Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high concept'

• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high concept' was created by MaverickLSC

Hello everyone,

TrekWeb.com has an exclusive interview with Chase Masterson;

trekweb.com/articles/2012/01/18/Exclusiv...tion-Movie-RUR.shtml

In the interview, you can find out what she's being doing lately with the R.U.R. The interview mentions Robotech as 'high concept' science fiction.

I'm throwing this question out to the fans. What do you feel makes Robotech considered as a 'high concept' science fiction?

I keep hearing this term being used for discribing Robotech, for myself Robotech covers many interesting subject matters used in many classic science fiction novels similar to the stories and settings found within the Robotech universe.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 2 months ago #18048

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

WELL, CARL MACEK DID USE SOME FROM FRANK HURBERT DUNE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 2 months ago #18054

• mecha2241
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by mecha2241 on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Err, wha? Have you ever even read Dune?
12 years 2 months ago #18055

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Yeah I can see small bits of Dune thrown in. Its obvious that Robotech was not a Dune rip off or anything. But I do see how Dune may have inspired certain things.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
12 years 2 months ago #18056

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

What makes Robotech 'High Concept' is that it was directly derived from Macross.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
12 years 2 months ago #18057

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

SIGHUP wrote:

What makes Robotech 'High Concept' is that it was directly derived from Macross.

PSST.. SIGH.. UMM... IT WAS ALSO DERIVED FROM CROSS AND MOSPEADA.

mecha2241 wrote:

Err, wha? Have you ever even read Dune?

YES. GREAT BOOKS AND I DONT MEAN JUST THE FIRST 3. READ THEM WHEN I WAS IN JR.HIGH. BACK WHEN THERE WERE NO INTERNET AND GAME CONSOLES. THERE WAS CLONING IN THE BOOKS TOO. ANYONE THINK OF A RELATION TO A CHARACTER IN DUNE AND TO SOMEONE WHO WAS CLONED ALL THE TIME IN ROBOTECH?

I FORGOT WHAT ART BOOK DID CARL MENTION WHAT INSPIRATION HE ALSO GOT. BUT IT WAS DUNE AND OTHERS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 2 months ago #18058

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I FORGOT WHAT ART BOOK DID CARL MENTION WHAT INSPIRATION HE ALSO GOT. BUT IT WAS DUNE AND OTHERS.

Carl Macek only wrote Artbook 3 ;)
He had a little afterword for the Art of Shadow Chronicles
12 years 2 months ago #18062

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

SIGHUP wrote:

I have to agree, as well with Memo. The original series that made up RT would beconsidered High Concept. RT as its based on the original three series is really cutting and pasting, as high concept means as near original idea as possible. So no RT of the org. 85 is not high concept. If the Sentinels branched out as they shouldve, then maybe.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
12 years 2 months ago #18064

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

MaverickLSC wrote:

I'm throwing this question out to the fans. What do you feel makes Robotech considered as a 'high concept' science fiction?

Giant battleships that turn into robots, planes that turn into robots, pop singers saving mankind, all framed around a love story...what's not "high concept" about that?
12 years 2 months ago #18067

• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Chase Masterson interview on TrekWeb.com-Robotech referred to as 'high conce

Gubaba wrote;

Giant battleships that turn into robots, planes that turn into robots, pop singers saving mankind, all framed around a love story...what's not "high concept" about that?

Actually rhade and JRG Jupiter Div have the definition spot on, you can actually read about it on this thread here;

www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2140221&forumid=8

SIGHUP wrote;

While SDF Macross in itself is considered 'High Concept', so are the other two series in their original form. However, Robotech too is considered 'High Concept' because Robotechs story differs greatly from SDF Macross in one key element.

That is the nature and definition of 'Protoculture' which is vastly different between these two series.

When I think of SDF Macross, I think of 'Inherit the Stars' written by James P. Hogan because the nature of humanity having its roots come from elsewhere besides the earth sound eriely familiar to the Protoculture which created both the Supervision Army and the Zentraedi as well as seeding the earth with the sub-protoculture humanity.

When I think of Robotech, I agree with Memos premise that it's similar to Frank Herberts 'Dune' because the story element of 'Spice' which is a valuable resource and commodity wanted by many advanced civilizations, but is only found on the desert planet of Dune is also familiar to Robotechs story element of the nature 'Protoculture'. Which too is a valuable resource and commodity that by the time we reach established timeline in 'New Generation', the earth is the only planet left which has this resource that is wanted by many advanced civilizations.

Both Robotech and SDF Macross are 'High Concept'. But in what degree, they are both vastly different to one another.

It's why I see both shows as being completely different to one another on so many levels.

Humanity and Zentraedis ancestors versus rare but powerful energy source, completely different.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 2 months ago #18071

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds