Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tim-Eldred on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Yeah, those are intriguing, aren't they? They're extremely rare. In the four years I've known about them, I've only come across three sets online and I bought one.

But I'll let you in on a little secret: if all goes well, someday I'm going to translate them chapter by chapter and turn them into another webcomic. I have to finish the current one first, though.
14 years 2 months ago #10054

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Tim Eldred wrote:

Yeah, those are intriguing, aren't they? They're extremely rare. In the four years I've known about them, I've only come across three sets online and I bought one.

Hmm...I just checked amazon.co.jp, and there are apparently three copies for sale (used of course); seems like ¥3000 is the going rate. Unfortunately, there's only one book listed, and they don't say if it's volume 1 or 2, or if it's both of them together.

Still, I may just buy one and find out.

Tim Eldred wrote:

But I'll let you in on a little secret: if all goes well, someday I'm going to translate them chapter by chapter and turn them into another webcomic. I have to finish the current one first, though.

Very cool!

I'm busy translating Macross novels right now (one down, a whole bunch to go... :S ), but I was thinking of tackling Yamato sometime afterwards for my next big project. That'll be a few years from now, though.
14 years 2 months ago #10056

Ooh, be really careful there. As you know from reading my articles, there are many more Yamato novels from Sonorama that could get in the way. They aren't always listed correctly. The publishing date is the key. If it clearly says 1974 or 75 you've probably found it. If it's from later, you'll be disappointed.

Either way, if you're interested in teaming up for that future project, I could definitely use the help!
14 years 2 months ago #10058

Followup: if it's a single paperback it's got to be the combo volume, which IS more common than the original hardcovers since it got reprinted many times. It runs a little over 300 pages with this number: ISBN4-257-76001-X.
14 years 2 months ago #10059

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Tim Eldred wrote:

Either way, if you're interested in teaming up for that future project, I could definitely use the help!

Mister, you got yourself a deal! :)

I'll get the book as soon as I can, but I probably won't be able to start on it until late this year or early next year, if that's okay.
14 years 2 months ago #10067

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Welcome to the boards Tim. I saw you at Macross World Con this past year. It's a pleasure to see you've joined us here.

In the past 3 or 4 years I've been getting sick of the newer anime series and have been getting more into older series. About 2 years ago I felt like I wanted to watch some of Leiji Matsumoto's series. I decided to start with Yamato and got through all three seasons of it. I haven't seen the movies yet because I've been pre-occupied with other things. After seeing the series it's now in my favorite series list. I regret not seeing it sooner.

Do any of you feel disappointed with anime fans who haven't seen the classics or don't know what you're talking about? (This could apply to Robotech too and maybe I should have started a separate thread for that question) I suppose it's one thing for those who are ignorant and lack an interest in them as opposed to those who are interested, but don't know about them.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 2 months ago #10400

It's easy to blame them, but not exactly fair. Everyone has to come to the older stuff in their own time. With anime, I find your taste is irrevocably colored by whatever show grabs you first. Then everything else has to live up to that show and for a while you tend to only watch what reminds you of that show, like something else in the same genre or with the same art design, etc.

That represents your first "phase" of fandom. The second phase is where you get enough of the similar shows and start to seek out different ones. It's totally up to you to decide when you've reached that point. The rest of fandom owes you the courtesy of NOT trying to force you to absorb something different before you're ready. And if they do, your resistance to it will only increase.

Would I like everyone to see Star Blazers/Yamato tomorrow and learn how pivotal it was? You bet. But it would be ridiculous of me to expect that and it wouldn't affect my appreciation of it in any way, so I'm satisfied just to continue keeping the flame lit for when they finally do show up to stare at it.

Short answer? It's a waste of your time and energy to grumble about what other people like or don't like. Just get on with liking what YOU like and eventually some of them will join you.
14 years 2 months ago #10467

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Short answer? It's a waste of your time and energy to grumble about what other people like or don't like. Just get on with liking what YOU like and eventually some of them will join you.

HEHEHE... LOVE THAT QUOTE.

WELL, I AM STARTING ON LOOKING FOR THE CLASSICS MAN. TO BAD I HAVE TO START WITH ENGLISH. CAN'T SEEM TO FIND SPANISH VERSIONS. WHICH IS COOL ANYWAYS SINCE I TEND TO FORGET THE OLDER ANIME'S ANYWAYS.

SKIMMING THROUGH YOUR PAGE TO SEE IF I CAN START SOMEWHERE AND THEN GOOGLE FOR PRICES.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 2 months ago #10469

If you're talking about skimming through starblazers.com, just click on 'shop' at the top of every page.
14 years 2 months ago #10478

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Tim Eldred wrote:

With anime, I find your taste is irrevocably colored by whatever show grabs you first. Then everything else has to live up to that show and for a while you tend to only watch what reminds you of that show, like something else in the same genre or with the same art design, etc.

I guess it depends on the person. Before I specifically watched anime I used to watch any other animation series that interested me. So when I did watch anime I would watch a variety of different types. Maybe that's why I don't fit into the ideal of only watching the type that you first got interested in.

I agree that you can't force it upon them. There's certain series I won't watch. I'm still aware of those series and some of them I have given a chance, but didn't like. If I don't know about them I'm willing to listen. Not all fans are like that. I think it bothers me that someone can say they are such a huge fan, but really lack the knowledge.

It's disappointing to see less and less interest in the older series. I wonder if that's because it has become a fad for some or if some fans move onto other interests before they can appreciate more than the newer series. I've heard people specifically say that they won't watch something because it's too old.

Memo- If you're interested in what old series to watch you can go to Wikipedia and look up old production companies like Tatsunoko, Toei, and Sunrise. You can browse through the series they've created to see what you want to watch. Unfortunately it doesn't mean that you'll be able to find the animation in english or spanish, but at least you'll have an idea on what you can look for.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 2 months ago #10495

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds