Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Dread on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

I am a die hard fan of the original 85 episodes, comics, and even the Jack McKinney novel adaptations. I've only briefly seen any of the newer series, but, though I thought the stories were fairly shallow, they didn't have 35 editions to tell the story, and worked as stand alone stories within the RT universe.

Now to the Shadow Chronicles. As a purely stand alone movie, it would have been just a bit above marginal. As a continuation, it left much to be desired. However, with that said, I have to say I recognize the efforts that went into the creation of a first-time CGI movie. The true surprise is that SC did as well as it did. There was a thirst for a developing story, and SC fed it, but it did not satiate it.

As a first time effort, it was a good shot. A seasoned team probably can look at the efforts and see many flaws. The much harped upon, ever-growing breasts of the female characters, the stiff, unnatural movements of the mecha in any mode, and the bash of a plot line are all widely derided, but rarely are better options presented. Finger pointing gets no one anywhere.

Understanding that the movie was a first effort, and passing on the knowledge that the team will be expected to do much better on their next one, is what the fans are trying to tell HG and the team. After all, if no improvement happens, then the team will well and truly have shot themselves in the foot, live action movie or not.
Co-Commander, 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group, Bravo Company.

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
14 years 7 months ago #6116

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by Redbeardrum on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

For one thing, if I were in HG shoes, I would try to find a way to work with the creators of the MechWarrior franchise toward a mutual benefit instead of issuing cease and desist orders. This action will only serve to piss off Battletech fans and PC gamers in general.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Redbeardrum.
14 years 7 months ago #6118

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

Redbeardrum

For one thing, if I were in HG shoes, I would try to find a way to work with the creators of the MechWarrior franchise toward a mutual benefit instead of issuing cease and desist orders. This action will only serve to piss off Battletech fans and PC gamers in general.

PROBLEM WITH THAT IS WHAT IF WB WANTS TO DO A ROBOTECH GAME? IF H.G. SELLS THE RIGHTS TO THE MECHA GAME DEVELOPERS.. THEY LOOSING ON A MUCH BIGGER CONTRACT AND A "MAYBE" BETTER GAME FROM WB. THE NEW BATMAN GAME FROM WB IS GETTING GREAT REVIEWS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #6119

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

Dread

As a first time effort, it was a good shot. A seasoned team probably can look at the efforts and see many flaws. The much harped upon, ever-growing breasts of the female characters, the stiff, unnatural movements of the mecha in any mode, and the bash of a plot line are all widely derided, but rarely are better options presented. Finger pointing gets no one anywhere.

Understanding that the movie was a first effort, and passing on the knowledge that the team will be expected to do much better on their next one, is what the fans are trying to tell HG and the team. After all, if no improvement happens, then the team will well and truly have shot themselves in the foot, live action movie or not.

THIS I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. ESPECIALLY WITH WB ON BOARD WITH THE LIVE ACTION.. LETS JUST SEE WHAT PLAYS OUT.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #6120

Replied by treiz on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it bett

If you can do better PROVE IT, if you cant, then just STFU.

I agree. Though even if I could do better than the guys at HG I wouldn't, I don't envy them the situation that they have had to deal with.

Personally I plan to make my own sandbox rather than playing in HG's.
14 years 7 months ago #6125

Replied by Redbeardrum on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Redbeardrum

PROBLEM WITH THAT IS WHAT IF WB WANTS TO DO A ROBOTECH GAME? IF H.G. SELLS THE RIGHTS TO THE MECHA GAME DEVELOPERS.. THEY LOOSING ON A MUCH BIGGER CONTRACT AND A "MAYBE" BETTER GAME FROM WB. THE NEW BATMAN GAME FROM WB IS GETTING GREAT REVIEWS.

First off, no one makes a better ground-based Mech game than MechWarrior. For the record the core MechWarrior franchise is a complex PC based simulation(or as much of a sim as you can have based on somthing that doesn't exist) while any future Robotech games will likely be console based and more arcade like so they will not be in direct competition. Secondly, the vast majority of Robotech fans want a fighter based mech game. Also Batman: Arkham Asylum It was developed by Rocksteady Studios and published by Eidos Interactive, all WB and DC did was allow them to use the license and possibly offer some nontechnical advisory support.

I provided a link in the previous post did you read it? Here it is again:
www.tomshardware.com/news/MachWarrior-PC...rmony-Gold,8601.html
Two designs look vaguely similar, so the game could be canceled. Is denying the consumers product a good business model? Is creating enmity among a potential consumer base going to be worth it?
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Redbeardrum.
14 years 7 months ago #6126

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

Redbeardrum wrote:

First off, no one makes a better ground-based Mech game than MechWarrior.

Redbeardrum has an indisputable point, MEMO.

MechWarrior has been one of the best-selling mecha game series since its inception. They're right up there with Armored Core on a consistent basis. If Harmony Gold and Warner Bros had a lick of sense, they'd let Piranha Games use a modified version of the design, with the caveat that they were obligated to do a video game for the Robotech movie, if and when it comes out.

Redbeardrum wrote:

Two designs look vaguely similar, so the game could be canceled. Is denying the consumers product a good business model? Is creating enmity among a potential consumer base going to be worth it?

Similar enough to be actionable, I'm afraid... odds are the game won't be canceled, they'll just delay it for a while to let them pull out the offending design(s) (there may be more than one) and replace them with something else.

Harmony Gold's reputation is already pretty lousy in the anime hobbyist community. While they might not have much left to lose, reputation-wise, further offending the fans of a much more popular series is not going to be good for business. Especially since all of those offended fans are potential consumers of Robotech products if the LAM makes it off the drawing board.
14 years 7 months ago #6129

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it bett

Seto Kaiba wrote:

I'll never understand why Robotech die-hards have to try and make every legitimate criticism out to be "whining", "hating", or "trolling". Behavior like that just makes the fandom look bad.

Uhh,Seto kaiba,you make the macross franchise look bad when you "whinnie" "hate" and "troll" our Robotech web sites and crying your lame arguments about copyright laws and then pretend you are a Robotech fan when clearly your actions prove the opposite.And then you go to another so-called "Robotech site" and macross web site and trash talk and then come back here and try to have a civil debate when we know your true intentions is to cause people to hate you more (if that is even possible:) ) and then you cry when we meet you with the same negativity like you shown to Isamu.

Sad your intentions are only meant to troll and bait or a hypocrite because if you dislike people and a franchise then why else would you come here or Robotech.com?

Oh Seto,Are you really Don Rickles?
14 years 7 months ago #6130

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

And this thread was doing so well.

Let me remind you. Stay on topic. Its not a lets bash hg or seto thread. Its about the fans describing how you could do it better. A few people understood that on earlier posts.

Pizza and Seto stay on topic.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 7 months ago #6131

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Admiral Commander & Chief lol

Replied by isamu on topic Re:Harmony Gold and Robotech: Could you do it better?

seto wrote:

If this is not the most absurd defense of Harmony Gold's hamhanded handling of Robotech, it's definitely in the top five.

I'll never understand why Robotech die-hards have to try and make every legitimate criticism out to be "whining", "hating", or "trolling". Behavior like that just makes the fandom look bad.

yes I defend HG and then I dont!
I've mentioned in the past that I love both series (us and Japanese) I love Macross Plus much much more! hint my name "isamu" and no matter if im a Robotech die-hard or a Macross die-hard, everyone bitches and moans, by pointing this out, you also fall in that category aswell my friend lol :P

seto cont.

You do realize that your statement there is asinine, right? It's not like you can just decide to join the Harmony Gold creative staff, or make your own Robotech TV show in your basement. Believe me, if such a thing WERE possible, I would have done it ages ago.

funny thing! you can make an animation, anime, or even a comic in your basement! people do it all the time.
and who sais I cant join HG?! or Any other animation company anyways?! and why havent you done your series...? is not yeat determind, but I hope its good and wish the best of luck! we all have are choices, and I respect and defend both Robotech fans and Macross fans

anyways... going back to the topic

Why people do fan works? why do people say that they can do something better?!, or to show there love to the series?!.

in my opinion you cant do something better, but you can improve on it, for example if you have a piece of rotten meat and you add a cherry on top, does taht make it better?

we can all agree that every fanart or fanfic including "minez" SUCK!!! except for a few (but that have never been posted on this site!)...

I've heard of fans who were able to make it into HG and either, go on to do other works, or fail because there not able to keep up.

yeah Macross 7 and zero were not that great! but they were able to come out with Macross F which I Loved
yeah Shadow Chronicles was not that great either,
but for there future work?! unknown?

and that my defence and my thoughts...
You're friendly neighborhood Robotech/Macross fan.
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by isamu.
14 years 7 months ago #6133

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds