Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

Gubaba wrote;

It still seems to me that giving a potentially multi-million dollar tentpole franchise to someone who has directed only two theatrical films (one of which was very poorly reviewed and not successful, one of which hasn't been released yet) is a risky move.

As much risk as Peter Jackson who only directed low budget horror films prior to directing 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy.

Or as much risk as Sam Raimi whose synonymous with tacky low budget TV shows and gruesome horror films before being handed the 'Spiderman' trilogy. ;)

Personally, I don't see your logic! :laugh:

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by MaverickLSC.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11268

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

It still seems to me that giving a potentially multi-million dollar tentpole franchise to someone who has directed only two theatrical films (one of which was very poorly reviewed and not successful, one of which hasn't been released yet) is a risky move.

As much risk as Peter Jackson who only directed low budget horror films prior to directing 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy.

Or as much risk as Sam Raimi whose synonymous with tacky low budget TV shows and gruesome horror films before being handed the 'Spiderman' trilogy. ;)

Mav...

Well, remember that Peter Jackson also directed the critically-acclaimed and comercially successful film Heavenly Creatures (which also launched Kate Winslet's career). And that Sam Raimi had directed one of the best comic-book style movies ever, Darkman, in 1990. And that both directors' horror films (in Jackson's case, Braindead; in Raimi's case, Evil Dead 2) were also considered very innovative. On a purely technical level, both films were brilliant, and each movie pretty much exploded with raw talent.

If you're comparing I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer to either of those movies, you know nothing about film. :)

I'd also point out that, according to IMDB, Jackson had directed six "professional" films before doing Lord of the Rings, and Sam Raimi had directed nine before being given Spider Man. Sylvain White has directed three "professional" movies, one of which (I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer) was straight to DVD (and is universally regarded as atrocious), one of which (Stomp the Yard) fared badly both with critics and at the box office, and one of which (The Losers) has yet to come out, but is not garnerning much positive buzz right now.

So I guess that I don't get your logic, either. What is it that Sylvain White has in common with Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi again...?
14 years 3 weeks ago #11270

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

Gubaba wrote:

(The Losers)

I just came up with this as a reference to subjet.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Lobizon.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11271

• mecha2241
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by mecha2241 on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

I'm just going to copy and paste what I posted on Robotech.com:

Before people go too far into reading too much into this let's actually examine what Mr. White said:

Speaking to fans at San Francisco's WonderCon on Saturday, White said:

"Well, it's not a project that's greenlit, so you know, ... It's a great cult series. When it came out, I actually saw it in France, growing up. I saw it in French. It's a pretty amazing cartoon. And I'm hoping it's going to come to fruition. I read a draft that's really good. ... I'm interested in doing it, but the project is not fast tracked or anything like that, so there's no official thing. There's no deal. ... They sent me a draft. I liked it. It's a work in progress."

In other words settle down, unless you want a cheap, crappy direct to video production like "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer."

Here's the rest of the article: scifiwire.com/2010/04/losers-director-confirms.php
14 years 3 weeks ago #11272

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

mecha2241 wrote:

Speaking to fans at San Francisco's WonderCon on Saturday, White said:

"Well, it's not a project that's greenlit, so you know, ... It's a great cult series. When it came out, I actually saw it in France, growing up. I saw it in French. It's a pretty amazing cartoon. And I'm hoping it's going to come to fruition. I read a draft that's really good. ... I'm interested in doing it, but the project is not fast tracked or anything like that, so there's no official thing. There's no deal. ... They sent me a draft. I liked it. It's a work in progress."

Important bits emphasized. :)
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Gubaba.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11274

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

MaverickLSC wrote:

Mav...

But how could you not?

Gubaba wrote:

Well, remember that Peter Jackson also directed the critically-acclaimed and comercially successful film Heavenly Creatures (which also launched Kate Winslet's career). And that Sam Raimi had directed one of the best comic-book style movies ever, Darkman, in 1990. And that both directors' horror films (in Jackson's case, Braindead; in Raimi's case, Evil Dead 2) were also considered very innovative. On a purely technical level, both films were brilliant, and each movie pretty much exploded with raw talent.

If you're comparing I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer to either of those movies, you know nothing about film. :)

I'd also point out that, according to IMDB, Jackson had directed six "professional" films before doing Lord of the Rings, and Sam Raimi had directed nine before being given Spider Man. Sylvain White has directed three "professional" movies, one of which (I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer) was straight to DVD (and is universally regarded as atrocious), one of which (Stomp the Yard) fared badly both with critics and at the box office, and one of which (The Losers) has yet to come out, but is not garnerning much positive buzz right now.

So I guess that I don't get your logic, either. What is it that Sylvain White has in common with Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi again...?

Even a complete film-ignoramus as myself could tell you that. But Gubs sums it up pretty much in the quote above.

Fan-teasing should be limited, its all RT fans ever get. This is why I didn't even bother putting it up as *NEWS*

Next. . .
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 3 weeks ago #11275

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

Gubaba wrote;

Well, remember that Peter Jackson also directed the critically-acclaimed and comercially successful film Heavenly Creatures (which also launched Kate Winslet's career).

That film was a not a commercial success, one can say it barely broke even ;)

movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800226254/info

Considering there budget was $5 million;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavenly_Creatures

The U.S. box office take was only $870,828, but was not a complete commercial failure. Heavenly Creatures was not a huge box office success ethier, but performed admirably in various countries, including the United States where it grossed a total of $3,049,135 during its limited run in 57 theaters and $5,438,120 worldwide yes it was Kate Winslet's first film and she did receive some praise but most of that went un-noticed. But the film did launch her career, however she achieved more recognition for her subsequent work in a supporting role in Sense and Sensibility (1995) and for her leading role in Titanic (1997)

Oh btw Gubaba, you must of spoken too soon. ;)

www.hollywoodnews.com/2010/04/04/%E2%80%...98robotech%E2%80%99/

Quoted from the article;

White demurred on the specifics of his contract, but admitted that he has read the screenplay for Robotech. “I actually read a draft [of a script] that was really good. I’m interested in doing it, but the project is not fast-tracked or anything like that, so it’s not official – there’s no deal, there’s nothing like that. They sent me a draft, I liked it, and I think it’s a work in progress.”

Sigh! :laugh:

Believe me, what I wrote was understood by most film buffs ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
14 years 3 weeks ago #11278

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25574

ROBOTECH

At that same press conference, director Sylvain White mention he was interested in directing a film based on the mid-80s syndicated TV series. "The project is not fast tracked. There is no official thing. They sent me a draft and I liked it. It's a work in progress," said the director. IESB got a little more information about which set of characters would be featured in the film. "It's the first generation," he said. Reportedly, Harmony Gold, the company that owns "Robotech," is prohibited from producing new material featuring the first generation characters that originally come from "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" as the "Macross" story is owned by another company. Of course, this being movies, deals could have been made for a live action feature.

Read it, and weep.
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Viper.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11279

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

They did say "reportedly" not "confirmed" so can't read and weep just yet. But what we can read and weep is that he only read a draft and that the film is not fast tracked:

"The project is not fast tracked. There is no official thing. They sent me a draft and I liked it. It's a work in progress. . ."

--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 3 weeks ago #11281

• mecha2241
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by mecha2241 on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

Thanks Gubaba for highlighting the important parts there. I did that at Robotech.com but I admit I was too lazy when I re-posted it here.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11284

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds