that they made Robotech II The Sentinels with little or no money at all.

But on the subject,I would gladly bring back Carl Macek just so he can RE-do Robotech The Untold Story the way he wanted to before editing.
14 years 7 months ago #6104

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it bett

isamu wrote:

I'f you can do better PROVE IT, if you cant, then just STFU. dont just winne, point fingers and expect that its going to fix its self.

If this is not the most absurd defense of Harmony Gold's hamhanded handling of Robotech, it's definitely in the top five.

I'll never understand why Robotech die-hards have to try and make every legitimate criticism out to be "whining", "hating", or "trolling". Behavior like that just makes the fandom look bad. If people don't think Harmony Gold is doing a good job, they have every right to express that opinion. That's freedom of speech. If you don't like that, you're welcome to turn off your computer and go do something else.

You do realize that your statement there is asinine, right? It's not like you can just decide to join the Harmony Gold creative staff, or make your own Robotech TV show in your basement. Believe me, if such a thing WERE possible, I would have done it ages ago. Fans are entitled to offer their input on the creative process in the form of criticism and suggestions, and many do. Believe it or not, Harmony Gold has actually occasionally taken such sentiments to heart. Some of my suggestions for improving the accuracy of the Infopedia have even been acted upon in the past... (shock and horror, I'm sure :p)

Many of the fans who don't think Harmony Gold is doing a good job have undertaken fan projects to do what they can to expand the Robotech universe in the way they think it should be done. Many of them follow the plans that Carl Macek originally laid out for its future. Believe me, if they had the power to get that stuff used in Harmony Gold's creative process, they would.

sorral wrote:

What would I have done differant?
1. I would have done a better job at securing the rights to the original stories..HG really screwed up there. Contracts should have been clear that they have the right to use the characters and story for future projects.

2. The Sentinals should have been finished. It would have provided continuity for the series.

3. I would have worked on keeping RT in the public eye. lower priced toys in major stores, video games, and other stuff.

4. I would keep the website up to date. Infopedia and trivia and news

5. I would have gotten better voice talent to play Minmea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I would not have allowed the woman characters in The Shadow Chronicles to look like off duty hookers! (I had to explain that one to my kids) :unsure:

7. I would not have allowed someone to change what was cannon.

These are all good ideas, though I would have to say that they ARE facing some unpleasant bottlenecks in the whole news section, since it all has to go through corporate approvals first. That's probably not going to change, and really is unavoidable.

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

On the subject,alot of fans and haters do not realize that Robotech was at a stand still due to Matchbox not making the premium toys wanted and caused Harmony Gold to lose funds to continue the series

This is a factually incorrect statement. Robotech was at a standstill after 1987 because of the poor results for Robotech: the Movie in test screenings (which caused it to be pulled from US release) and the primary factor for the cancellation of Sentinels was the exchange rate crash, though Matchbox dropping out didn't help.

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

so fans and haters said Robotech was screwed by Harmony Gold for 20 years and "I can do better" attitude or hatred for no movement.Harmony Gold did do its part by licensing Robotech for comics and books,but the writers were to blame for bad quality.Not Harmony Gold.

Again with this silly pretense of "anyone who disagrees with me is a hater".

FANS were dissatisfied with the inconsistent and often poor quality of the comics, and didn't see them or the McKinney novels as a viable substitute for an animated series. Kevin McKeever himself has acknowledged the problems with the comics being mainly a function of Harmony Gold giving a license to anyone willing to pay for it, and having little-to-no creative oversight on those projects. Their next attempt at delivering such a series was met with such disgust from the fans that for many, it was proof that Harmony Gold had no clue what the fans wanted. Fans have GOOD REASONS for being dissatisfied with Harmony Gold's handling of the series, whether you agree with them or not.

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

If Harmony Gold was not dedicated to us Robotech fans then consider that they made Robotech II The Sentinels with little or no money at all.

They DIDN'T make Robotech II: the Sentinels with "little or no money". They took what had already been made before the exchange rate crash and Matchbox's bailing on them and released it... then sold licenses to a few comic companies and let them run with it.

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

But on the subject,I would gladly bring back Carl Macek just so he can RE-do Robotech The Untold Story the way he wanted to before editing.

Really? If it were in my power to make one and only one creative decision for the future of Robotech, I would demote Tommy Yune to assistant creative director and bring back Carl Macek to direct the ongoing story. Tommy is doing an okay job... but his story really isn't anything like consistent with the original, and is missing a lot of what made the original so groundbreaking.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 7 months ago #6111

Replied by mage on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

IT SOLD 3 TIMES AS MUCH

yeah, why invest in making something great when mediocre churns out greater profits
target by association

Proud Ecksbawks 360 owner
14 years 7 months ago #6112

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

mage

yeah, why invest in making something great when mediocre churns out greater profits

THATS THE THING. EVEN HG STAF HAS SAID THAT AS THEIR FIRST PROJECT, THAT THEY HAVE LEARNED A LOT AND ARE GOING TO GET SOMETHING BETTER FOR SHADOW RISING.

AS MYSELF, I ONLY HOPE THEY DO.

EVERYONE KNOWS THIS WAS TOMMY'S FIRST STABB AT AN ANIMATION. STILL TO EARLY AS OF NOW. BUT I WILL WAIT AND SEE HOW THE SECOND TURNS OUT.

AS FOR CARL MACEK AND HG, I DID NOT LIKE THAT THEY DROPPED THE BALL AFTER THE ORIGINAL EPESODES AIRED. EVERYONE CHANGING SCRIPTS, PULLING OUT OF PRODUCTIONS, ROBOTECH LICENSE GOING ALL OVER THE PLACE AND TIME LINE WAS EVEN WORSE.

BUT AS OF 2002 SINCE THE NEW STAFF (MINUS TOM BATEMAN NOW), HG HAS BEEN ABLE TO RECOVER MUCH OF WHAT WAS LOST AND REDOING ROBOTECH.. OR SHOULD I SAY, STRIGHTINING ROBOTECH. TO EARLY TO TELL. JUST THAT IN A SAD WAY BUT GOOD, THE RLAM CAME. I SAY SAD BECOUSE SHADOW RISING WAS ABOUT TO START PRODUCTION RIGHT AFTER SHADOW CHRONICLES.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #6115

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds