Random daily chit-chat

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Random daily chit-chat

It takes a while and is extremely long-winded with 30-odd characters and 12 simultaneous plotlines at any one given moment, but eventually it gets good
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 9 months ago #22979

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Random daily chit-chat

Alpha Bravo wrote: It takes a while and is extremely long-winded with 30-odd characters and 12 simultaneous plotlines at any one given moment, but eventually it gets good

Yeah I know what you mean lol. Already on the 6th episode and liking it so far. This show doesn't fook around with the violence or the nudity. And King Robert is hilarious, definitely the Negan of this series.

Also the little feathered brat kept talking and mumbling the whole time, and eventually started laughing, like literally laughing, I was in tears it was so hilarious. What a way to start off Sunday.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
7 years 9 months ago #22981

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Taking a break from GOT to work on stuff and thangs.

And this song is pure eargasm!

That guitar <3

7 years 9 months ago #22988

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Random daily chit-chat

Why not keep the avatar you're using now?

Despite being fantasy-fan, I never watched Game of Thrones. Not gooing to either. Never watched 'Titanic' because' I know one of the two will die in the end. Sure not going to watch series where every one can die any time, like 'GoT' and TWD'.

One or two people dying over the course of the series I can live with. One or two persons an episode? Not my cup of tea!
7 years 9 months ago #22991

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote: Why not keep the avatar you're using now?

Despite being fantasy-fan, I never watched Game of Thrones. Not gooing to either. Never watched 'Titanic' because' I know one of the two will die in the end. Sure not going to watch series where every one can die any time, like 'GoT' and TWD'.

One or two people dying over the course of the series I can live with. One or two persons an episode? Not my cup of tea!

Because I get easily bored with an avatar after using it for a while.

And also I see where you're coming from regarding violent series like GOT and TWD. But there's a reason they're the two biggest shows on the air right now. People love the characters, and yes our favorites die and it sucks, but that's the price you pay if you want a good story. The deaths aren't pointless and all serve some kind of purpose as far as story telling goes.

Some deaths make surviving characters stronger or some weaker, depending on how you look at it. In season 1 of the TWD there is a lot of supporting character deaths aka semi-red shirts as I call them. It isn't till Season 2 where some main characters start to die. Many are safe though because of plot armor, like Rick Grimes obviously.

Season 3 was a lot of death because the showrunner at the time was trigger happy. The current showrunner has definitely toned things down as far as killing off main characters but still lots of red shirt deaths. So I wouldn't knock the series til you try it tbh.
and of course there's going to be lots of deaths because their world is infested with the undead. But I will say that the zombie killings are most entertaining.

I can't say much for GOT yet because I'm still on the first season.

7 years 9 months ago #22992

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Is it possible to have a hangover from chocolate? Holy shiz that cake was rich. I had one sip of a margarita last night too. So it's definitely the cake.

7 years 9 months ago #23007

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Random daily chit-chat

"When one man dies it's a tragedy. When thousands die it's statistics."
This line is often atrributed to Stalin (but no evidence he actually said it - it is possible a historian put these words in his mouth because we al want to believe he said things like that)

If one or two people die in a story, the effect tends to be bigger than when a lot of people die. When lots of people die, you get jaded. "Oh, there goes another one".

Remember 'Age of Apocalypse' reaching the stores. Did not even buy it: so many characters died, I could not believe the war had lasted for an entire decade - everyone should already have been dead. And I was just fourteen at the time.

For similar reasons I did not became fan of Image comics. Unfortunately, during the nineties, Marvel thought it had to keep op with the new competitor and ever since then, more characters kept being killed of. After 'AoA', all X-men villains became humans who wanted to kill all humand or mutants who wanted to kill all humans or mutants who wanted to kill humans and mutants.

The year 2014 saw the return of the Cold War in the spring, the rise of Islamic State (who nearly genocided the Yezidi) in the summer.
That fall, I noticed how many Dr. Who-villains killed for killing's sake. And that most killings in that series were presented as comic relief.
And I started to enjoy the series less.

People dying more often and more violently in action anime is waht prevents me from becoming an anime-fan. Recently 'Akira' was shown on tv. Second time I saw it, first time was as an university freshman. Granted, Akira seems to be extremely violent even for anime. But I did not feel emotionally touched, because too many people died at to many occasions. Just statistics.
(the one exception was near the end, when Matsua accidentally kills his girlfriend. She had nothing to do with any violence at all, she just tried to be there for him,, but she got killed anyway)

The deaths of Roy and Ben were tragic, because one person died at a time.
Seven characters going at once in #36 was just ridiculous.

I was one of those kids who cried because of the deaths in Transformers: The Movie". From one moment to the other, I lost my interest in Transformers. I became a fan again in my early twenties, when I found some priced-off dvd's in a store. I felt vindicated when I discovered that most kids in the eighties stopped watching it after The Movie.
It is why I believe that #36 made primary schoolers losing interest in Robotech as well.

So I don't buy this 'People dying makes a series more interesting'-crap.
What I hate in real life, I do not enjoy in fiction.
7 years 9 months ago #23011

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote: "When one man dies it's a tragedy. When thousands die it's statistics."
This line is often atrributed to Stalin (but no evidence he actually said it - it is possible a historian put these words in his mouth because we al want to believe he said things like that)

If one or two people die in a story, the effect tends to be bigger than when a lot of people die. When lots of people die, you get jaded. "Oh, there goes another one".

Remember 'Age of Apocalypse' reaching the stores. Did not even buy it: so many characters died, I could not believe the war had lasted for an entire decade - everyone should already have been dead. And I was just fourteen at the time.

For similar reasons I did not became fan of Image comics. Unfortunately, during the nineties, Marvel thought it had to keep op with the new competitor and ever since then, more characters kept being killed of. After 'AoA', all X-men villains became humans who wanted to kill all humand or mutants who wanted to kill all humans or mutants who wanted to kill humans and mutants.

The year 2014 saw the return of the Cold War in the spring, the rise of Islamic State (who nearly genocided the Yezidi) in the summer.
That fall, I noticed how many Dr. Who-villains killed for killing's sake. And that most killings in that series were presented as comic relief.
And I started to enjoy the series less.

People dying more often and more violently in action anime is waht prevents me from becoming an anime-fan. Recently 'Akira' was shown on tv. Second time I saw it, first time was as an university freshman. Granted, Akira seems to be extremely violent even for anime. But I did not feel emotionally touched, because too many people died at to many occasions. Just statistics.
(the one exception was near the end, when Matsua accidentally kills his girlfriend. She had nothing to do with any violence at all, she just tried to be there for him,, but she got killed anyway)

The deaths of Roy and Ben were tragic, because one person died at a time.
Seven characters going at once in #36 was just ridiculous.

I was one of those kids who cried because of the deaths in Transformers: The Movie". From one moment to the other, I lost my interest in Transformers. I became a fan again in my early twenties, when I found some priced-off dvd's in a store. I felt vindicated when I discovered that most kids in the eighties stopped watching it after The Movie.
It is why I believe that #36 made primary schoolers losing interest in Robotech as well.

So I don't buy this 'People dying makes a series more interesting'-crap.
What I hate in real life, I do not enjoy in fiction.

Well it's not the deaths themselves that make a series interesting, what's interesting to me at least, is watching how the characters grow and bounce back from it instead of dwelling on the loss forever. Who wants to read or watch something like that? That's like going to group therapy and listening to someone tell the same boring depressing story over and over because they can't let go.

No one wants to do that and certainly they don't want to watch their favorite characters do that either. Spoiler alert but in TWD Rick Grimes loses his best friend and his wife. He's angry, mad at the world even, goes crazy for a while but then comes back and he's stronger then because he still has his son to protect as well as the rest of the people in his group of survivors that have become like a family to him.

So again what makes it interesting is how the characters adapt and bounce back from it. Yes death sucks and its a part of life, but so are many other things. I've lost family members, friends, and of course pets. Over time My view of death has shifted from fear to acceptance, especially with the help of therapy. I believe the term is known as "radical acceptance." What it means is you don't have to like something but you must accept that you have no control over it. Death just happens to be one of those things you can't control so just better to accept it and be happy than live in fear.

From what I understand you simply don't like seeing a lot of carnage and that's fine. People die violently in TWD as well as in GOT. Is it shock value? OFC Does it move the story along? Also yes. People like watching violence, which explains why people went to watch hangings in the old days or even gladiator fights thousands of years ago. We're curious beings and utterly fascinated with all that we fear yet we still want to see it, but from a safe distance of course. So that's where the violent entertainment comes in. We want to experience things without really experiencing them.

7 years 9 months ago #23012

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Random daily chit-chat

As an example, Roy's death allowed Rick to grow as a character, by forcing him to take command and become Skull Leader. If Roy hadn't died, Rick would have lived in his shadow forever, and become a less interesting character over time, because he would have stopped evolving.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 9 months ago #23015

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote: As an example, Roy's death allowed Rick to grow as a character, by forcing him to take command and become Skull Leader. If Roy hadn't died, Rick would have lived in his shadow forever, and become a less interesting character over time, because he would have stopped evolving.

Nailed it.

7 years 9 months ago #23021

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds