Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

Fixed

I held my beliefs about Leonard before I joined Robotech.com back in '01. I didn't join the DOL, I didn't form the DOL and I don't need them to back me up in an argument. A number of them used to be 'on the other side' so to speak until I rationally explained the situation to them vis-a-vis the novelization version of Leonard and the on-screen version.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Brooklyn-Red-Leg.
14 years 2 months ago #9459

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

Brooklyn Red leg

Because its Steve & Tommy Yune,unfair moderators and groups like d.O.l. we're talking about. Robotech.com is just a mediocre site that does a few things: sell Toynami merchandise,make false promises of more Robotech and make unfair judgements on banning people like Waters7,Sorral and me and others too. Thats basically the long and the short of it.

Fixed :)

"Unfair moderators" and "groups like the D.O.L" have what to do with the layout of the site again...? BRL and I aren't talking about the forums, we're talking about the rest of site.

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

Gubaba
I guess I was a bit off on the notion of why Yamato was used for the Argo.And if you are on the fence about the dvds I like the quality in the ones I recently got and it sounds good on my 5.1 surround but it isnt widescreen so I need to "zoom" my hd to "full" screen.At $40 for 2 dvds it better be good quality.And I seen japanese Yamato without subs on Ebay region 2 but it was used for $300 complete with a model Yamato.But if you got an easy $20+ to spend and find a dvd at a electronics store then maybe you can see if you like the quality.

Laters
Pete

I probably won't buy the TV series DVDs unless they come out with subbed versions (ain't gonna happen) and I won't buy the movie DVDs until they remaster them (again, ain't gonna happen).

Otherwise, I'll just wait until I go back to Tokyo and scour Nakano Broadway and the Akihabara Liberty shops for used sets.

By the way, Pizza, looking through the Star Blazers site, I found this article by Noburo Ishiguro:
www.starblazers.com/html.php?page_id=367

Two years after he wrote this, he'd go on to become the chief director for Macross, so if you still want to insist that Macross is a rip-off, at least they got the right guy to do it. :P
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Gubaba.
14 years 2 months ago #9461

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Gubaba wrote:

Two years after he wrote this, he'd go on to become the chief director for Macross, so if you still want to insist that Macross is a rip-off, at least they got the right guy to do it. :P

I think too many fans use the word 'rip-off' way too often. To say that Macross was not influenced by Star Trek (Wagon Train to the Stars ring a bell?), Yamato or Battlestar Galactica is to be ignorant. But rip-off? Sorry, I don't see it. Just as I didn't see all the haranguing and screaming and hair-pulling of some Macross fans years ago about the From the Stars comic (claiming it was a ripoff of Macross Zero, even though it was basically retelling the stories laid out by Jack McKinney of Roy Fokker and TR Edwards to flesh out the material from SDF Macross).

To me, the word rip-off means you didn't acquired the rights to something and/or you gave no credit whatsoever to the original creators. Despite claims to the contrary, the SDF Macross staff was given oodles of credit in Robotech Art 1 (I can sort of understand why they weren't in the Tv series because of the time limit on credits). However, unless I'm mistaken, none of the Genesis Climber Mospeada nor Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross staff was given credit in ANY form until very recently.
14 years 2 months ago #9462

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

I think too many fans use the word 'rip-off' way too often. To say that Macross was not influenced by Star Trek (Wagon Train to the Stars ring a bell?), Yamato or Battlestar Galactica is to be ignorant. But rip-off? Sorry, I don't see it. Just as I didn't see all the haranguing and screaming and hair-pulling of some Macross fans years ago about the From the Stars comic (claiming it was a ripoff of Macross Zero, even though it was basically retelling the stories laid out by Jack McKinney of Roy Fokker and TR Edwards to flesh out the material from SDF Macross).

To me, the word rip-off means you didn't acquired the rights to something and/or you gave no credit whatsoever to the original creators. Despite claims to the contrary, the SDF Macross staff was given oodles of credit in Robotech Art 1 (I can sort of understand why they weren't in the Tv series because of the time limit on credits). However, unless I'm mistaken, none of the Genesis Climber Mospeada nor Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross staff was given credit in ANY form until very recently.

Well, to be fair, Pizza never said "rip-off." That was me putting words in his mouth. Here's what he said (and some of his examples seem to me to be stretching things):

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

What is sad is

is macross purists cry about how Robotech does nothing original.

How can someone cry about originality when the cartoon they worship was not big west's original idea?

Space Battleship Yamato and Super demensional Macross

Same prestory of a planet global war suddenly make peace on a pending threat of alien invasion!

Same story of how they built a super battleship out of a pile of rubbish!

Aliens bomb the Earth to near unlivable conditions!

Same "My brother died" story line,when Wildstar lost his brother!\

Both ships have a very powerful big gun that can destroy big things with little effort!

Captain Avatar and macross captains have same outfits!

Both ships can warp or "fold" a very long distance

Desslok and Khyron is the same!

I say if it was not for the transforming Veritechs and giants and bland singing I would swear macross is a continuation of Space Battleship Yamato!

But yeah, I agree with you, BRL, about the word "rip-off" getting tossed around way too much. Astro Plan is a rip-off. Space Gundam V is a rip-off. Space Mutiny is a rip-off. Turkish Star Wars is a rip-off. Macross isn't. Robotech isn't.

Other examples that people often throw out remind me of Homer Simpson's line, "And the Blue Man Group? They're just a rip-off of the Smurfs!"
14 years 2 months ago #9463

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Neat,
That vid you posted on Yamato was nice.But the end said "12.12" and was thinking that maybe they were re-doing the Yamato in that style.I never knew the U.S. version used the same music score for the beginning theme.

As for the japanese version,I heard it was weird like IQ-9 was a pervert always rubbing on Nova and that doctor was always drunk.

If it wasn't for my insane house payments I would have bought the complete edition when I discovered Star Blazers web site.

And Gubaba,I agree with you again on showing how much nicer the Star Blazers web site is compared to rt.com and it would have been nice to con-join both realms to pay respectful "homages" to eachother but somehow anyone who logs in from Japan gets automatically banned.

Maybe the webmasters can learn a thing or 2 from Star Blazers/Yamato fans!
14 years 2 months ago #9479

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Maybe the webmasters can learn a thing or 2 from Star Blazers/Yamato fans!

You're making a mistake, I'm affraid.

You're speaking as if HG wanted to do something right... So far, we have seen no evidence of this.

:laugh:
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 2 months ago #9487

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

Neat,
That vid you posted on Yamato was nice.But the end said "12.12" and was thinking that maybe they were re-doing the Yamato in that style.I never knew the U.S. version used the same music score for the beginning theme.

It's not a remake, it's a sequel. And yeah, it came out last December.

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

As for the japanese version,I heard it was weird like IQ-9 was a pervert always rubbing on Nova and that doctor was always drunk.

Didn't you ever wonder why the Dr. Sado's nose was so red? A long time ago, I read an interview with (I believe) Leiji Matsumoto where he said that the Doctor was based on the local doctor in his hometown, who was a real lush, so he was rather upset that it was changed to "spring water" for the US version. And the bottle he's carrying says "Sake" on it, plain as day.

And Analyzer (IQ-9) does have a certain fascination with Yuki (Nova). I don't remember him rubbing up against her (it's been a while since I watched it, though), but he does flip her skirt up once or twice.

But why is that so weird? You've never met anybody who drinks heavily, or who has a crush on a girl?
14 years 2 months ago #9494

Replied by Tim-Eldred on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Hey all- just registered here, totally new to the site and the chat group.

I'm the guy who researches and writes (and draws) everything at starblazers.com, so I'm very grateful to read your kind words about my work. Thanks!!

I can answer most if not all of your questions about the show or the Voyager DVDs, so fire away!
14 years 2 months ago #9688

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Tim Eldred

I'm the guy who researches and writes (and draws) everything at starblazers.com, so I'm very grateful to read your kind words about my work. Thanks!!

I can answer most if not all of your questions about the show or the Voyager DVDs, so fire away!

NO KIDDING...
WOW, WELCOME TO THESE PART OF THE NECK OF THE WOODS. GOOGLE BROUGHT YOU OVER?

WELL, ME, BEEN A FAN OF THE SHOW SINCE THE 70'S WHEN I FIRST SAW IT IN MEXICO IN SPANISH. TOOK A LONG TIME TO RAISE MONEY TO BUY MY FIRST TOY AS WELL. WAS THINKING AS SOON AS I CAN I WILL JUMP RIGHT BACK ONTO THE SERIES AND COLLECTION. I GOT TO MUCH ROBOTECH GOING ON RIGHT NOW AND ANOTHER FEW THINGS NON ROBOTECH RELATED THAT GOT ME BUSY.

JUST FINISHED A FULL RUN ON FULL METAL PANIC AND WAITING ON THE NEW SERIES.

SO MIGHT TAKE UP YAMATO NOW.

AND YAMATO TOOK ME STRAIGHT TO ROBOTECH AFTER FOLLOWING FEW SCIFI SHOWS LIKE GALACTICA AND BUCK ROGERS AND WHAT NOT.

SAW YOUR PAGE AND MIGHT VISIT IT MORE OFTEN. NEED TO LOOK UP SOME REASERCH.

AND WELCOME ABOARD.

HEHEHE
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 2 months ago #9689

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Tim Eldred wrote:

Ooh! Ooh! I've got a big one!

When I was a kid, and the show was first airing (in Los Angeles, on Channel 13 KCOP...or was it Channel 11 KTTV?), at the end of the first series, they showed two movies over two consecutive nights. They were shown under the titles "Derek Wildstar and the Gamilons" and "Derek Wildstar and the Comet Empire."

Now, my parents wouldn't let me stay up to watch them (yes, I cried), so I can only assume they were the first two Yamato movies, but I've never come across mention of either of them under those titles. Did they exist, or is my memory playing tricks on me?
14 years 2 months ago #9690

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds