Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high concept'

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

That's the only difference...? The entire SHAPE of the thing is totally different!

I dunno, Memo... I think you're really reaching here.

FUNNY. RT FANS GET HAMMERED ABOUT ROBOTECH ROOTS. NOW A MACROSS FAN.. WORKS THE SAME. NOT TRYING TO PUSH ANYTHING ON YOU. MACROSS WAS AN INTENT TO BE A PARODY OF GUNDAM. YOU CAN SEE ELEMENTS IN IT IN MACROSS PERFECT MEMORY AND CHANGES STILL THERE AFTER. GUNDAM 1979 FANBOYS AND MACROSS CREATORS AT LEAST ALSO PAID HOMAGE TO 1974 SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO. DON'T KNOW WHEN AND WHY THE THE UMBILICAL CORD WAS CUT BUT CAN'T DISREGARD THE DNA OF GUNDAMN.

LIKE I SAID, ITS NOT "WHITE BASE" BUT FOR ME...

IT IS WHAT IT IS. :)

By that logic, Star Wars is just a rip-off of The Hidden Fortress and The Dam Busters.

And I don't think you can really make the analogy that as Macross is to Robotech, so Gundam is to Macross. Robotech, for its first 36 episodes, is pretty much a straight adaptation of Macross. Macross isn't an adaptation of Gundam. Of course Gundam provided inspiration...I never said anything different. But show turned out to be VERY different from Gundam.

And uh, still waiting for Mav to tell me what Macek added to the "unoriginal" series Macross to make it "unique and original"...
12 years 2 months ago #18127

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Gubabas images werent' too clear memo, let's say not a fair comparison. Firstly the color scheme is virtually identical between the white base and the SDF-1 also the in battleship mode both ships share a similar profile.

White Base

SDF-1

Now for the enemies;

Musai

Zentraedi Scout

Similar profile, similar color scheme.

Zeon soldier

Zentraedi soldier

Wow, I see a pattern here.

SDF Macross is indeed a good homage to Gundam! ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 2 months ago #18128

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubabas images werent' too clear memo, let's say not a fair comparison. Firstly the color scheme is virtually identical between the white base and the SDF-1 also the in battleship mode both ships share a similar profile.

SDF Macross is indeed a good homage to Gundam! ;)

Mav...

MY images? :blink:

I didn't post any images here...

Anyway, the grand Mav tradition of saying something indefensible and then then running away when asked about it continues...

Rock on, man, rock on.
12 years 2 months ago #18129

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Apologies if I'm being a bit annoying, which is what you guys are comparing, appearance or design?
12 years 2 months ago #18130

• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Sorry Gubaba, I meant' to say your description of said images

I apologise in my haste of cutting and pasting the links to the aforementioned pics to accurately communicate my thoughts.

Btw, we're comparing the design and color influences that the creative team of SDF Macross borrowed from Mobile Suit Gundam.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 2 months ago #18131

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Gubaba wrote:

By that logic, Star Wars is just a rip-off of The Hidden Fortress and The Dam Busters.

YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THAT. SW HAS IT'S OWN ROOTS AS WELL WHICH OF COURSE BEEN VASTLY DEBATED TO DEATH FROM HOMER'S ODDESY TO 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA.

Lobizon wrote:

Apologies if I'm being a bit annoying, which is what you guys are comparing, appearance or design?

ROOTS AS IN ROBOTECH HAS IT'S ROOTS AND MACROSS AS WELL. CONCEPT, DESIGN, STORY, ETC. ETC.

MaverickLSC wrote:

Btw, we're comparing the design and color influences that the creative team of SDF Macross borrowed from Mobile Suit Gundam.

Mav...

LOBIZON, MAYBE THIS WOULD EXPLAIN IN A NUTSHELL..

THE MACROSS THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN...
—by Egan Loo
www.ex.org/3.3/04-feature_macross1.html
www.ex.org/3.3/05-feature_macross2.html

"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 2 months ago #18132

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THAT. SW HAS IT'S OWN ROOTS AS WELL WHICH OF COURSE BEEN VASTLY DEBATED TO DEATH FROM HOMER'S ODDESY TO 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA.

And you're saying Macross doesn't...? If so, what you're saying is as reductive as "Star Wars is an amalgam of The Hidden Fortress and The Dam Busters."

So, no...I don't know better than that. Do you?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

LOBIZON, MAYBE THIS WOULD EXPLAIN IN A NUTSHELL..

THE MACROSS THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN...
—by Egan Loo
www.ex.org/3.3/04-feature_macross1.html
www.ex.org/3.3/05-feature_macross2.html

Quick question: did this design make it into the final show? If not, why are you saying that the final version of the SDF-1 resembles White Base?

Again, a lot of the early Star Wars designs didn't look very good. But that was changed by the time the movie came out.

Leave the evolutionary designs to the fanatics...most viewers will never see them.
12 years 2 months ago #18134

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

And it still saddens me that Maverick LSC can come up with no examples of how Carl made the "unoriginal" shows "unique and original."

I guess he's not a REAL Robotech fan. :laugh:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gubaba.
12 years 2 months ago #18135

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

CASE IN POINT:

www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2140695&forumid=31

Maverick_LSC:
Best course of action...

is to leave such decisions to the creative team which includes the director.

The director has a vision for the project, if someone else besides those mentioned fits the bill better.

Then let it be.

I know myself that I wouldnt' necessarily let the fans dictate the project with decisions such as this one if I were in charge of directing Robotech: LLA.

A director wants to best fulfill his vision of what he percieves of Robotech in the script that he/she is given.

This can cause clashes that may or may not agree to your vision of Robotech.

There's no harm in referring someone who you think may best fit this role. I'm sure Harmony Gold will decide the best course of action to fill this role that meets the best interest to the story.

Mav...

Does this not apply to the directors of the original three series...? If not, why not?
12 years 2 months ago #18138

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Obviously, I'm not expecting an answer from Mav, since he runs away with his tail between his legs when asked simple questions about explaining what he means... But for the rest of you out there, "If not, why not?"
12 years 2 months ago #18139

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds