The ProtocultureTimes Podcast

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:CHARACTER CLASH TOURNAMENT UPDATE!

Gotta go with Breetai =D
hope he wins

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 9 months ago #12962
The topic has been locked.
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic CHARACTER CLASH TOURNAMENT - THE FINAL MATCH!

Hello everyone!

On June 15th....64 Robotech characters stood up for a chance to make history in this 25th Anniversary!

Now the FINAL 2 are left standing..........

First, my gratitude to ALL OF YOU.......the voters......the people who have become part of this party that I have been having for the last 10 months.....you turned it from one fan's celebration...into a WORLDWIDE HAPPENING! More than anyone...EVEN THE CHARACTERS...it is all of you who deserve the applause! BRAVO!!!!

Now the two characters that through your votes have made it to this finale are as classic as they come...either is deserving of the title of champion!

But since the beginning of this tournament......IN THE END, THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

After 5 rounds of intense matchups....surprises and the voting of the greatest listeners in the world.....................

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...HERE IS YOUR ROBOTECH 25TH ANNIVERSARY CHARACTER CLASH TOURNAMENT FINAL MATCH!
MAXIMILLIAN STERLING
SAGAS: MACROSS/SENTINELS
EYES: BLUE
HAIR: BLUE
CLAIMS TO FAME: GREATEST VERITECH ACE OF ROBOTECH, BESTED ZENTRAEDI ACE MIRIYA PARINO WHO LATER BECAME HIS WIFE, FATHER OF DANA AND AURORA STERLING, SKULL SQUADRON LEADER (SENTINELS)

VS.
[/size]
ROY FOKKER
SAGA: MACROSS
EYES: BLUE
HAIR: BLOND
CLAIMS TO FAME: GLOBAL CIVIL WAR VETERAN, TEST PILOT FOR VERITECH FIGHTERS, BEST FRIEND AND "BIG BROTHER" TO RICK HUNTER, BOYFRIEND OF CLAUDIA GRANT, ORIGINAL SKULL LEADER AND PILOT OF SKULL ONE. DIES AS A RESULT OF WOUNDS SUFFERED IN COMBAT
Skull Leader or..........Skull Leader??????????

Team Max or Team Roy? (sorry Twilight Fans)

Who will YOUR votes crown as THE ONE![/b]

It's YOUR tournament to decide.....you have until July 30, 2010 11:59 PM PST!!
[/size]

And for this final round.......the balloting will be TOP SECRET! I will provide one or two updates in the middle of the week. But then the CHAMPION will be announced on Episode 25 of The Protoculture Times this July 31, 2010!

The Tournament is coming to the "End of the Circle"...so many moments......surprises and even heartbreak for some...but it truly has been a ROBOTECH CELEBRATION!
[/i]
And you know why..........
IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REVIVE FOR 25!...'CAUSE IT ONLY HAPPENS ONCE!!
[/size]

HAPPY VOTING AND LET'S CROWN A CHAMPION!

- John
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Zen72.
13 years 9 months ago #12982
  • SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: CHARACTER CLASH TOURNAMENT - THE FINAL MATCH!

Hey buddy,

I actually discovered that I have a podcast aggregator on my phone and I added yours so I could listen. But I gotta tell ya, its NOT the podcast to listen if you want to chillout right before bed.

Why? Well because you were practically screaming your little lungs out in the cast. Scared the crap outta me man. I understand its supposed to be energetic and all, but perhaps toning it down just a notch?

On that note, buenas notches.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 9 months ago #13100
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic THE ROBOTECH CHARACTER CLASH TOURNAMENT...

...has officially ended!
File Attachment:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From 64 characters, we came down to 2 in a memorable FINAL MATCH! The votes have been tallied....the percentages calculated.....

And we have a CHAMPION!!!!

File Attachment:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Which Skull Leader prevailed?......TEAM MAX OR TEAM ROY?

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE EPISODE AND FIND OUT WHO?
[/url]

I want to thank everyone who participated in this to truly make it just another big part of the 25th Anniversary celebration of Robotech on the Protoculture Times.

Just like with the SDF-25 Mecha Tournament....a little sad to see this Tournament end. It saw a lot of classic matchups and some good times!

What's next from here?......YES....that elusive Episode 25 is coming soon!.....and the wheels are always turning......still some more celebrating to do.....

IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!

REVIVE FOR 25....'CAUSE IT ONLY HAPPENS ONCE!

Seeya soon!

-JT
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

13 years 9 months ago #13149
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic The Protoculture Times: One More Round

Why hello there!

It's been awhile....but the journey continues...at least for one more round!

I'm gearing up for what will be a memorable show!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

An AWESOME way to finish an AWESOME year of celebration!

And about the pics....more details to come! ;)

IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!
[/i][/b][/size]

- JT
13 years 4 months ago #14211
  • SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: The Protoculture Times: One More Round

About time. I just won't listen to your show before I doze off due to your wonderful enthusiasm. I'll listen on the drive-to-from work.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 4 months ago #14219
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES: ONE MORE ROUND

PERSONAL NOTE: Sorry for the LONG post but I wanted to let you know exactly what you were getting with this episode. I ALSO wanted to personally thank David Peña aka SIGHUP for all the support he's given the Protoculture Times from the start here on RobotechX. You're one helluva a webmaster and thank you always for the plugs you've given the show on the site!

Happy New Year to all and Happy Listening!

-JT

Hi there all!

After almost 4 months of hiatus..............THE KID IS BACK!

www.protoculturetimes.com

One of the things I have realized from this journey is that I gained an extended family of sorts and it was heartwarming to know.

Being that this is going to be a MEGA MEGA SHOW of OVER 5 HOURS CONTENT...and one helluva MP3 file if I put it as one part, I had to segment it into FOUR PARTS. I know I'll still catch flack for the size of each file....but what can you do? LOL!

So here is our official Protoculture Times ONE MORE ROUND 25th Anniversary Editon lineup;

PART I

A few words about my hiatus and what the journey has been like and my "Little Guy"

We also have the return of our signature segment; THE ROBOTECH FILES and this one has been a long time coming because on this occasion we take a look at the history of that one big WHAT IF? of the Robotech franchise and something that holds a special place in this celebration.

ROBOTECH II: THE SENTINELS
[/size]
So much hope and promise was put into this sequel of the Original 85. Everything was in place to take this series to the stars and beyond......and then it all fell through the cracks......

We'll take a look at its history and the plans behind it as told in the words by a NEVER FORGOTTEN FRIEND We'll also talk about what brought about its ultimate demise as an animated series.

But this is Robotech and you just can't keep it down because over the years the Sentinels made it's presence known through a variety of mediums that kept the fires aflame and ultimately providing us with a conclusion to the adventures of the characters we have come to know and love. But even though there was an end.....it turned out to be the beginning once again for the Robotech Story.

And from there.......did I mention that this was going to be a ROBOTECH STAR STUDDED EVENT?????

That's right guys and girls because we have PROTOCULTURE TIMES INTERVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First up, a blast from the past, my interview earlier this year with the voice of Captain Gloval himself, GREG FINLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.gregfinley.com/ - Greg's Site
[/size]

It's a replay from a past episode, but Greg was so gracious with his time and provided the show with one of its MOST MEMORABLE MOMENTS, I could and would NOT leave him out of this MEGA SHOW because he definitely deserves to be here.

PART II

Another old segment makes its return......OFF THE SCIFI SHELF!

On this edition we take a quick look at a show that in some ways its history is very similar to that of Robotech's but has taken a direction that many fans hope will be the eventual route of Robotech.
VOLTRON: DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE

[/b] [/size]
Multiple series, a possible live action movie and a new BRAND NEW animated series coming out in 2011. Voltron is definitely making its moves to remain in the minds and hearts of its fans....(me being one of them.)

From there, speaking of links.....do you know all the things you can find when you GOOGLE the word ROBOTECH???? In ROBOTECH WEB GEMS we visit some great sites done by fans to keep the franchise alive and kicking.....PLUS when "Robotech" sites that ARE NOT "Robotech sites"

Check out the full list (SO FAR) over at the blog site!

I'm more than sure that there are more out there, if you want me to link them here on the blog just comment or email me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., it would be my pleasure!

Now did I mention we have ROBOTECH CELEBRITIES ON BOARD?????

In our second Protoculture Times interview it is my pleasure to bring you the voice of probably Robotech's most known character, Lynn Minmei. Her name is Rebecca Forstadt Orlowski but Robotech fans will always remember her as REBA WEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.rebeccaforstadt.com/ - Rebecca's Voice Actor Site
rebeccaolkowski.com/ - Rebeccas's Business Site
[/size]

Rebecca is such a SWEETHEART and we had a great time talking. She talks about her career, her advice to those looking to get into acting and her time in Robotech along with some great memories of Carl. And she's not only an actress but also a business entrepreneur as you'll see!

PART III

A moment of remembrance for our departed friend, Carl Macek.
Carl Macek 1951-2010
If there was anyone that would've wanted the celebration to continue it would've have been Carl. No matter what happens to franchise going forward, no one can ever take away what you gave to a fandom and how it impacted so many lives. I miss you my friend and you will truly be, THE LIGHT THAT NEVER DIES...
To understand death
Of it to make sense
I dare not to try
It's a task too immense

To ask that one word why?
The ancients have not a clue
Maybe there is no right answer
Perhaps this is true

The sadness that arises
From those that we lose
It is something we can't debate
It is something we can't choose

Perhaps the best solution of all
In this moment that we mourn
That in death it is not en ending
In it something else is born

The Day births the clear
The Night births the dark
Every life births its moments
Every moment makes its mark

To celebrate a life
Even at its end
Pays tribute to that soul
Puts our hearts on the mend

The sadness births the joy
And from the tears that we weep
Sprouts the memories that we will treasure
Of the love that we will keep

Carl, life took you too soon
It stole you from our sight
But to your family and to many others
You will still be our light

It's a light with no limit
vast as the clearest skies
For now and forever
It is The Light That Never Dies.....

And the celebration did continue....we talk about some of the fun happenings in 2010 where fans and Robotech celebrities alike got together to make for some memorable moments that will live beyond the 25th Anniversary!
www.michaelbradleymusic.com/fr_chile.cfm -Robotech Celebration in Santiago Chile W/Michael Bradley
www.michaelbradleymusic.com/fr_argentina.cfm - Robotech Celebration in Buenos Aires, Argentia W/ Michael Bradley
www.michaelbradleymusic.com/fr_paraguay.cfm - Robotech Celebration in Asuncion, Paraguay W/Michael Bradley
www.rt25celebration.com/ A gathering of Voice Actors, Production team and Robotech fans. RT25: THE CELEBRATION Offical Site.
scarlet-rhapsody.com/traveling/rt25/ - Pics from RT25
sdf25tournament.blogspot.com/ - SDF-25 Mecha Tournament
robotech-character-clash.blogspot.com/ - The Robotech 25th Anniversary Character Clash Tournament

Now I keep forgetting.....I did mention we have ROBOTECH CELEBRITY GUESTS???

Another Protoculture Times interview with a RETURNING guest and this guy certainly made the rounds internationally delighting Robotech Fans, Yellow Dancer himself, MICHAEL BRADLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/size]

Fresh off his South American "Lonely Soldier Boy Tour", Michael is back with us to tell us about the receptions he got in Chile, Argentina and Paraguay where fans rocked the night away with Robotech tunes! Also some interesting fan experiences EVEN a reenactment of a New Generation episode at one of those concerts! He also shares a very special story about Carl along with what he is currently up to with his band GHOST IN THE MACHINE.

PLUS, would he be up for a Robotech 30th Anniversary Concert Tour??????? He lets us know!

PART IV

We just keep trucking along!

So where does Robotech go from here after the 25th Anniversary? I share a few "RANDOM THOUGHTS" Also, for posterity I have put up one final poll question;

Will we see any significant improvement for the Robotech franchise for the next five years?
Tell a friend, get your vote out and the poll question will stay open here for voting for the foreseeable future.

And now comes David Peña's aka SIGHUP'S ALL TIME FAVORITE SEGMENT! :woohoo:

THE SHOUTOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I wanted to save it for the final part as the list is VERY LONG AND VERY DISTINGUISHED of people to thank!!!!!!!!!!

A special thank you to the people over at www.digitaljuice.com for all the background and transitional music I've used in this last year (PROVIDING I bought it for them! LOL!) If you are in the audio or video editing business definitely check them out and thank you to the great customer service I have received from them and for being a big part of the journey!

And finally.................................

Ladies and Gentleman, this journey exceeded ANY expectation that I could have had for it. It has been dreams fulfilled, long life friendships made and a true gathering to celebrate a quarter of a century of fun, memories......A QUARTER OF A CENTURY OF ROBOTECH.

It was also a journey that I got to experience MY GREATEST ROBOTECH MOMENT.

As I have made known so many times in the history of this show, there has been one aspect of Robotech aside from the Original 85 episodes that cemented my fandom to the franchise FOREVER....

It is with great pleasure and privilege to present to you New York Times Best Selling author, renowned Star Wars writer and of course along with the late Brian Daley, gave the fandom the Jack Mckinney Robotech Novels............JAMES LUCENO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - Jim's email address
www.brian-daley.com/ - Brian Daley Tribute Site
robotech-aod.com/mckinney.html - Mckinney Purist FAQ
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/James_Luceno - Jim's "Wookipedia" (Star Wars) Article
[/size]
I want to thank Jim and Brian Daley (RIP) for chronicling the Robotech story as well as they did and affording us in 25 years being the only medium that gives us a complete Robotech story. And thank you especially to Jim for his time and giving this fan his GREATEST ROBOTECH MOMENT!

Carl, Brian and Jim...my Robotech Triumvirate!

In this interview we touch on;

Jim Luceno, World Traveler.
Working with the Star Wars franchise AND directly with George Lucas
Advice to Science Fiction writers
Working with Brian Daley
The origin of the Jack Mckinney name:
Jim and Brian's first meeting with Carl and Harmony Gold.
The Robotech Novels Process
The Sentinels
And YES we talk about END OF THE CIRCLE
Carl's endorsement of the novels.
The "nitpicking" ....
And a toast to an old friend.......

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! If you would've told me that the kid from Chicago was going to live out so many dreams back in September of 2009 when this journey started.........I'd of told you that you were NUTS! I don't think I could've capped off what has been an incredible journey with this podcast any better!

And when I first started this 25th episode, I had every intent of it being the last and then as life always throws you the curve ball.......I REALIZED HOW MUCH I MISSED IT LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do definitely want to continue podcasting as it's fun to do. There are so many subjects that out there in the world to talk about (non Robotech) and I'm not too bad at it if I do say so myself...hee hee!

I do want to continue blogging about Robotech at www.protoculturetimes.com and perhaps participating in the forums more. Will the "Times" podcast come back?....Who knows?...I think I fulfilled a lot of Robotech dreams to last me a lifetime.....but when it comes to good ol' JT there's only ONE thing for sure....

NOTHIN'S FOR SURE.

So one more time...

IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/size]

And the Robotech Fans AROUND THE WORLD...did indeed REVIVE FOR 25!

Thanks you always,

- John "JT"
December 31, 2010
The Protoculture Times Podcast
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.[/i][/b]
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Zen72.
13 years 4 months ago #14261
  • Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re: The ProtocultureTimes Podcast

This is the first day I've ever listened to your show. Strange how it's the last day, or last episode you are making. I have to say, you have a fun and exciting podcast. I will be listening to your other shows in order. I haven't heard the final one, and while I'm off of work for the holiday, I'll listen to them as I can. Judging by your first couple episodes I've heard, you have a charisma for Robotech, and the passion you have comes through. If you decide to pick it up later, count me in to listen to you.
13 years 4 months ago #14263
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES: ONE MORE ROUND

Towgrin wrote:

This is the first day I've ever listened to your show. Strange how it's the last day, or last episode you are making. I have to say, you have a fun and exciting podcast. I will be listening to your other shows in order. I haven't heard the final one, and while I'm off of work for the holiday, I'll listen to them as I can. Judging by your first couple episodes I've heard, you have a charisma for Robotech, and the passion you have comes through. If you decide to pick it up later, count me in to listen to you.

Thank you Towgrin for the kind words. I just went out there and had fun with it. I've had my own thoughts about the franchise and fandom and nothing has changed along those lines. I got to interact with a lot of great people around the world and of course interview some of the celebrities that made Robotech possible. The passion was a mix of the excitement I had in fulfilling a dream of doing the podcast and a nervousness not knowing how things would turn out. It involved a process of pre production,outlines of what I wanted to talk about, MANY retakes (I could have done many shows on just the "bloopers" :laugh: ) and the postproduction with background, intro and outro music. All from scratch since the very first episode. I learned A LOT about the podcasting process and industry during this time. I do want to podcast again as it is fun!

To say that The Protoculture Times exceeded my wildest expectations is an understatement. I never considered myself an expert on any aspect of Robotech and that is NOT a requirement to be part of this fandom. I was just a fan that enjoyed the story immensely since 1985 and it was my homage to it. If you enjoy Robotech then you're part of the fandom. The "Times" was just my way of expressing my fandom, no more, no less. Just one of things you go out and do and then takes a life of it's own and I'm extremely proud of the last year and four 4 months because I got to celebrate Robotech's 25th Anniversary in so many ways AND to share that celebration with some great people around the globe. It's humbling when you do something like this and people really enjoy it which makes the journey that much sweeter.

With this last episode, it was the culmination of one helluva celebration of Robotech and one of the most enriching experiences in my life. I consider myself blessed. Being able to interview James Luceno...one of the guys along with Brian Daley and Carl Macek cemented my fandom 25 years ago.....well...I think for my own personal Robotech "journey"...I can say I did it all! B)

I'll ALWAYS have my own opinions about the current state of things and that's the right of EVERY Robotech fan (just like those that have had opinions about me and the show :silly: ). I guess you can sum up my feelings like this...and I said this on the show many times...

"The intent for Robotech......is to enjoy it!"

Thanks again Towgrin for the kind words and happy listening!

- John "JT"
The Protoculture Times Podcast
www.protoculturetimes.com
13 years 4 months ago #14265
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic MARCH 4TH, 2011

File Attachment:

A return to the BEGINNING of a universe.....

www.protoculturetimes.com/2011/02/get-ready.html

The Coundown begins.....
13 years 2 months ago #14714
Time to create page: 0.684 seconds