Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 0

Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music was created by sanman

Here's something I came across on Youtube.

I remember watching this with my dad when I was a kid. I remember how cool the military theme was, along with the all-star cast.

Again, that's why I love the Robotech theme so much, because it really gives off that same vibe.

Does anyone else have any favorite examples of great classical military musical themes they'd like to share?
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by sanman.
14 years 8 months ago #4895

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by sanman on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

That movie "A Bridge Too Far" has the kind of military epic style that I'd like to see for the Robotech Live-Action Movie.

I don't want to see another Transformers movie with jive-talking robots. I want to see a military epic set in space. That, to me, would be an ideal way to present the epic spectacle of Robotech.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/usercomments

Remember how not everything went right in Robotech.
The SDF-1 tried to lift off, and the anti-gravs ripped out of their mounts. They tried to spacefold, and they misfolded over to Pluto. Etc, etc. In a way, you could say there were aspects of Operation Market Garden happening in there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bridge_Too_Far_%28film%29
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by sanman.
14 years 8 months ago #4914

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

Whoa!!! Somoene who knows 'A Birdge Too Far'? I'm impressed! Not many people know that movie.

As far as a military-theme, I'd have to go with 'Patton'. Jerry Goldsmith did an excellent theme for that one.

I have to say, I agree with you, Sanman. one thing I really don't care for in most movies these days is the increasing reliance on rock/rap themes. While it has it's place in SOME flicks, others would've done so much better without it.

Movie themes are supposed to add to the emotional impact of the film, not pander to popular trends. I highly doubt any of the 'Star Wars' films would've done as well if there'd been a sloppy,ham-handed application of Linkin Park.
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 8 months ago #4915

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

hmm i have both A Bridge Too Far AND Battle of Britian, While i respect the film for what it was and it's fantastic cast and also agree with the fact that the use of non-popculure music to score the film was the best out of all movies of the genre.

(i do see some classic hollywood 'liberties' taken with the film so it doesn't reach 5 star for me)

I have said this on RT.com and i'm glad others feel the same way. The Lam needs an epic feel of a large world that includes more then what the main characters are. I also fully support the idea of NOT having a score that is pop culture inspired. A classically scored film (say in the vain of John Williams or his type) to do most of the score. We know there will be some pop in there thanks to ms minmei.

If they go Rock and Roll or Techno or some spastic futuristic smut they will basically kill the fact that it's supposed to be a serious story.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
14 years 8 months ago #4922

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

Don't forget some Black Hawk Down

and don't forget "Thin Red Line", people seem to forget about this due to Saving Private Ryan, but this movie is epic.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
14 years 8 months ago #4924

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

AWW MAN! i forgot about Hans Zimmer! i knew there was one more! Nice catch :D that was a good track for that film
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
14 years 8 months ago #4925

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

Hell yeah, I loved Black Hawk Down. The way Gordon and Cheggard kept it going to the end to save the pilot. Makes me sad I couldn't serve as a pilot due to vision. Lathough i have considered the Army lately, I'm still only 24 but I don't know I guess it's because I always wanted to be a pilot as a kid.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
14 years 8 months ago #4926

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by sanman on topic Ironic but still epic

Last_Valk_Standing wrote:

hmm i have both A Bridge Too Far AND Battle of Britian, While i respect the film for what it was and it's fantastic cast and also agree with the fact that the use of non-popculure music to score the film was the best out of all movies of the genre.

(i do see some classic hollywood 'liberties' taken with the film so it doesn't reach 5 star for me)

I have said this on RT.com and i'm glad others feel the same way. The Lam needs an epic feel of a large world that includes more then what the main characters are. I also fully support the idea of NOT having a score that is pop culture inspired. A classically scored film (say in the vain of John Williams or his type) to do most of the score. We know there will be some pop in there thanks to ms minmei.

If they go Rock and Roll or Techno or some spastic futuristic smut they will basically kill the fact that it's supposed to be a serious story.

Well, it's supposed to be an epic story. Therefore the music has to be epic -- and it already is, so hopefully the original theme score won't be discarded, but kept for the movie.

I was recalling all the unfortunate happenings in Robotech that caused adversity which the characters had to overcome.

SDF-1 fires its cannons right away, giving away its position.
ARMD space cruisers are blasted.
SDF-1 tries to lift off, and the anti-gravs rip out.
SDF-1 tries to spacefold, and misfolds to Pluto, taking part of the island's population with it.
SDF-1 attacked near Toronto, so that its barrier overloads, and Toronto is vaporized.
Most of the Earth's inhabitants are killed by Zentraedi bombardment.

And that's just the Macross saga. There's a whole lot more that goes wrong in the other 2 sagas. Yet everyone still hangs on and continues courageously throughout.

So I was thinking that the "Bridge Too Far" style of military epic would be a good way to go. This might be the kind of spin that could distinguish Robotech from being "yet another aliens-vs-earthlings movie"
Obviously, that kind of spectacle can now be done much more cheaply with CG, as opposed to what they had to spend on that 1977 movie.

I'm not saying that I want it done like Mars Attacks, I'm just saying that you can show some of the ridiculous ironic twists of fate in war, and still be epic.

What say you all?
14 years 8 months ago #4945

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Ironic but still epic

Basically, it seems that you want music that's appropriate to the film. A VERY vlaid concern, and one that I share.

If the RT LAM were to get somoene like Hans Zimmer (A coup, to be sure), you can be assured that the score would be nothing short of spectacular.

However, if you get some no-namer to compose the score, you're looking at a hit-or-miss scenario, with the possibility of a pop-music copout, and something that's mediocre at best.

It would be amazing if they could get Hans Zimmer on it. However, I don't know if that would happen. With his recent success with the OSTs for the two Batman films, plus his notoriety for such lovely gems like 'Gladiator', 'Mission Impossible 2', and others, it's not too likely. Then again, composers aren't like movie stars. In this purly hypothetical situation, he might do it.
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 8 months ago #4958

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re:Most Epic Classical Military Theme Music

I think this is an epic and iconic song, geared to the author...

14 years 8 months ago #4962

Time to create page: 0.366 seconds