RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN was created by MEMO1DOMINION

THE FLASH loses a director. Will more filmmakers leave?
By Devin Faraci •Apr. 29, 2016
birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/29/crisis-on-finite-dc-movieverses

Aquaman Rumor: James Wan May Be Next DC Director to Exit
Aquaman / 29 Apr 2016
www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/29/aquaman-...-dc-director-to-exit

James Wan May Leave Aquaman
Matthew Mueller
- 04/30/2016
comicbook.com/dc/2016/04/30/rumor-james-...aman/#Comments141807

IF TRUE, EXPECT HIM TO START ON ROBOTECH.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
7 years 10 months ago #22115

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

Sad fact of the matter is that DC superheros are dull and boring and unrelatable. There's a reason Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are considered the "Holy Trinity" of DC, it's because they are the only remotely interesting ones. Marvel superheros, for example, are ordinary humans who do extraordinary things. Thor is an exception to this, but he is humanized, as are all of them, by flaws, shortcomings, weaknesses, none of them are perfect. It is this imperfection that makes them relatable, and makes the teamwork between them all the more satisfying.

DC superheros, on the other hand, are mostly gods and aliens pretending to be humans. Batman is an exception to this, but DC has stated "Bruce Wayne is the mask", as in even Batman is a foreign entity pretending to be normal. None of them are relatable. Aquaman is the King of Atlantas. Anyone here got anything in common with him? No? Anyone care? No? Green Lantern is some sort of Alien Justice League. Anyone here got anything in common with him? No? Anyone care? No?

The massively mixed reactions to BvS: Dawn of Justice are probably setting off alarms for a lot of people. If a movie featuring the Holy Trinity can elicit such a mixed reaction, what hope do individual movies starring the less popular characters have of being even remotely successful? Marvel superheros have personality; DC superheros are all like "I'M BATMAAAAAAANNN!" or "I'M SUPERMAAAAAAANNN!" or "I'M WONDER WOMAAAAAAAANNN!". It's dull and boring and not much fun. People go to superhero movies to be entertained, and to feel good when they come out. When every major character is a depressing emo nervous wreck, no one is coming out of that movie feeling happy.

I honestly think Suicide Squad is the best bet for the DC Cinematic Universe, because it is something DIFFERENT. The cast is an assortment of antiheros. The entire perspectives, motivations, methods, and goals of the characters are not those of the typical superheros. And the opportunity for comic relief is abundant. DC should just scrap all the planned upcoming Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Cyborg, and whatever other movies, and focus on a Suicide Squad series. This would provide a fitting contrast to Marvel, and differentiate themselves enough while providing a unique experience that people would pay to see.

If DC wants to take a darker path, following the heros is not the way to go. Follow the villains. The answer is literally right there in front of them.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 10 months ago #22118

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

The Monday before the Thursday 'Batman vs. Superman' was released, the 2013 Superman movie was shown on tv. Untill then, I did not even know there had been a Superman movie three years ago. Apparently there had also been a Fantastic Four movie in 2015. Obviously these two movies did not even reach cinemas in my country.

Marvel's main trademark had always been the humanity of its heroes. Superpowers were fictional, but their emotions and everyday lives were as realistic as possible. However, after the 'One More Day'-storyline in Spider-man, 'Avengers: Dissassembled' and the very peculiar decision to concentrate all X-characters into one big herd - all these decisons were made in the 00's - I lost my ability to relate to them.

Especially the reasoning behind the decision to split up Peter and Mary Jane Parker drove me away: "Kids can't relate to a married couple".

Then again, children and teenagers always had way more in common with thirty year old billionaires or scientists who dressed themselves up as heroes after a long day of more than average responsible and hard work....

Dark stories were interesting occasionally, especially within a longer running series. But since the nineties, all X-villains have been mutants wanting to kill all humans or humans wanting to kill al mutants. At some point, it becomes implausible. And Brian Michael Bendis seems only capable of ever repeating the same story over and over again: 'secret services gone rogue - we can't trust anyone anymore'.

I like Marvel better than DC, but Marvel lost its touch after the turn of the century.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 10 months ago #22139

• Thank you received: 554

Replied by ds55 on topic RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

Oh well :silly:
Macross forever :D

#Biden not my President!
7 years 10 months ago #22143

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

NGL I could care less about an Aquaman movie.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
7 years 10 months ago #22181

really its not life or death, and life will go on.
they'll find another director. :side:

#Biden not my President!
7 years 10 months ago #22182

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

Peter Young wrote: Especially the reasoning behind the decision to split up Peter and Mary Jane Parker drove me away: "Kids can't relate to a married couple".

DID YOU KNOW Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy broke up?! He's got some new Asian pig girlfriend:

Also: The times sure have changed. Here's an Honest Trailers review of a 90's era Captain America, and oh man, this is some bad stuff:

"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 10 months ago #22191

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

Speaking of Captain America anyone super hyped for Civil War? Gonna try and see it over the weekend.(sick atm)

Also there's a lot of things kids can't relate to but that doesn't stop them from enjoying whatever it is. And I'd like to think to some degree kids understand the marriage between a couple onscreen, so those are just piss poor excuses.

Now to get back on topic, Aquaman isn't that interesting of a character. Oh wow so he can talk to fish and sharks? Big whoop. Though I appreciate their effort to make him look less of a lamer, however still zero interest. But what I will say is I wish it was Marvel taking the helms of Robotech cause I do believe they could do it right.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
7 years 10 months ago #22194

yep B)

#Biden not my President!
7 years 10 months ago #22195

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic RUMOR: DIRECTOR JAMES WAN MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN

LadyGrimes wrote: Speaking of Captain America anyone super hyped for Civil War? Gonna try and see it over the weekend.(sick atm)

Civil War was the last Marvel Story I read. Its synopsis seemed promising. I had mixed feeling about the story. Ever since Chris Claremont and John Byrne made 'Days of future past', the X-men have been dreading a future where the Sentinels would wipe out human kind.

Step 1: superhumans have to registrate.
Step 2: legit heroes are ordered to arrest the illegal heroes
Step 3: Sentinels are activated to assist the legit heroes
Step 4: when all the other superhumans are killed or in camps, the Sentinels go after the legit heroes as well.

Civil War could have been Step 1 - and the X-men decided to stay neutral????

Marvel also overlooked that such a plot would be more interesting if all American superheroes would be involved. But in the previous years Marvel had decided to:

- kill of Thor (Ragnarok)

- send long-serving Avengers like Hawkeye, Quicksilver, the Scarlet Witch and Vision into Marvel Limbo

- banish the Hulk - the mos important argument in favour of regulating superhumans - into space

- let the real Daredevil, Matt Murdoch, go into hiding. A basically forgotten character, Iron Fist, temporarily took over the suit and the alias

- depower the majority of mutants - which the X-men used as an excuse to stay on the fence.

The original plot ended with Cap and Iron Man making a compromise: Cap would surrender if Tony Stark became head of S.H.I.E.L.D. to personally guarantee the heroes'identities would be kept save. This would have been a good ending: you cannot use violence to repeal laws, but Cap's arguments would have been taken into account. Instead they turned Cap into a cry baby, basically saying that his side of the war had been wrong all the time. So much for anti-climax.

Brian Michael Bendis - who had scripted some of the above mentioned plots as well - has a habbit of writing bad ends to what could have been interesting stories. Any one noticed that it has been his stories that were used for the movie adaptions? Big surprise: he was part of the Marvel 'movie team' as well.

What did Montesquieu write about seperation of powers?
That should apply to fiction as well: don't let a writer adapt his own stories into a movie.

I like Cap, but I won't watch the movie. Perhaps later on tv, but I won't spend money on it.

LadyGrimes wrote: But what I will say is I wish it was Marvel taking the helms of Robotech cause I do believe they could do it right.

X-men, Avengers and Spider-Man did well, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and the Hulk did not.
Are the latter characters less popular?
The Wolverine solo movie was less succesfull as well.

The early 2000' trilogies of Spider-Man and X-men had great first and second parts, but the final movies were disappointing.

Conclusion: even if Marvel were to turn Robotech into a movie, succes would not be guranteed.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 10 months ago #22196

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds