Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by sanman on topic Re:Ironic but still epic

Viper wrote:

Basically, it seems that you want music that's appropriate to the film. A VERY vlaid concern, and one that I share.

If the RT LAM were to get somoene like Hans Zimmer (A coup, to be sure), you can be assured that the score would be nothing short of spectacular.

However, if you get some no-namer to compose the score, you're looking at a hit-or-miss scenario, with the possibility of a pop-music copout, and something that's mediocre at best.

It would be amazing if they could get Hans Zimmer on it. However, I don't know if that would happen. With his recent success with the OSTs for the two Batman films, plus his notoriety for such lovely gems like 'Gladiator', 'Mission Impossible 2', and others, it's not too likely. Then again, composers aren't like movie stars. In this purly hypothetical situation, he might do it.

I think Hans Zimmer is great, but I strongly feel that the original Robotech theme score is the most awesome choice possible. That doesn't mean there can't be other supporting classical scores in the movie - but the main theme score should be the original, which simply can't be beat. Maybe Hans could make a new interpretation of the original theme as a tribute, adding in some of his own style.
14 years 8 months ago #4977

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by sanman on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

Hans' style is very diverse, btw. Check out his theme for Broken Arrow:

Favorite line from that movie - "Would you mind not shooting at the nuclear weapons?"
14 years 8 months ago #4978

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

I am well aware of Hanz Zimmer's versatility. Mission: Impossible 2 is plenty enough proof, coming so soon after Gladiator.

As for the RT theme, it's good enough, but please, just use the main theme. The rest of the original soundtrack should be left alone, and not used.

I really can't see any reason for canned, recycled music to be used, simply for nostalgic reasons. For that matter, nostagia seems to be the order of the day with most discussions of the RT LAM, and if the thing is supposed to be a 'retelling' of events, then there should be a new theme.

But, this is still a moot point. We have yet to see any tangible evidence that there's any kind of pre-production work, and until we do see it, I shall remain extremely skeptical.
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 8 months ago #4979

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

I have to say I agree.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
14 years 8 months ago #4980

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

I don't see why little bits of the other background music can't be inserted here and there, creatively. It's not like they'd have to predominate - they could appear briefly interspersed between the new compositions. There could be little hints of the stuff, and there's plenty of room for that. I'm hoping for a minimum movie length of 2.5 hrs.
14 years 8 months ago #4981

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

Well, primarily because they're not that good...?

Seriously, the secondary themes in the RT soundtrack were not well done, and par for the course for a week-end cartoon. If you're going to make a serious attempt at a LAM, then there has to be some serious thought into new creativity.

Nostalgia can only go so far. If the LAM goes into full-blown 'recreation' mode', then the idea of bogging it down in nostalgic recall for the sake of the 'old school' fans will destroy it. Quite simply put, you can't have it both ways.

If the rumormill surrounding the idea of an LAM is to be believed, then WB plans to do all three sagas. Also, since there's a severe restriction on Macross Saga content, WB will have to get really busy formulating a new idea around Robotech. Simply doing current-gen fighters that transform will be seen as just cheap-shotting 'Transformers', because of the StarScream character.

Following that point, the musical scoring will have to be equally re-thought. I agree that the 'Epic Feel' should be there, as the RT LAM has enormous potential, but they must be VERY careful. There are so many factions of fandom out there that the LAM is sure to piss someone off.

Ultimately, Hans Zimmer might have the best chops for the job, but there are others out there. Personally, John Williams would be an excellent coice, as well. James Horner, too.

14 years 8 months ago #4982

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

I'm not saying that the rest of the original background music would have to predominate. Little bits of it could simply show up here and there, perhaps in reinterpreted form, interspersed amongst the new background music.

There is nothing about the original Robotech music that conflicts with the copyrighted Macross material.

But I agree, there should definitely be plenty of completely new background music in the RLAM.
14 years 8 months ago #4988

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

There is nothing about the original Robotech music that conflicts with the copyrighted Macross material.

I'm not saying there is a conflict, but there should be a corresponding effort to score the film in the same way that the Re-immagining is being done.

Another thing, I sincerely hope they play down the Minmei connection. One thing that would deffinately be catastrophic would be to have the whole thing dominated by her. There were so many other aspects of the show.

14 years 8 months ago #4990

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

Viper wrote:

I'm not saying there is a conflict, but there should be a corresponding effort to score the film in the same way that the Re-immagining is being done.

Another thing, I sincerely hope they play down the Minmei connection. One thing that would deffinately be catastrophic would be to have the whole thing dominated by her. There were so many other aspects of the show.

yeah I agree, minmei was just plain annoying. When my boyfriend was watching the macross saga with me he had me mute the tv whenever she was singing, and he kept asking me when she was going to die. :S
I had to lie and say yes so he'd finish watching the whole series... after that he wanted to kill me XD

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 8 months ago #4992

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

I'm sure that Minmei's role would be suitably downgraded to the tastes of international audiences, which are somewhat different than Lolita-obsessed Japan. (Have you ever seen Saishu Heiki Kanojo?) What makes me throw up is when the Macross purists insist that Robotech's Minmei is awful, but then turn around and gush over Macross Minmay. WTF?

The RLAM is somehow going to have to capture the essense of the original Robotech, and if they're going the Harry Potter route, then being faithful in most ways can be a good thing. I'm sure things will get omitted, not making it past the cutting room floor.
14 years 8 months ago #5060

Time to create page: 0.390 seconds