Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tim-Eldred on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Wow, that's one out of left field! I've never heard of those, so I suspect it was a local phenom only; probably a handful of episodes run back to back and labeled a 'movie' by whoever put them together. If they had been shown outside of LA I'm sure they would be remembered. There are far too many obsessive fans out there (including me) for a factoid like this to have slipped through unnoticed.

It's a good idea, though. I'm glad someone tried it.
14 years 2 months ago #9695

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Tim Eldred wrote:

Wow, that's one out of left field! I've never heard of those, so I suspect it was a local phenom only; probably a handful of episodes run back to back and labeled a 'movie' by whoever put them together. If they had been shown outside of LA I'm sure they would be remembered. There are far too many obsessive fans out there (including me) for a factoid like this to have slipped through unnoticed.

It's a good idea, though. I'm glad someone tried it.

Hmm...I'm tempted to believe that it's all just a trick of my memory, except that it's really quite vivid. The movies each ran from 7:00 to 9:00 PM, but 8:00 was my bedtime. So I was halfway through the first movie when my parents told me it was time to go to bed. I threw a fit, bad enough that they forbade me from watching any of the second movie the following night.

I remember nothing about the movie itself; I'd like to think that if it had been the preexisting dub of the first Yamato movie, I would've noticed the difference in voice actors, but I don't recall any of that.

I think that they aired right around the same time the first series ended and the second began. At least, I distantly remember seeing the title "Derek Wildstar and the Comet Empire" in the TV listings and wondering who the Comet Empire were.

It never bugged me until I went through my first "Yamato phase" after getting hooked up to the internet...and was unable to find any proof that these movies ever actually existed...
14 years 2 months ago #9698

I'm confident that it wasn't the first Yamato movie. The name 'Derek Wildstar' didn't exist yet when it was dubbed in 1976.
14 years 2 months ago #9708

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

HMM.. POSSBLE THEY COMBINED EPISODES FOR A MOVIE WITH A DIFFERENT NAME JUST TO GET SOME RATING FEEDBACK. I SEEN MANY OF THOSE IN L.A. BACK IN THE DAY.

GODZILLA COMES INTO MIND AS WELL AS GIANT ROBO.

I ALSO GOT THE SAME TREATMENT WITH THE T.V. I HAD TO SNEEK OUT AT NIGHT AND TURN ON THE TUBE WITH THE LIGHTS OFF.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 2 months ago #9713

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Tim Eldred wrote:

I'm confident that it wasn't the first Yamato movie. The name 'Derek Wildstar' didn't exist yet when it was dubbed in 1976.

Good point. Damn, I wish I could remember more about it...

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

HMM.. POSSBLE THEY COMBINED EPISODES FOR A MOVIE WITH A DIFFERENT NAME JUST TO GET SOME RATING FEEDBACK. I SEEN MANY OF THOSE IN L.A. BACK IN THE DAY.

GODZILLA COMES INTO MIND AS WELL AS GIANT ROBO.

Yeah. Family Film Festival on weekends was great for oddball stuff like that.

And, speaking of combined episodes, I remember watching Codename: Robotech when they showed THAT on channel 13. Later, I had friends "in the know" (i.e. C/FO members) who told me it didn't exist. Here I was, this poor little eleven-year-old kid saying indignently, "But I saw it! It was called 'Codename: Robotech' and it was like a longer version of 'Gloval's Report'! And it was on the Friday before the series itself started." And the older guys were just kind of shaking their heads, sure that I'd dreamed it or something.

So it was something of a relief when I found out later that, yes, it DID INDEED exist. B)
14 years 2 months ago #9714

GUBABA

Yeah. Family Film Festival on weekends was great for oddball stuff like that.

I REMEMBER THAT!. THOSE WERE GREAT TIMES MAN.

And, speaking of combined episodes, I remember watching Codename: Robotech when they showed THAT on channel 13. Later, I had friends "in the know" (i.e. C/FO members) who told me it didn't exist. Here I was, this poor little eleven-year-old kid saying indignently, "But I saw it! It was called 'Codename: Robotech' and it was like a longer version of 'Gloval's Report'! And it was on the Friday before the series itself started." And the older guys were just kind of shaking their heads, sure that I'd dreamed it or something.

So it was something of a relief when I found out later that, yes, it DID INDEED exist.

I NEVER SAW IT ON T.V. HEARD OTHERS FANS TALK ABOUT IT BUT WHEN I JUMPED ON THE SERIES WAS JUST ABOUT 3 EPISODES IN. SO I COULD NOT TELL IF THEY WERE LYING OR NOT. VOICES SOUNDED DIFFERENT AND SUCH.

THEN THERE WAS THIS ANIME GROUP IN L.A. THAT HAD IT WHILE VISITING FROM SAN DIEGO (WAS LIVING IN SAN DIEGO WHEN ROBOTECH AIRED). NEIGHBORS WHO SHOWED IT TO ME. THERE WAY OF RECORDING SHOWS OR MAKING COPY'S WAS JUST TO POINT HUGE CAMCORDER AT THE T.V.

ALSO DURING THE SUMMER IN THE 70'S,SAME NEIGHBORS (THEY WERE IN HIGH SCHOOL AND EARLY COLLEGE) HAD BACK YARD MADE UP THEATERS WITH MODIFIED SPEAKERS FOR SOUND TO SHOW ANIME. I NEVER MISSED A FRIDAY NIGHT SHOW THAT RAN FOR 3 HOURS. MEXICANS FOR YOU. AND BETA TAPES WEREN'T CHEAP. THEY HAD SPACESHIP YAMATO AND SAW THE SERIES IN ENGLISH DURING ONE SUMMER. I LIKE SPANISH BETTER.. BUT SURE WAS GREAT.

GOT EXPOSED TO MORE ANIME THAT WAY THEY KEPT THE BEST FOR LAST.

YEARS LATER IN CABLE GOT TO SEE MORE YAMATO AND ACTUAL MOVIES NOW. BUT AROUND MIDNIGHT. DURING ANIME NIGHTS.

THERE WAS THIS ONE ANIME.. IT HAD SAILS IN THEIR SHIPS IN SPACE AND FOLLOWED A BEAM OF LIGHT. KINDA LIKE THE VESSELS FROM TRON. NEVER SAW IT AGAIN.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 2 months ago #9738

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I NEVER SAW IT ON T.V. HEARD OTHERS FANS TALK ABOUT IT BUT WHEN I JUMPED ON THE SERIES WAS JUST ABOUT 3 EPISODES IN. SO I COULD NOT TELL IF THEY WERE LYING OR NOT.

Damn...I started watching Robotech SIX WHOLE DAYS before you did...? Weird.

(There's a part of me now that's just DYING to say, "Y'know, Memo, this Robotech thing...it's all just a phase. When you've been watching it as long as I have, you'll see that it's really not that special" or something like that. ;) )

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

THERE WAS THIS ONE ANIME.. IT HAD SAILS IN THEIR SHIPS IN SPACE AND FOLLOWED A BEAM OF LIGHT. KINDA LIKE THE VESSELS FROM TRON. NEVER SAW IT AGAIN.

Odin, perhaps...?

Another one I liked that I saw on channel cincuenta dos, KVEA, was Gladiadores del Espacio (AKA Baxinger). Couldn't understand much of what they were saying, but I thought it was INCREDIBLY cool.
14 years 2 months ago #9740

GUBABA

(There's a part of me now that's just DYING to say, "Y'know, Memo, this Robotech thing...it's all just a phase. When you've been watching it as long as I have, you'll see that it's really not that special" or something like that.

FUNNY GUY... TECHNICALITY. WAS IN DIEGO AND THEY WERE SHOWING IT LATE IN THE MORNING. ONE DAY WOKE UP LATE AND CARTOONS ON T.V. WERE MY TIME CLOCK. JUST SO HAPPENS THAT I WOKE UP LATE AND MINUTES BEFORE ROBOTECH STARTED.

WHEN I GOT TO SCHOOL AND TO 2ND PERIOD. I HAD TO GO TO SUMMER SCHOOL TO MAKE UP THE WHOLE CLASS AFTER THAT. I COULD NOT MISS THE WHOLE SEASON.

FUNNY, THOUGHT NOTHING OF IT TILL I GRADUATED AND THERE WERE FANS OF ROBOTECH WHEN I STARTED WORKING. AND MY FIRST OFFICIAL BUYING COLLECTION WAS THE SUNCOAST VHS TAPES SOLD AT THE MALL.

HEHEHE

AND YEAH, THATS IT. WAS A ROCKER BACK THEN. LONG HAIR, MODELS AS GIRLFRIENDS... TIGHT JEANS.. OH YEAH. THAT'S IT. THANKS MAN. GOING TO CHECK INTO THAT.

Another one I liked that I saw on channel cincuenta dos, KVEA, was Gladiadores del Espacio (AKA Baxinger). Couldn't understand much of what they were saying, but I thought it was INCREDIBLY cool.

LOT OF SPANISH ANIME BACK THEN IN MEXICO. VIOLENCE WAS A MUST FOR KIDS. UNEDITED.

HEHEHE
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 2 months ago #9745

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato

Tim Eldred wrote:

Hey all- just registered here, totally new to the site and the chat group.

I'm the guy who researches and writes (and draws) everything at starblazers.com, so I'm very grateful to read your kind words about my work. Thanks!!

I can answer most if not all of your questions about the show or the Voyager DVDs, so fire away!

Welcome :)
I am a big fan of Star Blazers/Yamato and after 30 years I just got back into it because sadly I was ignorant of the dvd release back in 2000 and I did not know about the website until recently. I hope you will have the complete Series 1 for sale when I either get a good check or my tax refund comes in :)

I have a starnge question for you (And fellow Star Blazers/Yamato fans)
!!** Spoiler Question **!!

Was the you tube video of the "Final Yamato" canon? because it was heartbreaking to see the Argo/Yamato get destroyed because of a wave motion gun back fire.

Have a nice weekend
14 years 2 months ago #9765

I guess you'll just have to see Final Yamato for yourself to find out! You think I'm gonna spoil it here???
14 years 2 months ago #9769

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds