Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high concept'

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Gubaba wrote:

And you're saying Macross doesn't...? If so, what you're saying is as reductive as "Star Wars is an amalgam of The Hidden Fortress and The Dam Busters."

So, no...I don't know better than that. Do you?

NOPE. I AGREE THAT MACROSS DOES. :)

Quick question: did this design make it into the final show? If not, why are you saying that the final version of the SDF-1 resembles White Base?

NOPE AND ALREADY SAID IT'S NOT WHITE BASE.
EVEN IN IT'S FINAL DESIGN OF THE CITY FORTRESS THERE STILL A DERIVATIVE OF THE ORIGINAL. DO YOU NOT AGREE?

Leave the evolutionary designs to the fanatics...most viewers will never see them.

WHICH BRINGS YOU TO THIS DEBATE. ;)
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 2 months ago #18142

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubabas images werent' too clear memo, let's say not a fair comparison. Firstly the color scheme is virtually identical between the white base and the SDF-1 also the in battleship mode both ships share a similar profile.

White Base

SDF-1

Now for the enemies;

Musai

Zentraedi Scout

Similar profile, similar color scheme.

Zeon soldier

Zentraedi soldier

Wow, I see a pattern here.

SDF Macross is indeed a good homage to Gundam! ;)

Mav...

Wow, it's pretty unbelievable how far you're stretching your imagination here but not unexpected. White base looks NOTHING like the SDF-1 and where's the yellow on the SDF-1? Next, since the Musai and Zentraedi scout are green and somewhat elongated, does that mean they're derived from string beans too? And the flight suits are totally different in design as one is cloth and one is armor. So, just like your LAM speculations it appears that your pattern identification still needs work.
12 years 2 months ago #18145

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

And you're saying Macross doesn't...? If so, what you're saying is as reductive as "Star Wars is an amalgam of The Hidden Fortress and The Dam Busters."

So, no...I don't know better than that. Do you?

NOPE. I AGREE THAT MACROSS DOES. :)

Quick question: did this design make it into the final show? If not, why are you saying that the final version of the SDF-1 resembles White Base?

NOPE AND ALREADY SAID IT'S NOT WHITE BASE.
EVEN IN IT'S FINAL DESIGN OF THE CITY FORTRESS THERE STILL A DERIVATIVE OF THE ORIGINAL. DO YOU NOT AGREE?

So wait...you're saying, if I understand you right, that the unused design for the SDF-1 is derivative of White Base, and the final design is derivative of the early design...?

If so, then yes...but the final design, pace Mav's silly post, looks nothing like the White Base, yes?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Leave the evolutionary designs to the fanatics...most viewers will never see them.

WHICH BRINGS YOU TO THIS DEBATE. ;)

Well...yeah... "Mama Weer All Crazee Now," but most people aren't. If you have to look at unused designs to find a resemblance, then, for the majority of fans, no resemblance exists, right?
12 years 2 months ago #18154

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Gubaba wrote:

And it still saddens me that Maverick LSC can come up with no examples of how Carl made the "unoriginal" shows "unique and original."

I guess he's not a REAL Robotech fan. :laugh:

Alas, I was waiting for Mav's examples as well... I wonder what is his excuse this time :unsure:
12 years 2 months ago #18155

• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

ps99041 wrote;

Wow, it's pretty unbelievable how far you're stretching your imagination here but not unexpected. White base looks NOTHING like the SDF-1 and where's the yellow on the SDF-1?

You've failed to see the resemblance, oh well. Memo and I do and remember this?

Look at the picture above, there's yellow on the base of the legs.

White Base = colors White, Blue, Black, Yellow, Red
SDF Macross = colors White, Blue, Black, Yellow, Red

All of the Zentraedi warship classes and the Zeon warship classes have green(abiet a subtle difference shade of green to prevent the obvious sign of plagiaristic intent by the macross creators.

Rotate the Zentraedi Scout ship upside down and the profile is eeriely similar to the Musai class warship.

Most Zentraedi and Zeon space combat troop use green camouflage even though green is useless for stealth in space.

Look below and notice that the Zeon insignia shares the same yellow and black military insignias like that of the Zentraedi insignia. Obviously the creators of Macross had to change the profile again to prevent from looking like blatant copying. For the Zeon military it makes sense as most human militaries still use the yellow and black for badges as they were traditional been used for centuries.

But why do aliens like the Zentraedi have a need to mimic earth's military insignia styling if their culture precede the human culture by hundreds of thousands of years?

Zeon;

Zentraedi;

I'll tell you why, because Shoji Kawamori and his co-creators were rampant in their attempt in mimicking the success of Mobile Suit Gundam in any way possible which included blatant copying of the feel and styling of Gundam, almost to nearly the point of plagiarism.

And you say Robotech is a knockoff! ;)

EVERYTHING is a knockoff, adapted, inspired from something from the past. It's the combination and ingredients of how the different concepts combined that make it truly original.

And if Macross used Gundam as inspiration then why be so offended by that.

Gundam itself was inspired by the technology of Star Wars and the events of World War II.

So live with it, I sure did! B)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by MaverickLSC.
12 years 2 months ago #18157

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Gubaba wrote:

Again, a lot of the early Star Wars designs didn't look very good. But that was changed by the time the movie came out.

I SAID IT BEFORE. SDF1 IS NOT WHITE BASE. I BELIEVE ITS A DERIVATIVE.

GUBABA. YOU BEEN ASKING US THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER. I ASK YOU NOW, DO YOU BELIEVE IT'S A DERIVATIVE? YES OR NO. DONT WORRY WHAT THE CREATORS OF MACROSS WERE OR PEOPLE LIKE EGAN LOO HAVE PUT OUT AND SAID.

JUST YOUR OWN OPINION IS COOL ENOUGH.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 2 months ago #18159

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Again, a lot of the early Star Wars designs didn't look very good. But that was changed by the time the movie came out.

I SAID IT BEFORE. SDF1 IS NOT WHITE BASE. I BELIEVE ITS A DERIVATIVE.

GUBABA. YOU BEEN ASKING US THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER. I ASK YOU NOW, DO YOU BELIEVE IT'S A DERIVATIVE? YES OR NO. DONT WORRY WHAT THE CREATORS OF MACROSS WERE OR PEOPLE LIKE EGAN LOO HAVE PUT OUT AND SAID.

JUST YOUR OWN OPINION IS COOL ENOUGH.

No, I don't. I don't think it looks similar, and I don't think it's used similarly in the show.
12 years 2 months ago #18161

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

So now we're at the point that NOTHING (except Robotech) is unique and original which is fine with me. Yet Mav STILL hasn't explained why Robotech is the exception.
12 years 2 months ago #18163

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Thank goodness that Robotech's narrow minded supporters can correct us more broad minded thinkers. Yes Robotech is original in the fact that it takes someone elses work, warps it. Then fails because it can't take off on its own due to lack of originality.

There are no similarities between Macross and Gundam. Get off that doneky ride already! There is nothing original about rewritting and rebranding someone elses work. Would you take someone elses painting hang it upside down, sign your name and call it your own original work? You'd be stupid too... because someone will recognize the work and know its not yours.

I'm not trying to bash Robotech, but you two (mav, memo) need to get off your horse.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
12 years 2 months ago #18165

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

There are no similarities between Macross and Gundam.

Now that's not true...there ARE similarities. Both have giant robots. Both have outer space. Both have earth. Both use primary colors, as well as green and sometimes even purple.

But yeah...I mentioned a bunch of things that I thought were original about Macross, and neither Memo nor Mav have been able to rebut them. Doesn't that say all that needs to be said?

MaverickLSC wrote:

I'll tell you why, because Shoji Kawamori and his co-creators were rampant in their attempt in mimicking the success of Mobile Suit Gundam in any way possible which included blatant copying of the feel and styling of Gundam, almost to nearly the point of plagiarism.

"The feel"...? Um...you haven't watched the original Gundam, have you?

MaverickLSC wrote:

And you say Robotech is a knockoff! ;)

Okay...look at it this way. How much animation from Gundam do the 36 episodes of Macross use? And then, how much animation from Macross do the first 36 episodes of Robotech use?

But hey, you said everything is a knock-off. You also said that Carl Macek made Robotech "unique and original."

How do you reconcile this seeming contradiction?
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gubaba.
12 years 2 months ago #18166

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds