Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game was created by MEMO1DOMINION

ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE BY WARNER BROTHERS AND TOBEY MAGUIRE HITS A COURT SNAG... WELL, ACTUALLY TOBEY.

Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game; DiCaprio, Affleck & Damon Involved

www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/06/t...n-affleck-matt-damon

By Dylan Howard - Senior Executive Editor, Star magazine
Posted on Jun 22, 2011 @ 01:30PM

Spider-Man star Tobey Maguire is among more than a dozen high-profile Hollywood people being sued in connection with a mega-millions illegal gambling ring that ran high-stakes underground poker games, Star magazine is reporting exclusively.

DOCUMENTS: Tobey Maguire Sued Over Illegal Poker Game
www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.co...cs%20Radaronline.pdf

Maguire, 35, won more than $300,000 from a Beverly Hills hedge fund manager who embezzled investor funds and orchestrated a Ponzi scheme in a desperate bid to pay off his monster debt to the star and others, it's alleged.

An FBI investigation into Brad Ruderman, the CEO of Ruderman Capital Partners, uncovered how he lost $25 million of investor money in clandestine poker games held on a twice weekly basis in suites at the luxury Beverly Hills hotel, Four Seasons, and the Viper Room on Sunset Boulevard.

Tinsel town A-listers Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon also played in the no-limit Texas Hold 'em games which had a buy-in of $100,000, multiple members of the ring told Star. DiCaprio, Affleck and Damon are not being sued.

Leonardo & Blake Lively In Italy

Others who were part of the secret society and are facing hefty lawsuits include billionaire businessman Alex Gores, The Notebook director Nick Cassavetes, Welcome Back, Kotter star Gabe Kaplan, Paris Hilton's infamous sex tape partner, Rick Salomon, record label owner Cody Leibel and Las Vegas nightlife entrepreneur and real-estate developer Andrew Sasson, among others.

DOCUMENTS: Read Lawsuit Against Alex Gores

Now, as Ruderman sits in a Texas jail until 2018, convicted on two counts of wire fraud and two counts of investment adviser fraud, lawyers for the clients whose funds he embezzled are filing a series of civil suits against those who won big in the illegal poker dens, in the hope of recouping some of their lost savings.

Stars Arrive At Spider-Man Opening Night

The games were "exclusive events, by invitation only, and that there was a regular roster of players consisting of wealthy celebrities, entrepreneurs, attorneys and businessmen," according to the lawsuit filed against Maguire in the United States Bankruptcy Court, in Los Angeles.

Ruderman lost $311,300 to Maguire, including one losing hand of $110,000, on July 30, 2007, it's claimed.

The Ponzi mastermind used clients' money to "pay for gambling losses at clandestine, high stakes poker games that were operated without any licenses or permits," the suit said.

Matt Damon A Proud Papa

"As part of the scheme, funds invested in (Ruderman) were transferred to persons such as Defendant (Maguire), who received the funds on account of Ruderman's gambling losses and on account of Defendant's gambling winnings."

In their attempt to win back Ruderman's losses, the trustee has claimed Maguire is "not entitled to receive the transfers from the Debtor, which transfers were compromised of improperly-diverted investor funds."

In a deposition of the alleged ringleader of the operation, which took in tens of millions of dollars beginning in 2006 through 2009, Maguire is described as a "very, very frequent player," in the games, which ended in 2009.

All Aboard! Leo's Supermodel Girlfriend Sets Sail With Armani

Maguire won as much as $1 million a month over a period of three years, one source told Star, which is on newsstands Wednesday.

"That means he could have made up to $30 to $40 million from these games," the whistle-blowing card shark predicted.

Under California law, it's illegal to play for money at underground poker clubs, although it is a crime rarely prosecuted. None of the participants are under criminal investigation, Star has been told.

Matt Damon & Ben Affleck: Boys Poker Night

Indeed, it's understood Maguire has hired an attorney to strenuously defend the allegations against him, who will argue the games were not illegal.

In a world exclusive investigation, Star detailed how the A-list aces used secret passwords to play in the covert games that were so intense, the door was manned by armed guards in bulletproof vests.

Inside the rooms, tucked away in different locations around Los Angeles, high-rollers laid down wads of cash on felt-top tables presided over by professional dealers who were part of the operation's hierarchy.

Bar Refaeli At Cannes Beaver Premiere

One of the participants, Dan Bilzerian, told Star that he regularly played against DiCaprio, Affleck and Maguire.

Damon, according to Bilzerian, played irregularly.

While Affleck, who won an Academy Award for his screenplay Good Will Hunting, impressed players with his poker skills, both DiCaprio and Damon did not fair as well, Star reported.

"Matt never won,’’ another whistle-blowing player told the magazine.

A-Listers Before They Were Stars

"In truth, Leo is a tight ass. When he lost $50,000 the look in his eyes was obvious he was crazy."
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 9 months ago #16852

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

I'm sure that money he was winning was going towards the production of the LAM

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
12 years 9 months ago #16854

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

And people said it was just Warner who was gambling away the RT movie rights. Oh well, time for Asylem to pick up and make an RT movie. "50ft Megasoldier Vs Transmoplaneman!" :side:
12 years 9 months ago #16855

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

^Wonder if someone else won the rights to Robo-Tech ;)

I seriously doubt Tobey is still involved with Robotech anyway. His name nor production co wasn't on any of the copyrights HG & WBs filed since the deal. His co may have given up any claim they had on Robotech to WBs or WBs may have taken it away from them. Not like HG is going to disclose what's actually going on with the LAM, and apparently its not a priority for WBs -- have they even made a single statement concerning the LAM since the deal was originally made back in 2007.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
12 years 9 months ago #16856

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

Poker Ring High Roller Speaks Out: We're Still Playing, Labels Tobey Maguire 'Cheap'
www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/06/p...-tobey-maguire-cheap

Dan told Star he often played against Maguire, 35, who he called a "nit" -- a reference in poker circles to an extremely tight/passive player that avoids confrontations.

Nits, it's suggested, tend to avoid big pots and do not like to gamble.

"Tobey is a jerk off," Dan said of the actor Maguire, who is being sued for Ruderman's losing hand to him, totaling $311,300.

"He's cheap as f**k and plays like a cheap b*tch... a guy who's worth all that money playing as if he's broke. Come on, dude."

:woohoo: :laugh: He seems like a perfect fit with HG's business style B)

Tobey Maguire Was Paid Poker Winnings Through Personal Account Of Jailed Hedge Fund Manager
www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/06/t...nt-jailed-hedge-fund
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
12 years 9 months ago #16857

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

rtsurfer wrote:

I seriously doubt Tobey is still involved with Robotech anyway. His name nor production co wasn't on any of the copyrights HG & WBs filed since the deal. His co may have given up any claim they had on Robotech to WBs or WBs may have taken it away from them. Not like HG is going to disclose what's actually going on with the LAM, and apparently its not a priority for WBs -- have they even made a single statement concerning the LAM since the deal was originally made back in 2007.

I'm one of those few who is actually in the "know" about the movie, and what I know isn't good news.

12 years 9 months ago #16861

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

Biollante wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

I'm one of those few who is actually in the "know" about the movie, and what I know isn't good news.

All right, I'll bite. What do you know? I really don't care about the LAM, I just want my Shdaow Rising.
12 years 9 months ago #16863

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

khoroshen wrote:

And people said it was just Warner who was gambling away the RT movie rights. Oh well, time for Asylem to pick up and make an RT movie. "50ft Megasoldier Vs Transmoplaneman!" :side:

Screw that, let Syfy do it, it could be the first SyFy original without a CG monster........though they could add one in for the lulz.

All right, I'll bite. What do you know? I really don't care about the LAM, I just want my Shdaow Rising

It's been shelved.

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by LadyGrimes.
12 years 9 months ago #16864

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

rtsurfer wrote;

I seriously doubt Tobey is still involved with Robotech anyway. His name nor production co wasn't on any of the copyrights HG & WBs filed since the deal.

Of course not his name was not on those contracts, the film deal is between Warner Brothers and Harmony Gold! Tobey Maguire and his production company Maguire entertainment are not affiliated in any way other than a work for hire studio. The rights will remain with Warner Brothers until the time specified in the contract written out in 2007.

rtsurfer wrote;

what's actually going on with the LAM, and apparently its not a priority for WBs -- have they even made a single statement concerning the LAM since the deal was originally made back in 2007

Well Harmony Gold did announced back in 2008 that Warner Brothers bought the merchandising rights tied to the film. This will take a few years once the films designs are set in stone then passed on to their third party manufacturers to tool up to produce toys and such. ;)

Also little tidbits of news have come out since, but WB is being very tight lipped about it! ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by MaverickLSC.
12 years 9 months ago #16865

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Robotech Tobey Maguire Sued Over Multi-Million Dollar Illegal Poker Game

MaverickLSC wrote:

Well Harmony Gold did announced back in 2008 that Warner Brothers bought the merchandising rights tied to the film. This will take a few years once the films designs are set in stone then passed on to their third party manufacturers to tool up to produce toys and such. ;)

Also little tidbits of news have come out since, but WB is being very tight lipped about it! ;)

Mav...

Kind of a moot point about merchandise production as they can't even get to that stage if they don't have a greenlit production. The fact that you guys have to search for random, dated, obscure, and outright false facts to justify that the LAM is alive and well just gives biollante's statement more credibility that it's been shelved. Add to that the fact that time continues to go by without any Hollywood rumors about the LAM. I also see the sidequel that they're trying (yes trying - otherwise why is it taking to long to produce a "smaller" project) to produce as just a tactic for HG to help try to maintain WB's faith in the franchise. Definitely not a good time to be a Robotech or Robo-Tech or Robo Tech fan...
12 years 9 months ago #16867

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds