• Thank you received: 114

Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009 was created by MEMO1DOMINION

THANKS TO MAV IN RT.COM
www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.ph...2030618&pagenumber=1

Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal Talk Spider-Man, Mistaken Identities

Mon., Nov. 23, 2009 3:12 PM PST by Josh Grossberg

ARTICLE LINK
au.eonline.com/uberblog/b155112_tobey_ma..._gyllehaal_talk.html

Tobey Maguire is still Spider-Man. And that ticks off Jake Gyllenhaal.

See, Gyllenhaal almost took over the superhero role in 2003 when Maguire's bum back had him sidelined. Maguire healed. Gyllenhaal still stews.

"People have very often said to me that I look like Tobey," Gyllehaal laughingly told us at the weekend press junket for their new film, Brothers, in which they play—yes—brothers. "To all those cab drivers in New York, I'm not Spider-Man!"

As for the guy who is Spidey, Maguire insisted there's no ill will between him and Gyllenhaal over the near-replacement in the big-bucks franchise.

"I got really excited about the idea of working with these guys [Gyllenhaal, costar Natalie Portman and director Jim Sheridan]," he said of the new Oscar-baiting sibling-rivalry drama, due out Dec. 3.

But inquiring minds really wanted scoop on Spider-Man 4. And this is what Maguire told us.

"In February or March we're going start [shooting]," he said of the sequel, set to hit theaters in 2011. But he was less forthcoming when asked about any plot spoilers and completely mum on the rumored villains (Dylan Baker as the Lizard? Rachel McAdams as Black Cat? What's the big role Bruce Campbell hinted at?).

Maguire did confirm that he is developing a big-screen version of the classic Japanese anime series Robotech with Warner Bros.

"We're working on it," he said.
Smallville scribes Alfred Gough and Miles Millar are cranking on the script, and Maguire may star, as well as produce.

But first, he will be working the Brothers publicity trail with Portman and doppelgänger Gyllenhaal.

Or as Gyllenhaal put it: "We really just made the movie so I could say I look a little different than Tobey."

Maybe it will shut up those cabbies.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 5 months ago #8029

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

THANKS TO MAV IN RT.COM

Ah yes, another piece of incredibly trivial news blown far, FAR out of proportion by Maverick_LSC. Clearly neither you nor Maverick stopped to actually READ this article in full, or you would've noticed that it is neither newsworthy nor relevant, and tells us NOTHING new or even remotely interesting. Are you truly SO hard-up for news of the movie that you're reduced to turning every MENTION of Robotech, no matter how trivial, into a "new development"?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Maguire did confirm that he is developing a big-screen version of the classic Japanese anime series Robotech with Warner Bros.

That's nice... but since when has Robotech been a "classic Japanese anime series"? When last I checked, it was an ungainly hodgepodge of one well-respected classic (Macross) and two failures (Southern Cross and Mospeada) hacked together by American editors and forgotten by the vast majority of the general public mere years after its commercial failure in the late 80s.

About the only way anyone who actually knows what they're talking about could call Robotech "classic" with a straight face would be if they meant a cult classic, since it fits neither conventional definition of "classic".

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

"We're working on it," he said.[/b] Smallville scribes Alfred Gough and Miles Millar are cranking on the script, and Maguire may star, as well as produce.

Okay, if this wasn't exactly the same thing they've been saying for nearly two years now, it might be interesting.

The names involved may change, but the feeble protests of "we're working on it" and weak excuses for having nothing to show for years of "work" have been hallmarks of the Robotech franchise for over a decade now.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 5 months ago #8030

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

<YAWN!!>

Oh! Excuse me... Sorry about that...

<ANOTHER YAWN!!>

Dammit! What the hell's the matter with me?

I mean, I did have a point with this post...

OH YEAH!!!

Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 5 months ago #8034
Attachments:

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

Seto Kaiba

Are you truly SO hard-up for news of the movie that you're reduced to turning every MENTION of Robotech, no matter how trivial, into a "new development"?

TOBEY SAYING "WORKING ON IT" IS ENOUGH. ANS IT'S A LOT. PROVES TOBEY IS MUCH IN THE KNOW AND TAKING THE HOLLYWOOD APPROACH OF WE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE TIME COMES TO TELL YOU MORE.

When last I checked

YOUP. YOU. JUST REMEMBER, YOUR WORLD IS NOT EVERY ONES WORLD.

The names involved may change,

EXACTLY.

HG, WB, AND NOW TOBEY. JUST LETTING US KNOW IT'S NOT DEAD.

:laugh:
14 years 5 months ago #8037

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

TOBEY SAYING "WORKING ON IT" IS ENOUGH. ANS IT'S A LOT. PROVES TOBEY IS MUCH IN THE KNOW AND TAKING THE HOLLYWOOD APPROACH OF WE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE TIME COMES TO TELL YOU MORE.

That's just about as reassuring as a police officer saying "The investigation is ongoing..." in reference to a cold, dead case... It just doesn't work.

Nope, just the real world. The one where facts and logic prevail.

You hear that beeping thing, MEMO? That's the sound of a life support device or two keeping a comatose thing alive... barely.
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 5 months ago #8039

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

TOBEY SAYING "WORKING ON IT" IS ENOUGH.

For you, maybe... but we've all seen how your blind faith in Harmony Gold compels you to believe any damn thing you THINK they said... regardless of whether or not they ever actually said it.

If the steady trickle of inquiries on RT.com and elsewhere is any indication, the fans are getting sick of being told "we're working on it, it'll be done when it's done", both on Shadow Rising and the live-action movie, and the incessant stream of trivialities you and Maverick inflate into front-page news while making extravagant, ridiculous proclamations and predictions. The fans demonstrably want proof, not the same empty platitudes Harmony Gold has used for decades. They want proof that Robotech isn't about to enter another 20 year period of "We'll have it for you whenever"... and after the last time, can you really blame them?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

PROVES TOBEY IS MUCH IN THE KNOW AND TAKING THE HOLLYWOOD APPROACH OF WE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE TIME COMES TO TELL YOU MORE.

Good grief MEMO... this statement of yours is double, nay, TRIPLE facepalm material. Normally I have to turn on C-SPAN to see shit this stupid.

Obvious Man to the rescue...

Tobey Maguire is the movie's producer! Of course he's "in the know"... he's one of the ones calling the shots.

Also, saying that they're "taking the Hollywood approach" is an entirely specious assertion on your part. The movie doesn't even have a script yet, and there is NO guarantee that it will see release IN ANY FORM. You have no proof that the producers are taking ANY approach with the movie as of yet. For all we know, the movie may end up in limbo, being shelved with Warner sitting on the license until it expires, or Warner may decide it's not worth a high-budget feature film and downgrade it to a direct-to-DVD movie... it's happened before. There are no guarantees at this stage.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I would extend the same suggestion to you. You're a man in desperate need of a reality check. I suggest you consult a few of the bigger anime message boards and such around the net and see for yourself the low esteem Robotech is held in. It's no exaggeration to say that on many of those sites, particular ones devoted to mecha shows, the mention of Robotech is considered functionally equivalent to trolling, and the show is regarded as unwatchable crap by most.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

In the context of the other news articles posted about it over the last two years or so, you could also say that by all accounts no significant progress has been made towards getting the movie into production.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 5 months ago #8040

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

AS ALWAYS.

PEOPLE IN THE KNOW WILL SAY WHAT THEY WISH TO SAY.

FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW, WISH IT WAS JUST A DREAM.
ITS COOL SETO. I CAN WAIT. JUST WATCHING YOU CRINGE AT EVERY ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SCALE OF RISE OF ROBOTECH AND YOU CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT IS... GIVING ME ALL SMILES.

BECAUSE EVERY POST OUT THERE, EVERY CLAIM YOU MADE, I WILL ALWAYS SAY.."YUP, REMEMBER WHEN SETO SAID THIS AND THAT?"
:)
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 5 months ago #8045

Replied by Aladdin-Sane on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:TOBEY SAYING "WORKING ON IT" IS ENOUGH.

You know who else said they were "working on" a project? The dudes at 3DRealms regarding Duke Nukem Forever. During it's eleven-year development hell. "Saying they were working on it" didn't amount to a hell of a lot there.
14 years 5 months ago #8060

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Tobey Maguire and RT:LAM Update for Nov 23rd, 2009

I'll believe it the day I see it
till then, it's dead in the water to me :|

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 5 months ago #8061

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

PEOPLE IN THE KNOW WILL SAY WHAT THEY WISH TO SAY.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean what they say is true or in any way accurate. Aladdin Sane provided perhaps the best example of this in recent memory... the video game Duke Nukem Forever. After 11 YEARS of saying "We're working on it!" and "It'll be out soon!" the game finally got canceled.

Just saying that they're "cranking on it" doesn't mean a damn thing, MEMO.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW, WISH IT WAS JUST A DREAM.

For quite a few fans (especially that yoshii fellow), the Robotech live-action movie is more like a nightmare, a chance for the terminally inept writers and directors in Hollywood to shit all over their favorite series.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ITS COOL SETO. I CAN WAIT.

Yes, you've proven your blind devotion to Robotech is such that you can justify any wait to yourself... after all, you stuck with the franchise during the 20 year period when it was producing essentially nothing of value.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

JUST WATCHING YOU CRINGE AT EVERY ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SCALE OF RISE OF ROBOTECH AND YOU CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT IS... GIVING ME ALL SMILES.

God damn... I thought you were just extremely gullible. I think I may have misjudged you... you've got a full-blown delusional disorder going on there.

Reality check time, MEMO. I've never "cringed" at any of the announcements about Robotech. I've laughed a fair bit, felt bad for the gullible folks like you who're being set up for another disappointment, and occasionally been annoyed by obvious bullshit, but I've never felt any kind of fear that Robotech would make some kind of meteoric rise to popularity... because it's never going to happen.

Even if the live-action movie does get made, it'll be too-little too-late. At best, it'll be condemned by the general audiences as a cheap Transformers knockoff. At worst, it'll never see release. It certainly will never attain any kind of respect from the anime community, simply by the fact of its origins... that much you can put money on.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

BECAUSE EVERY POST OUT THERE, EVERY CLAIM YOU MADE, I WILL ALWAYS SAY.."YUP, REMEMBER WHEN SETO SAID THIS AND THAT?"

And at the current pace, the response will probably be "Yep, and you remember how right he was?".
14 years 5 months ago #8069

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds