Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

Well, remember that Peter Jackson also directed the critically-acclaimed and comercially successful film Heavenly Creatures (which also launched Kate Winslet's career).

That film was a not a commercial success, one can say it barely broke even ;)

movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800226254/info

Considering there budget was $5 million;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavenly_Creatures

The U.S. box office take was only $870,828, but was not a complete commercial failure. Heavenly Creatures was not a huge box office success ethier, but performed admirably in various countries, including the United States where it grossed a total of $3,049,135 during its limited run in 57 theaters and $5,438,120 worldwide yes it was Kate Winslet's first film and she did receive some praise but most of that went un-noticed. But the film did launch her career, however she achieved more recognition for her subsequent work in a supporting role in Sense and Sensibility (1995) and for her leading role in Titanic (1997)

Maverick...I'm sorry. I don't know if you're trying to be funny or serious. If you're being funny, then I think we're just on different wavelengths. If you're being serious...well, then, I don't know what to say. Heavenly Creatures was not a huge finacial success, but it was a success. It ended up on TONS of critics' top ten lists, and was known (around Los Angeles, at least) as a MUST SEE art film. Believe me, I know. I was there.

Show me ANY top-ten lists - credible or otherwise - that have any Sylvain White films on them, and I'll bow to your superior wisdom. If you can't, my point still stands. Even if you can, my point still stands. You said Peter Jackson had only directed low-budget horror films before he took on Lord of the Rings, and I pointed out that that is not the case.

MaverickLSC wrote:

Oh btw Gubaba, you must of spoken too soon. ;)

www.hollywoodnews.com/2010/04/04/%E2%80%...98robotech%E2%80%99/

Quoted from the article;

White demurred on the specifics of his contract, but admitted that he has read the screenplay for Robotech. “I actually read a draft [of a script] that was really good. I’m interested in doing it, but the project is not fast-tracked or anything like that, so it’s not official – there’s no deal, there’s nothing like that. They sent me a draft, I liked it, and I think it’s a work in progress.”

Sigh! :laugh:

In Mr. White's own words: it's a DRAFT. It's NOT OFFICIAL. THERE'S NO DEAL. Now, maybe he's lying because he needs to keep it hush-hush or something, but neither you nor I would have any way of knowing that. But Sylvain White is the primary source here. Todd Gilchrist, who wrote the article, is a secondary source. Are you saying the primary source is wrong, and the secondary source is right? That's just bad logic.

MaverickLSC wrote:

Believe me, what I wrote was understood by most film buffs ;)

Mav...

Oh, all film buffs (including myself) UNDERSTAND you, we just think you're WRONG. :)
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Gubaba.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11285

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Autobotdan on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

I just hope this movie turns out decent..I think speed racer live action turned out much better than dragon ball live actioin but is that saying much?
14 years 3 weeks ago #11286

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

SIGHUP wrote:

They did say "reportedly" not "confirmed" so can't read and weep just yet. But what we can read and weep is that he only read a draft and that the film is not fast tracked:

"The project is not fast tracked. There is no official thing. They sent me a draft and I liked it. It's a work in progress. . ."

TRUE THAT.

WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHO ELSE GOT TO SEE THE TREATMENT. BUT LIKE I SAID. WE AROUND THE CORNER FOR THAT "NEWS" TO HIT. EXPECTED IT MAYBE NEXT YEAR BUT WILL TAKE ANYTHING NOW.

HEHEHE
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 3 weeks ago #11287

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

Viper wrote:

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25574

ROBOTECH

Reportedly, Harmony Gold, the company that owns "Robotech," is prohibited from producing new material featuring the first generation characters that originally come from "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" as the "Macross" story is owned by another company. Of course, this being movies, deals could have been made for a live action feature.

Read it, and weep.

HAHAHAHHAHA

THANKS FOR THE LAUGH THERE VIPER.. BROUGHT A GOOD TEAR.

HEHEHE.

LOOKS LIKE THE POOR GUY TRYING TO ATTACHED A PERSONAL OPINION WITHOUT FACTS OR KNOWLEDGE OR SOURCE. COPIES ONE REPORT WITH A SOURCE WHERE A DIRECTOR SEES AND SAYS AND ADDS HIS OWN OPINION WITH "REPORTEDLY"? HE CANT EVEN NAME THE SOURCE.

FUUUUUNY. ;)

OK... MOVING ON.
:P

AUTOBOTDAN, I WITH YOU MAN. I GUESS WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11288

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

Crap! If they don't announce something good at Comic Con I'm walking out of the panel.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 3 weeks ago #11289

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

SIGHUP wrote:

Crap! If they don't announce something good at Comic Con I'm walking out of the panel.

HAHAHA..

THING IS THERE IS NO DEFINITE NEWS. JUST THE PROGRESS AS OF NOW.

TRON PANEL SHOULD BE GOOD.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11290

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

TRON PANEL SHOULD BE GOOD.

Crowded too, I'm sure.

Y'know, of all the '80s remakes/remodels coming out, Tron is the only one that I'm kinda excited about...which is strange, since the original movie is one of those things that I liked as a kid, but don't want to revisit for fear it will seem really dumb and uninteresting (cf. original Battlestar Galactica, The Black Hole, and The Star Wars Holiday Special).
14 years 3 weeks ago #11292

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

On the plus side, at least they are still moving forward with the movie, but unfortunately if it moves at this pace it will probably get crushed before it start filming.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11301

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

YOU KIDDING? ONLY BEEN 3 YEARS SINCE WE HEARD ABOUT THE DEAL. WAS EXPECTING AT LEAST 6 OR 7.
14 years 3 weeks ago #11317

• gundam_gp02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by gundam_gp02 on topic Re:Sylvain white was approached to direct robotech

[post deleted]
Last edit: 14 years 2 days ago by Lobizon.
14 years 4 days ago #11963

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds