• REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Thank you received: 0

SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST? was created by rtsurfer

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

AND SHADOW CHRONICLES THAT MADE HG GOOD BUCKS

Memo, how much did Shadow Chronicles make, and what do you consider "good bucks"?

A LOT CONSIDERING THERE WERE MULTIPLE DVD VERSIONS SOLD. ADD THE SALE OF LICENSE EXPANDING TO ONLINE AS WELL.

Depends on what kind of deal HG had with ADV. How many license(s), how much the license cost, and whether HG got a cut of the actual DVD sales.
Concerning the multiple DVD versions, for all we know it was a contractual thing or an attempt to recoup losses on previous releases by selling another copy to the same consumers.
Do you know for sure that the online distribution was a separate license and not part of the original deal with ADV?
How much did HG actually make in USD from the distribution of Shadow Chronicles? And since you brought it up, how many copies of Shadow Chronicles have been sold?

And how can Shadow Chronicles seriously be counted as a success?

CHECK PREVIOUS ANSWER.

It was part one of a multi-part story arc with three or four installments, at least according to Tommy.

CORRECT. EVEN RICHARD EPCAR AFFIRM THAT THROUGH A CON ABOUT SIGNING ON TO 3 OTHER MOVIES BUT SCRAPPED AFTER THE WB DEAL.

In eleven years HG has released one installment, although some might say it wasn't actually finished, and the second is still in the development stage. How long do we have to wait for Shadow Rising

NEAR PRODUCTION OF WB ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE. HG ALREADY EXPLAINED MANY TIMES.

before the Shadow Chronicles Saga is considered another in a long line of failures by HG?

HOW IS IT A FAILURE WHEN THEY MADE THEIR MONEY BACK BIG TIME?

We will never know if the Shadow Chronicles Saga could have held its own or not since HG apparently didn't think it could and instead pinned their hopes on a LAM that may never come.
Why don't you back up your generalizations with some actual dollar amounts?
Until they release all four installments, or at least get the series in production again, it might as well be considered another failure.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
12 years 10 months ago #16207

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

I just wanna know when the future Shadow movies got scrapped since the 2nd is still in developement. If I'm just misunderstanding what Memo wrote (which wouldn't be surprising) why would they scrap the contract with the voice actors?
12 years 10 months ago #16209

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

ps99041 wrote:

I just wanna know when the future Shadow movies got scrapped since the 2nd is still in developement. If I'm just misunderstanding what Memo wrote (which wouldn't be surprising) why would they scrap the contract with the voice actors?

That is a very good question, Memo's comment does seem to suggest HG "scrapped" their contracts with the VAs for the remainder of the SC saga. And he attributed the info to someone, Richard Epcar, who would know.

12 years 10 months ago #16211

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

It seems MEMO becomes harder to understand when asked pressing questions. Anyway, there have been DVD sales consisting of -

Robotech Remastered - 7 Volumes
Robotech:The Macross Saga Complete Collection
Robotech:The Masters Saga Complete Collection
Robotech:The New Generation Complete Collection
Robotech:The Protoculture Collection
Robotech:The Legacy Collection (7 volumes)
Robotech:The Sahdow Chronicles
Robotech:The Shadow Chronicles:Special 2 Disc Edition
Robotech:The Shadow Chronicles Blu-Ray

Then add in sales of

Macross Individual DVDs
Macross Sub Only Collection
Genesis Climber Mospeada Sub Only Collection
Southern Cross Sub Only Collection

I would have a hard time that these were made available to recoup cost considering most companies simply stop further releases if a DVD is not selling well. An example would be Gargoyles (unfortunately).

I am of the belief that HG made some good money off the stuff prior to Shadow Chronicles as at the time we had a resurgence in 80's properties more so than now. Remember how G.I. JOE made a comeback with those CGI movies to sell their toys, Ninja Turtles started again in 2003. Transformers comics from Dreamwave were a big hit at the time...

Then at the time in the early 2000's Robotech toys seemed to be selling fairly well. The Macross Saga MPC collection made it through the characters without stopping production. Then there were Battlecry and Invasion which regardless of quality still made it to shelves. If anything games are not cheap to make.

Now I may not be privy to behind the scene info or even have a relation with anyone at HG like some people do, but I can tell you that HG had to make a pretty penny off this stuff. On top of that you add in the license fee money for the LAM which are usually at minimum 6 figures if not much larger for something of this nature.

All of this has led me to believe that HG made more money then needed to continue production. The fact that they made Shadow Chronicles shows they made enough to warrant continued production in a renewed Robotech franchise.

WB probably got antsy seeing that Harry Potter only had a few movies left, that Marvel had their act together,that Superman bombed, and that Transformers was a smash hit. So they approach HG give them a decent chunk of money and "buy the farm" so they can have a "reserve property" This leaves HG screwed as all their eggs are in one basket and a basket that they don't control. So 4-5 years later fans here wondering when we get another series, but is it possible that HG being a real estate company ,may have used any profit to shore up one of the business hardest hit in the recession of 08'?

Wall of words over.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
12 years 10 months ago #16212

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

I dont think that RT is doing really anything anymore. At this rate theyre scrapping the bottom trying to must up momentum, not realizing that their fanbase is burnt out of their bull shit. Its sad. Robotech could go so far, but instead it chooses to limit progressive media, and stagnate not only other co's to a halt, but themselves as well. Fuck 'em. Im sick of their bullshit.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
12 years 10 months ago #16215

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

Back in the early 2000's, there were unconfirmed reports that HG was selling Robotech license for around $1,000,000 USD each. During the early to mid 2000's, there was the DVDs, comics, vf-1 masterpieces, two console games, and misc small items. At some point HG also apparently renegotiated the license with Palladium games for a new set of rpgs, and there was a re-release of some novels though I'm unsure if that was under an existing license or new one. Anyway my point, much as Richardmvela's, is that HG should have had plenty of money for new projects, with the promised new animated series heading their list.

Yet, according to Tommy, HG's budget for Shadow Chronicles was less than $1,000,000 USD total, and IMO it does show. Also as Seto has pointed out, a fair bit of that probably went to the Voice Actors since they now belong to the screen actors guild and of course Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson.
Since Shadow Chronicles all they have done is complete a documentary and start work on rt2011, which has an even smaller budget than SC. Its not like they don't still have money coming in as they sold the live action movie rights to Warner Bros. What's going on with HG? Maybe they needed the money in another division of HG as Richard suggested. My wife thinks HG and their licensees are using Robotech as a tax write off.
Yeah, I know, the correct answer is HG is waiting on WBs Robotech LAM so they can cross promote. Whatever.

Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by rtsurfer.
12 years 10 months ago #16219

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hg did funnel a portion of the revenue to help shore up their real estate holdings, especially considering the SoCal market was one of the hardest hit from what I understand.

Another thing to consider was Agrama's legal problems in Italy and given the amount they were talking about with Silvio Berlusconi, perhaps the funds were diverted to keeping Agrama afloat.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
12 years 10 months ago #16220

• Zen72
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

Now since we ARE talking about COSTS in producing the "Award Winning when it was the only entrant in the category!" Shadow Chronicles....Let's go into HOW that budget went into "good use" by taking a CLOSER LOOK at things, hmm? ;)

These little gems were caught by a good friend of mine and REALLY put things into perspective.

NOTE: The pics are best viewed by right clicking on them and examining them on a new tab.

EXHIBIT A: OIL PRICES ARE APPARENTLY EVEN AFFECTING THE INVID...

EXHIBIT B: NOT JUST A MOVIE, BUT ALSO A REAL TIME STRATEGY MOD!

EXHIBIT C: WHY ANIMATE A FULL HAYDONITE WHEN YOU CAN ANIMATE A HALF HAYDONITE FOR HALF THE COST!!!

EXHIBIT D: IS THIS A CASE OF GIMMICK INFRINGEMENT???

EXHIBIT E: NOW THE OBVIOUS ONE IS THE SPELLING OF "CANCLE"...BUT ALSO THE FORESIGHT THAT IE (INTERNET EXPLORER) ONLY MADE IT TO VERSION 5 BY 2044!

Oh yes...there's MORE!

EXHIBIT F: SIGHS...THIS ONE JUST SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

EXHIBIT G: NOW THERE'S A THIRD THING TO CATCH ALONG WITH THE FIRST TWO POINTED OUT. IF VINCE GRANT IS 36 IN 2044...THAT MEANS HE WAS 14 WHEN THE SDF-3 LAUNCHED???? MAN THEY START 'EM YOUNG????

And finally...

EXHIBIT H: ERASING THE SEGMENTED LINES WOULD HAVE PUT THE PRODUCTION OVER BUDGET......OR IT WAST JUST PURE LAZINESS!!

So there ya go.....Harmony Gold production $$$ put to "good use."

MAN THAT WAS PAINFUL.... :S

- JT
12 years 10 months ago #16222

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

rtsurfer wrote:

Depends on what kind of deal HG had with ADV. How many license(s), how much the license cost, and whether HG got a cut of the actual DVD sales.
Concerning the multiple DVD versions, for all we know it was a contractual thing or an attempt to recoup losses on previous releases by selling another copy to the same consumers.

SPECULATING.

Do you know for sure that the online distribution was a separate license and not part of the original deal with ADV?

YES. WAS ASKED AT LONG BEACH CON.

How much did HG actually make in USD from the distribution of Shadow Chronicles? And since you brought it up, how many copies of Shadow Chronicles have been sold?

NO ONE OUTSIDE OF HG AND FUNIMATION KNOW. WE CAN ONLY GO BY WHAT HG SAYS. ANYTHING ELSE IT'S SPECULATIVE. INCLUDING YOUR FAILURE COMMENT.

We will never know if the Shadow Chronicles Saga could have held its own or not since HG apparently didn't think it could and instead pinned their hopes on a LAM that may never come.
Why don't you back up your generalizations with some actual dollar amounts?
Until they release all four installments, or at least get the series in production again, it might as well be considered another failure.

SPECULATION.

I DO AGREE WE WILL NEVER KNOW THOUGHT. BUT YOU FREE TO SPECULATE, PUT YOUR OPINION, AND GO FROM UNCONFIRMED REPORTS. GOOD FOR SPECULATING.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 10 months ago #16234

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: SHADOW CHRONICLES: PROFIT AND COST?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I DO AGREE WE WILL NEVER KNOW THOUGHT. BUT YOU FREE TO SPECULATE, PUT YOUR OPINION, AND GO FROM UNCONFIRMED REPORTS. GOOD FOR SPECULATING.

Memo...why do you say "SPECULATING" as though it invalidates the arguments, when you have an ENTIRE PODCAST which contains nothing but speculation? Mav works from unconfirmed reports, too...why do you never call him on it?
12 years 10 months ago #16237

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds