The Official "Work Sucks" Thread

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

The Official "Work Sucks" Thread was created by LadyGrimes

We all have horror stories, and co-workers or customers who get on our nerves so, let's all share the pain and let off some steam :P

and whoo hoo I get to the be the first one!
Anyways I work at Kroger as a cashier and yes its a crappy job but the money is good and I need it, but anyways we allow people to bring reusable bags and they get fifteen cents off their order for each one. Well this one lady brought in a wad of plastic bags and when I asked her how many there were, she just says "I don't know, you count them" First off I was thinking to myself "what a bitch", second I notice she is grabbing a bunch of new bags and that's when I got after her and said "Uh M'am, those don't count as reusable bags, I'm sorry, but you can only use the ones you brought in" Of course she got pissed off and storms off to Guest Services to complain about me for not counting the new bags she used *facepalm* Geeze some people are just.....*eye twitch*
funny thing is up there they told her the same thing and she just finished paying for her groceries then leaves.

There's also been a few times where some lady will bring me a butt load of coupons and half the items she buys aren't the same as the ones listed on the coupon so I'm standing there trying to explain she got the wrong item while shes getting mad and having me void everything off. It's like damn, pay better attention next time.

But I think the thing that irks me the most is the people who will knock shit over and then walk away without telling anyone. I also get annoyed when people will decide they don't want something and then put it in a place it doesn't belong, for example, I found a carton of ice cream on top of the oranges one night. Ice cream belongs in a freezer dammit lol, not on top of the oranges! :angry:

working in retail sucks... but its just a temp job till I save up and get the hell out of my crappy apartment lol
anyways I created this thread so all of us could complain about work and share our horror stories.
I've got some pretty nasty ones, but I'll tell those later on.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 11 months ago #11344

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: The Official "Work Sucks" Thread

Oh I could tell you dozens of stories. Its not that work sucks, people are just idiots. And you are right in the line of fire, sorry! That's why I never ever went for cashier. Even if it pays more than other positions, they should because you deal with so many assholes.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 11 months ago #11354

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: The Official

SIGHUP wrote:

Oh I could tell you dozens of stories. Its not that work sucks, people are just idiots. And you are right in the line of fire, sorry! That's why I never ever went for cashier. Even if it pays more than other positions, they should because you deal with so many assholes.

oh yeah people are stupid, and you can talk about those stories too I dont mind :D
and I actually had to work as a bagger for a short time before becoming a cashier, and I don't intend to stay there, I plan on moving up to another department, most likely nonfoods
and I do want to learn how to run u-scan
and if you don't know what that is its pretty much a self checkout lane. =P

but yeah by all means, share your stories

*edit* something funny happened one night when justin was working. Some black man came up to him and asked "where da crackas at?" Justin started laughing and the guy was like huh and then he thought about it for a moment and was oooh I get it now XD

Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by LadyGrimes. Reason: wanted to add something
13 years 11 months ago #11357

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: The Official

Yeah we have U-SCANs here as well. Actually those are bad for cashiers since they are intended to replace them, but what are ya gonna do. You think people are annoying on the regular checkstand. Wait till you get them @ the U-SCAN, even worse.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
13 years 11 months ago #11358

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

SIGHUP wrote:

Yeah we have U-SCANs here as well. Actually those are bad for cashiers since they are intended to replace them, but what are ya gonna do. You think people are annoying on the regular checkstand. Wait till you get them @ the U-SCAN, even worse.

oh I know people at the U-SCAN are worse because a few friends of mine work there during the day and at night and tell me all sorts of stories.

Usually the people with small orders or those who don't want anyone touching their stuff go to U-SCAN.
but I think the worst place to work is Guest Services, because thats where all the customers go to bitch =P

13 years 11 months ago #11359

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re: The Official

I used to work at Walgreens and we would have the people who relied on coupons. Whenever they picked out the wrong item they would complain. You just want to tell them that if they read the damn coupon they would know what to get.

I also used to work for a game store. One of the times I was working this one guy thought I didn't know what I was talking about and was trying to give me a hard time. We were arguing over whether a particular game was good or not. He thought I was making it up or something. He told me that I didn't know what I was talking about it. Then after a while he realizes I do know what I'm talking. We get into talking about other games and he sees I do actually play games. Then he asks me for my phone number. I tell him no. Then he pulls the race card. I wanted to just tell him "No, it's not because of your race it's because you're f****** d***!"

((Since most of you don't know me that well, I don't discriminate against race. I'm very offended when someone tries to suggest that I do.))

We would have Hispanic families come into the store and the kids would give the parents GTA 3 or Vice City to buy for them. Whenever a kid wants any M rated game we would inform the parent that it's not suitable for children. Most of the time the parents don't realize what the game is about and when they do, they don't want to buy the game for the kid. With the Hispanic families sometimes the parents don't speak English and unfortunately I know little to no Spanish. Even if I did I wouldn't be able to explain to them why GTA may not be suitable for their kids. In these cases the kids translate to the parents what we are saying. When this happens you just want to be like "forget it". You watch as the kid 'translates' it to the parents..which probably turns into more of "Oh she's saying this is a great game!" and the parents always buy it anyways.

In one of the stores I worked with this one girl during the holidays. She was a really nice girl, but unfortunately not that smart. We were fairly busy on this day. By the end of the day she tells me she needs 4 transactions voided. Voiding transactions is not a good thing. It really isn't often that one needs transactions to be voided. You should avoid having to do them at all costs. When I ask her why she needs 4 of them voided she gives me this long explanation. When you ring someone up and they are ready to pay you either have the option to complete it, if the person gives you the exact amount, or you can enter an amount for the amount of money they give you and it will tell you the change. For example, If the total is $16.23 and the customer gives you a $20 you enter $20 and it will tell you how much change you need to give the person. Apparently the girl 'accidentally' pressed the button that completed the transaction when the customer gave her a larger amount and needed change. Instead of doing the math to find out what the change was, either in her head on paper or ON THE CALCULATOR THAT WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE REGISTER, she rang the item(s) up again and re-did the transactions. -_-;

I had this one male co-worker who was girl crazy. He was a nice guy, but had a one track mind when he saw a girl he thought was hot. A few times we would be busy. We would have a line of people and after he'd finish a transaction and I would be ringing someone else up he would be like, "I'm taking my 10 minute break now" and then would walk out the door. I would be left with a line of people. When he would return he would say, "I saw some hot chick walk by and wanted to get her number." He would do it when we weren't busy too, but it always killed me when we had a line of people.

Everything wasn't always bad though. I had some good moments too.

One time I saw this short, fat white dude wearing a Harlem Globetrotters jersey. The jersey was well made and looked good, but I knew that some short, fat white guy wasn't on the Harlem Globetrotters. I was admiring it and almost went up to the guy to tell him that it was awesome jersey, but ended up organizing some games instead. After the guy leaves my co-worker comes over to me all freaked out. He's like "Did you just see who that was?" I was like, "The guy with the Harlem Globetrotters jersey? No, but he had a really nice jersey on." My co-worker says "It was Kevin Smith! I was trying not to freak when I was ringing him up and asked him for ID when he used a credit card." lol, I didn't realize who it was because he was shorter than I expected him to be.

Another time I was having a bad day at work. One of the customers notice that I was having a rough time. He offered to buy me ice cream to cheer me up. I said sure, thinking he wouldn't do it. Just in case he did I waited to take my lunch break. It was about 2 hours later and he didn't return, so I went to lunch. When I came back my boss gives me bubbles that were in an ice cream shaped bottle and tells me someone came in to give it to me. I was very impressed by it. Unfortunately the guy didn't leave any contact information, nor did he ever come back into the store.

I've told enough long stories -_-; I probably have a ton more.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
13 years 11 months ago #11403

Replied by SteelMax on topic Re: The Official

My worst day at work...
I'm working at a military hospital, I had a 20 hour day the previous day and I'm 4 or 5 hours into my current day which will also become a 20 hour day. I respond to an emergency where a guy was stabbed in the ribs by his wife. They were arguing. I assist a PA in placement of the chest tube, managing his airway, and he gets stabilized. Once he gets admitted to the ward, I do his post admission respiratory assessment, and then I go back outside for more unpaid overtime work. No sooner do I get outside when another emergency rolls in. A 1 & 1/2 year old toddler was unattended in the bath, and drowned. He was coded for about 45 minutes, I suctioned a ton of water from his lungs. Couldn't get heart rhythm going despite every drug administered and multiple defibrillation attempts. So, the doc calls the code. I decided to pour a shot after work. I get home, and my window is smashed out, and the whiskey I was gonna have a shot of is one of the things gone....
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by SteelMax. Reason: Security
13 years 11 months ago #11479

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

SteelMax wrote:

My worst day at work...
I'm working at a military hospital, I had a 20 hour day the previous day and I'm 4 or 5 hours into my current day which will also become a 20 hour day. I respond to an emergency where a guy was stabbed in the ribs by his wife. They were arguing. I assist a PA in placement of the chest tube, managing his airway, and he gets stabilized. Once he gets admitted to the ward, I do his post admission respiratory assessment, and then I go back outside for more unpaid overtime work. No sooner do I get outside when another emergency rolls in. A 1 & 1/2 year old toddler was unattended in the bath, and drowned. He was coded for about 45 minutes, I suctioned a ton of water from his lungs. Couldn't get heart rhythm going despite every drug administered and multiple defibrillation attempts. So, the doc calls the code. I decided to pour a shot after work. I get home, and my window is smashed out, and the whiskey I was gonna have a shot of is one of the things gone....

Oh man that sounds like some first day of work...
damn that must have really sucked
my first day was interesting too, since I'm prone to looking neutral all the time everyone was bitching at me to smile more and some of the old men gave me tips when the managers weren't watching lol. Tips? I was just bagging your groceries not dancing around a pole....

13 years 11 months ago #11489

Replied by SteelMax on topic ...I should elaborate....

...the worst day as an Army Respiratory Therapist was the one I mentioned. When I was Infantry, my worst day was Jan 27th, 2004 near Iskandariyah, Iraq. 3 from my platoon got killed, and another three wounded. THAT was my worst day at ANY job...
13 years 11 months ago #11491

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:...I should elaborate....

SteelMax wrote:

...the worst day as an Army Respiratory Therapist was the one I mentioned. When I was Infantry, my worst day was Jan 27th, 2004 near Iskandariyah, Iraq. 3 from my platoon got killed, and another three wounded. THAT was my worst day at ANY job...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of us can't top that. No matter how bad our days have gone.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
13 years 11 months ago #11492

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds