ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

I wonder if a model beam cannon could fit onto my masterpiece fast pack?
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
14 years 7 months ago #6300

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mark-Warlock
  • Mark-Warlock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

BlackConvoy

If the cannon is the same scale then you should be able to modify it to fit..

You could also scratch build one using tube and sheet styrene stock from "Evergreen". You can find that at any well stocked hobby shop or on the internet.

Hope this helps you out.

Mark
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
14 years 7 months ago #6305

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center: WARNING!

Ok guys and gals here is something you may not have thought of... and to he quite honest I hadn't given it much thought either.

For those of us who enjoy displaying your models, we do our best to provide them with a safe and dust free place to rest. If possible we keep them in a glass display case to help cut down on dust build up. Many of you may have lighted display cases where you store your models as well as other Robotech items. This is where this alert comes from.

Recently I was at a friend’s house and we were discussing Robotech and Modeling. Now he has a very nice collection of rare and expensive kits that he has assembled over the years. He keeps them in a very nice lighted display case away from the curious hands of his 3 year old daughter.

Well on my most recent visit we got to talking about his kits and I asked if I could examine one of them a little closer. He was more then happy to oblige since he knows how careful I am with my completed kits... (Let's just say the word Anal is an understatement.) He opens the cabinet and removes the kit from the top shelf and was nearly floored by what he saw.

Now he only turns the light on every now and then when guest are over or some special occasion... but that was enough to begin warping the engine nacelles and splitting the seams open. The horror didn't stop there... he also found some yellowing and discoloration on several other kits.

Now fortunately with a little work... a donor kit... and time all the kits can be repaired... but I offer his experience as a warning to us all.

IF you do keep your kits in a lighted case... be sure not to keep a kit directly below the light... use some kind of heat sink or light diffuser to help prevent damage to your precious kits.

You may also consider replacing any halogen or bulbs to high intensity LED lights to help reduce heat build up in your display case.

Heat is not only damaging to your kits… but to your highly prized Robotech collectable toys as well. I know the last thing anyone wants is to open their case to find heat damage to a rare expensive item.

Hope this helps shed some light on the subject…. (Sorry couldn’t help the pun)

Thank you for your time, happy modeling.

Mark
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

14 years 6 months ago #6544

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

WOW.. SAD STORY MAN. CONDOLENCES TO YOUR FRIEND.

THE LIGHT THING I KNEW ALREADY. WHY I ALWAYS KEEP MY TOYS N THE BOX. I AM ALSO CAREFUL NOT TO HAVE OIL IN MY HANDS OR TO MUCH SOAP AFTER WASHING MY HANDS WHEN HANDLING THEM. THE CHEMICALS CAN TRANSFER TO THE TOY CAUSING DAMAGE. I GO AS FAR AS USING SOCKS, THAT'S RIGHT, SOCKS IN MY HANDS TO HANDLE RARE TOYS AND ORIGINAL PENCIL DESIGNS OF MACROSS/ROBOTECH WORKS.

YOU FIGURE I WOULD HAVE MY STUFF ALL AROUND THE HOUSE BUT IN REALITY EVERYTHING IS IN A BOX.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 6 months ago #6545

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Thats a shame. Let me ask, lets say you want to display, but dont have the room for glass casing. What would be a good alternate?
14 years 6 months ago #6805

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

blackconvoy_D01

Now days, having room for display cases is hard to come by for many people. With some homes having smaller rooms and such space is at a premium.

There are alternatives for your displaying purposes that will allow you to show off your things without taking up needed floor space.

Wall mounted shelves are of course the first and best bet. And if you are looking to save a few dollars, Head over to your local hobby story like HOBBY LOBBY or MICHEAL's MJ Design. They have sections dedicated to wood work. In that section you will often find pre-made natural wood shelves. They are relatively cheap and can be stained or painted to match your needs. I picked up a couple shelves for my house and after staining and finishing was still under $25 bucks.

Store bought shelves are good to use as well.. but depending on what you want they can get a little pricy. There are "do it your self" kits that you can purchase that will provide metal hangers and brackets all you do is supply the wood you want to use.

Be aware though, that of course when you have your collectables on open shelves you will want to dust them more often. While dust is more of a nuisance then anything, if left unchecked can cause damage to delicate model finishes.

Hope this helps,

Mark

14 years 6 months ago #6819

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Ive got the shelf already. Its an IKEA five pannel space shelf. Each pannel is big enough to sold either two 1/55 VF's in Battloid, or one in guardian. So I guess to rephrase, what would get to place the MPC's into, and then mount on these pannels to avoid dust?
14 years 6 months ago #6820

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

blackconvoy_D01

As with modeling and customizing, sometimes you need to think outside the box. You may want to try going to your local hardware store and purchasing some clear acylic sheet or plexiglas. It can be cut to the desired size and can be mounted to the shelves in various way depending on your needs.

Just about any wood box that is large enough to hold the intended item can be turned into a display using the acrylic.

You could also build one yourself. I did this several years ago using six inch wide boards that were half and inch thick.

I built a box that was 4 ft by 2 ft by 6 inches deep. Since I only needed 2 sections I separated the box in half long ways. I cut a piece of acrylic stock to the exact dimensions of the entire box and then mounted it to the front using thin small hinges I purchased at a hobby store. I made a small recess in both the box and the acrylic to accept a pair of small magnets. The result was a sealable display that I could open and close easily. The magnetic catches helped to keep the door secure.

Displays are everywhere and with a keen eye even an old entertainment center can be converted into a unique and custom display center.

Thank you for your time,

and Hope this helps you out.

Mark

Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by Mark-Warlock.
14 years 6 months ago #6860

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

very cool Mark, thank you. I will be taking all your advice under consideration. I will post my results.
14 years 6 months ago #6861

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

blackconvoy_D01

Well that's what this thread is all about. Exchanging knowledge to help each other out and bring new ideas whenever possible.

Thank you for stopping in and look forward to hearing news from you in the future.

Thank you again,
Mark

Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by Mark-Warlock.
14 years 6 months ago #6888

Time to create page: 0.590 seconds