The ProtocultureTimes Podcast

• Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES EPISODE #23

"MORE COMICS, BEST RT COMICS SITE EVER, WHAT IF? & HANGER DECK #2"

Hello there!

We are officially back for another episode of The Protoculture Times!!!

www.protoculturetimes.com

We cover a lot on this leg of the journey and having fun at the same time!

THE SHOUTOUTS - If I'm not grateful to the worldwide audience that this show has, then I should just quit. But since I always am.....I'll be sticking around!

From Europe to Asia, North and South America and all stops in between, the world becomes a smaller place with that common bond which is Robotech!

A few RANDOM THOUGHTS (DING!)....

I was thinking of doing Robotech Karaoke.......on second thought.....HELL NO!....that would be cruel and unusual punishment to you guys in making you hear me sing "Lonely Soldier Boy".....(yeah .....it's THAT bad!)

Here's a "Robotech confession".....I get mushy when I listen to "To Be in Love"......yeah that's right....JT's just a big softy at heart....I recently found someone's own rendition of this Robotech classic.....and it just really got me.....(sniff, sniff)

There is a link to the video on my site, for some reason here it embeds the entire video and it just makes a long post LONGER!

ROBOTECH FILES - Continuing our exploration of the Robotech comics universe we take a look at two "one time shot" titles. They start and end with one issue but their content is certainly something that can spand into further conversation....

First we have the return of our friend Bill Spangler (SHOUOUT!) with Robotech #0, "What's Past is Prelude" published in 1994!
File Attachment:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Now the story itself involves a character seen briefly in the Masters Saga but heavily used in the Expanded Universe and that is John Carpenter. Although the story is short (and kinda ends with opening for more) it gives you John's perspective of all that has happened since 1999 as it takes place after the Symphony of Light. This character appears a few more times in the comics world and of course in the Mckinney Novels.

Now there are some extra goodies in this issue which really make it all the more interesting and that is interviews with the comics team at the time, one half of Jack Mckinney, James Luceno and an article on the roots of Robotech written by Bill himself! Just like John Carpenter, Bill Spangler "pops" up alot as a writing credit in Robotech comics....AWESOME!

The second title we look at is probably on of the more "powerful" stories in Robotech and that is Robotech: Escape!
File Attachment:

The central character in this addendum to the New Generation story is the Invid prince Corg. What starts off as a cliche story ends in a way I didn't expect which left me very surprised and as what happened to me with the character of Anatole Leonard with The Malcontent Uprisings/Zentraedi Rebellion, after reading Escape, I really don't look at Corg the same way......In brutality, I think he even gives Khyron a run for his money!

As with pretty much ALL Robotech comics, these will be a hard find. BUt check used book stores, comic book store (towards the back of it!) and Ebay. Although one time shot deals, they are worthy additions to any Robotech collection. And when I say worthy, take a look at the STORY that is being told. You don't get a lot of color in Robotech comics but when you really delve into the tale, it IS enjoyable to read!

OFF THE SCIFI SHELF - We do a small review of Batman: Gotham Knight. It's a compilation of six Batman tales, produced by SIX DIFFERENT production teams with their own animation and if you're a Batman fan, this should be in your collection. (AND GET THE TWO DISC OR BLU-RAY VERSION!!)
File Attachment:

Official Batman: Gotham Knight site

Wikipedia Article

Now there was a two fold in choosing this....one it's a great DVD and TWO, I really feel something like this would WORK FOR ROBOTECH. How about some new animation to link the each one of the generations without destroying the base continuity? Now when I say work I am talking about Warner Brothers, NOT Harmony Gold and itr's quite a "coincidence" that WB distributes Gotham Knight.....

But I'm just saying......

ROBOTECH WEB GEMS - And a shiny one folks on this edition......probably the best Robotech Comics website I have seen and it should come as no surprise because it was done by none other than one of the most knowledgeable Robotech fans out there, Johnathan Switzer aka Captain JLS.

Check it out!

It hasn't been updated in awhile but what is there is just fantastic. In one section of the site, he actually lists the comics in the order as they would have happened IN THE ROBOTECH TIMELINE!!!!! What more can be said than.......AWESOME! My full kudos to you Jonathan!

WHAT IF IN ROBOTECH...... - A brand new segment! What if you took one aspect of the Robotech story and changed something.....how would it affect the big picture....what would happen?...what wouldn't happen?

Well now....we speculate on it.....

On this first edition of this recurring segment, I speculate on how things would change IF Khyron had just left Earth and not attacked the SDF-1 in the finale of the Macross Saga......my head spins even considering it....

I invite all to participate with their thoughts on this scenarios and for out next episode...think about this one....

WHAT IF IN ROBOTECH, THE INVID FOUND EARTH BEFORE THE ZENTRAEDI???
[/b]

Let me know.....would love to hear your thoughts on it.....

THE ROBOTECH A.R.T. SEGMENT -
Although I retired the segment name for Carl, I don't want to stop giving the deserved praise to the things and people in the Robotech Universe that deserve it......

And the A.R.T. does stand for something......what.....well listen to the episode silly!

We see the return of our old friend Dave aka ICEBLUE and if his Hanger Deck Project #1 was AWESOME....you can times that by 10 with his new endeavor....THE TOMAHAWK HANGER DECK PROJECT!

Part 1

Part 2

This guy is just amazing!!! And Dave......you gotta republish you pics from your first project, my links don't work anymore!!!!

You think I'm excited here, just listen to me on the episode.....like a school kid who got an "A"!

And to cap things off, I respond to a listener's question on my thoughts about Robotech VS. Macross.....for me this topic is of those that I literally ROLL MY EYES about...but Jennifer in Florida asked......

It's so great to be back in the full swing of things......and I thank you all for making The Protoculture Times so successful!

Oh yeah.....IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!

REVIVE FOR 25!

-JT
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Zen72.
13 years 11 months ago #12350
The topic has been locked.
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic ANNIVERSARYCAST #12+1 - NOVA, HOW I "LOVE" THEE,

A few updates since our last episode;

I promised it since February and i finally did a special episode TOTALMENTE EN ESPAÑOL! It was a great time (almost 3 hours!) and it won't be the last time I do it. My Robotech fandom was cemented when I lived in Ecuador and doing the show brought back a lot of memories as Robotech is one of those things where you get engrossed in the story and sometimes forget the "struggles" of adolescence. :)

For those interested check it out here!

Now on to our AnniversaryCast...number 12+1!

We don't say the number..........we call it 12+1 here on The Protoculture Times! LOL!

In continuing our Robotech character journey, we take a look at a character that just gets my goat every time I see her.....and that makes her an awesome addition to the Robotech roll call. It's the cool but alluring, Nova Satori!

File Attachment:

The key to a character in any story is to evoke emotion from the reader or viewer and Nova is definitely one to evoke them. For me she can be a real bitch!...lol!

Despite being a constant rival to Dana Sterling and cold as a truckload of ice, she is someone that fulfills her oath of duty to the GMP and I can't frown on that....

The novel adaptations of the Masters Saga bring out her more softer side in a flashback where she remembers an encounter with Claudia Grant in New Macross City. Kudos to Brian and Jim (Mckinney) on the generation bridge.

Nova gets fair time in the Expanded Universe too. "Beyond the Invid Storm" brings out her hard bones military side. She particularly enjoys to put her antagonists in the corner. (I don't know if Wolff wants to slug her or......well knowing the Colonel's, shall we say, "female adventures", it leaves you thinking if they are made for each other!)

She also has a role during the Invid occupation and it's aftermath in the Comics universe. Invid Aftermath is one of those titles that gets a lot of bashing from people but in the character sense, it just cements for me what I had felt about Nova......she'll do what it takes and to whoever it is to get the upper hand in a situation.

And YES....she is briefly mentioned in End of The Circle...

Call it a love hate thing for me....I just love to hate Nova and that for me makes her an awesome character!

Click here for more info on Nova!

We also cover the results of our last poll questions (Did Wolff prevail over Lando?) and a new batch for you to ponder on (Main gun or Quantum Torpedoes?)....and they are up at the blog site for you to vote!

We got things coming up for "The Summer of The Protoculture Times".....I'm gonna celebrate Robotech's 25th like it would never happen again......come to think of it......it only happens ONCE!

A preview for Episode #24 coming this weekend...it is my pleasure to present via email for a Protoculture Times interview, writer of the Malcontent Uprisings comic series, Bill Spangler!

File Attachment:

This summer is going to be a WORLDWIDE PARTY here in the "Times"......more details to come!

And we are now also on Twitter.. Click here ......this internet thing is really starting to catch on. What will they think of next??? LOL! (Just like Facebook...you gotta request to follow, but you have a 99% chance of acceptance!)

IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeya this weekend!!!!

REVIVE FOR 25!

- JT
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Zen72.
13 years 11 months ago #12483
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES EPISODE #24

Hello all!

And here we are with celebration continuing on The Protoculture Times!

Download this episode (right click and save)

What we have in store!

THE SHOUTOUTS! - Saudi Arabia and Alaska checking out the Robotech party here! What more can be said, it's a WORLDWIDE HAPPENING!

Mario aka Aiwa, Ed Hunter, Martin Belizan - GRACIAS!
Dan Alvarez - I'm glad you are better dude! Hope to meet you in September!
Maura Branley - The "tough cookie" of The Protoculture Times! (And don't mess with her Nova!)

Some thoughts on the Spanish episode!
Programming note for Episode #25!
THE SUMMER OF THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES!
Don't forget our Poll Questions!
The RandomCast return???

A Random Thought......

THE ROBOTECH FILES - We've been talking Robotech comics, now we talk to one of the big names involved with name. In a Protoculture Times Interview via email, it is my pleasure to present comics writer Bill Spangler!

File Attachment:

Thank you Bill for the time you gave the show to answer some questions and THANK YOU ALWAYS for your contribution to the Robotech Universe. For this fan, it adds to its legacy that much more!

[url=http://www.facebook.com/bill.spangler?ref=sgm]SAY HELLO TO BILL ON FACEBOOK[/url]
CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON BILL'S LATEST WORK

OFF THE SCIFI SHELF - Fandoms come in all shapes and sizes and the fans in it express there love of what they are a fan of in different ways. This is explored in the documentary film "Trekkies". While some may scoff at people dressing up as their favorite character, when you look at this film, it's just fans showing their love. It's the same in Robotech. Fans show their love by watching it, doing different projects (umm podcast) and in cosplay. In some ways when you are a fan of something, it can inspire you in the most positive ways and we'll talk about that here. You come out from this movie KNOWING that the word "Trekkie" is NOT a bad word. Definitely recommended for any sci-fi DVD shelf!

Official site!

WHAT IF IN ROBOTECH...... - We go over some listener responses to the question from our last show, "WHAT IF IN ROBOTECH, THE INVID MADE IT TO EARTH BEFORE THE ZENTRAEDI?". The beauty of talking about these types of scenarios is the "infinity factor" on how many ways the story can go. (makes your head spin that's for sure...lol!)

Here's our next question for the next time we do this segment.....

WHAT IF IN ROBOTECH......HAD KHYRON JUST LEFT AT THE END OF THE MACROSS SAGA!
[/b]

The email lines are open for your thoughts...lol!

ROBOTECH WEB GEMS - And they are brought to you by Mr. BRIAN3D! (thanks for the leg work). He forwarded me some very impressive links dedicated to the New Generation Cyclone. The last link is actually a project of converting a regular motorcyle (Suzuki, I believe) into a "ProtoMospeada"

Some CGI here!
The completed ProtoMospeada!
The phases of its building!

WHATS IN A NAME? - Special segment. I've always been interested in seeing the original series that gave us Robotech. I have seen the original Macross and hopefully in the future I get to see Calvary Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. Part of this interest is the conversion of names from the Japanese series to what they become in Robotech. In some cases, there are some similarities but in others it is something totally different. We take a look at how the characters names started as and what they wound up being in our beloved Original 85.

Check out this site to see some of the name conversions!

***NOTE - I am not a native Japanese speaker. If I mispronounced/butchered any names, please LET me know. I have the utmost respect for the Japanese language (which I'm actually wanting to learn) and I want to make sure I got it right!

THE APPLAUSE SEGMENT - Yes another name change.....A.R.T. was a little to complicated..why not keep it simple...lol!

And this has turned into the BRAIN3D episode as he gets the kudos. We've covered his stuff before and he just continues to put out more! ( I love the BLUE LOGAN!)

Check it out here! (under the forum author of brianthreedee)

Great job as ALWAYS Brian!

PROGRAMMING NOTE:
Our Sentinels special for Episode #25 will air on June 19th! But we will have AnniversaryCasts and poll questions in between.

PLUS.....in the next two weeks, we will have something special that will kick off THE SUMMER OF THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES ...it's going to be a worldwide event!

WOW.......Let me share something with you all.....I'm not always...shall we say 100% happy (hey, I'm human!)....But when I do the "Times" it is something so special and everything that it has become I could've never imagined. The great moments.....and the great people whom I have had the honor of interacting with.....

NOW THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL AN AWESOME PAYOFF!

We're gonna have some "awesome" fun on this "awesome" podcast this summer.....

IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeya soon!

REVIVE FOR 25!

JT
13 years 11 months ago #12524
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic ANNIVERSARYCAST #14 - HIS NAME IS LEONARD....

Hiya!

Beating the heat with some Robotech celebration on another AnniversaryCast!

Our subject for this edition is the character that probably most makes you do a double-take when you look at the stark contrasts of how he is portrayed in the Original 85 versus the Expanded Universe. His name.....ANATOLE LEONARD.
File Attachment:

In the Original 85, he is at the head of the Southern Cross. He sees only one viable response to the attacking forces of the Robotech Masters...no quarter given. He wants to see the enemy destroyed and there is absolutely no room for negotiation. He throws every available resource at them, whether those "human resources" agree with him or not. Although in the end there is a "human" victory, you really can't give the credit to Leonard, that goes to a Zor clone who actually just makes it worse for the Earth. Because of the tactical blunders and wasteful attacks. The miltary left after the Masters Saga is in shambles and will be easy pickings for the Invid swarm.

He is willing even to get rid of those who don't agree with his philosophy to the front lines like a Roman Emperor sending troublesome governor's to a far away province. Some of his military startegies make you just want to slap him and say, "What are you a masochist???..Do you get a kick out of our forces getting beat up?"

In the Expanded Universe, this gluttony for punishment is explained......boy is it ever!

Our first real look at the EU Leonard is in the Malcontent Uprisings comics miniseries. He is a shrewd when it comes to politics and Leonard here sees the Zentraedi as an excuse in taking advantage of a situation to solidify his powerbase. Bill Spangler really tells his story quite well, especially in a. The "shocking moment" of the series comes when his connection to the aliens is revealed.

The Jack Mckinney novels take it even a step further......religious fanaticism...holy order......a deep seated hatred for anything "Robotech" related....

.....and Leonard literally loving to get his ass whooped. (for those of you that don't understand....listen to the episode) Leonard's "skeletons" in the closet are indeed disturbing.

And THAT makes for such a rich, complex and intriguing character. He'd make a hell of a college term paper......

I can't help but think of the word "freaky" when I go back to look at the Original 85 and see him. There are many fans that will totally disavow EU Leonard and that's ok. At the end of the day...I see him as another diverse character in an incredible story.

As part of this AnniversaryCast, we have the results to our recent poll questions and one of them turned out to be our very first "100% to 0%" result!

And since we take down the old....we put up the NEW...we have a fresh basket of questions for you to pick from!

With the character of Leonard, it brings up the neverending subject of canon vs. non-canon. I give you my feelings on the subject with the help of an old mentor......."Bruce" . I can honestly say it helps me look at Robotech without complicating myself.

Be water my friends......

And to cap it off I will give you a few more nuggets about "The Summer of The Protoculture Times". A lot of celebrating.....a lot of fun........A LOT OF ROBOTECH!

It all starts next Wednesday, June 16th with an event where the worldwide Robotech fandom can make a statement.

I'm so excited I may start it sooner.......that's a maybe though....

We'll see.....

IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!

REVIVE FOR 25!!!!!!....'CAUSE IT ONLY HAPPENS ONCE!!!
[/i][/b][/size]
-JT
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Zen72.
13 years 10 months ago #12672
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:ANNIVERSARYCAST #14 - HIS NAME IS LEONARD....

Zen72 wrote:

In the Original 85, he is at the head of the Southern Cross.

Actually, he is the head of The United Earth Forces (Supreme Commander), one step below The Prime Minister (Commander-in-Chief). Carl Macek wrote that his rank was Field Marshall (its never really stated in Robotech).

He sees only one viable response to the attacking forces of the Robotech Masters...no quarter given.

He only states 'No Prisoners' once, Catastrophe. Otherwise, the unnamed Bioroid pilot and Zor Prime would never have been taken into custody. They would simply have been shot in the face.

He wants to see the enemy destroyed and there is absolutely no room for negotiation.

Soldiers do not set government policy, period. Leonard answers to his boss, Prime Minister Moran. If you need your memory refreshed, rewatch Star Dust.

He throws every available resource at them, whether those "human resources" agree with him or not.

No one, last time I checked, who voluntarily serves in the military gets to choose when they are deployed.

Although in the end there is a "human" victory, you really can't give the credit to Leonard, that goes to a Zor clone who actually just makes it worse for the Earth.

Actually, if Leonard had not kept the pressure on The Masters, they could have reigned down destruction with impunity during the series. As it was, while conditions were bad, they COULD have been worse. Reference Ghost Town and the bomb crater cities with dialogue from Catastrophe (where the fleet was set on automatic). Its evident that The Masters visited their own version of The Rain of Death on the Earth in the final moments of the 2nd Robotech War.

Because of the tactical blunders and wasteful attacks. The miltary left after the Masters Saga is in shambles and will be easy pickings for the Invid swarm.

Hardly Leonard's fault as he is ORDERED by Prime Minister Moran to increase attacks on The Masters (again, reference Star Dust). Furthermore, you do NOT fight one war (in which you are literally fighting for your race's survival) with less resources on the unproven off-chance you'd be invaded a mere year afterward. Furthermore, Leonard is dead when the Invid invade.

He is willing even to get rid of those who don't agree with his philosophy to the front lines like a Roman Emperor sending troublesome governor's to a far away province.

The idiotic assertions of a Lieutenant do not make the case. Emerson and those in his staff COULD have resigned over the assignment. If Emerson did not feel he was the best candidate for the job, well, eat your General's bars and retire. Also the fact is that Emerson CHOSE to personally lead the final attack OVER THE PROTESTS OF HIS STAFF! Colonel Rochelle and Green questioned Emerson's decision and I would have as well. Emerson SHOULD have stayed on Moon Base Luna and coordinated the assault to better manage his resources. Instead he chose to command the UES Tristar, whereby he had to do the duty of a ship's captain instead of being able to coordinate the attack from an objective standpoint.

Some of his military startegies make you just want to slap him and say, "What are you a masochist???..Do you get a kick out of our forces getting beat up?"

References please. Other than the air attack in Danger Zone (which followed the standard tactics of the day as established in both The Macross Saga and again in Outsiders with Major Carpenter's REF forces), I fail to remember this kind of situation. Furthermore, the attack in Triumvirate failed because Captain Nordoff attempted to take the Masters City-ships on nose-to-nose. He is even chastised by Leonard for NOT deploying his fighter mecha. When Nordoff launches his Ajax, VOILA, the Masters have to stop firing their big capital-ship killing gun and deploy their own mecha. Of note is the fact that from Mind Games onward, the UEF basically wins every space engagement afterwards.

Are there extreme losses to the UEF as a result? Yes. However, you're talking about a technologically superior enemy (The Masters) who all but have complete control of any engagement involved in (their city-ships are, even depleted, resistant to even thermonuclear-grade weaponry as shown in False Start). They literally have to be battered repeatedly to be hurt.

In the Expanded Universe, this gluttony for punishment is explained......boy is it ever!

Actually, no it is not. It takes a rather interesting character in an unenviable position, and makes a complete parody of him. Leonard of the Tv series was a career soldier (Greg Finley, a former US Army Green Beret, stated clearly that he voiced Leonard as a tough, no-nonsense, military man), whereas Leonard of the Expanded Universe was a politician.
13 years 10 months ago #12674
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic Re:ANNIVERSARYCAST #14 - HIS NAME IS LEONARD....

The beauty of Robotech is the diverse opinions that people are going to have about the story and its characters...whether that be in the context of the Original 85 or the EU.

Great stuff Brooklyn!

- John
13 years 10 months ago #12676
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Autobotdan on topic Re:The ProtocultureTimes Podcast

Yes! We might have difference of opinions but were all fa :laugh: ns here.
13 years 10 months ago #12682
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:The ProtocultureTimes Podcast

Zen72 wrote;

Great stuff Brooklyn!

When it comes to innate knowledge of Southern Cross, there's no one better suited for answering such questions than Brooklyn Red Leg.

Brook really is the ultimate curator of all things Southern Cross. It's hard to argue with that.

BTW Zen72, good podcast :)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
13 years 10 months ago #12686
  • Zen72
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic THE SUMMER OF THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES

Hello everyone.....

Instead of explaining it all in this post.....
File Attachment:

[/i][/b]

IT'S ANNIVERSARY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!

REVIVE FOR 25.....'CAUSE IT ONLY COMES ONCE!

Thanks Carl....

John
June 15, 2010
13 years 10 months ago #12702
  • LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:THE SUMMER OF THE PROTOCULTURE TIMES

This is awesome =D
the final results should be very interesting :P

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 10 months ago #12703