Robotech Live Action Movie

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:live action

I don't think it really matters at this point, if WB is a destroyer of movie titles or not. My personal opinion of them is that they have a good library of successful movies, as well as some that I'd care not to revisit. With all that said, one thing WB is for certain, is quite prudent, and probably will not make a film if there's more of a chance of failure than success. It seems like they've been passing this film up for doing others lately, and while ignorant bliss reigns supreme for some, so far, it's looking like this film won't even happen. One part of me really wants to see this happen. The other part of me, however, knows that it's just not gonna be that great of a movie. Just cause a movie can be made, doesn't mean it should be. Robotech is great as an anime, not too certain about it as a live action movie. The over the top characters, and expressions that animation gives its characters never has translated well onto live characters. And, despite the cool mecha and fight scenes, Robotech's greatest success comes more from the story and the development of its characters. I don't think a 2 hour movie would do it any justice. Only the RT fans would appreciate the movie enough, and there's just not enough of those around to create true success at a box office.
13 years 7 months ago #13593

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:live action

^I have to pretty much agree with Towgrin. I doubt the LAM will ever get made, and if it does it will probably be a few years from now. Big budget movies tend to take 2-3 years once they begin production, its not unheard of for movies to take a decade or longer, I understand the record is 31 years.
I imagine WB's acquired Robotech for primarily a couple of reasons, its a hit 80's cartoon/anime with giant robots, spaceships, and aliens. I suspect its best chance of getting made will be if Voltron actually gets into full production so they will have something to compete with it, studios seem to like copying each other.

If it does get made I expect to see something along the lines of the Zentraedi's arrival and ensuing battle, fold to deep space with Rick and Minmei lost in the hold, battle of Saturn's Rings, then a big finale involving the SDF-1 transforming to fire the main gun and using the Daedalus maneuver, and finally ending with the Zentraedi planning a new offensive and the SDF-1 limping toward Mars. I figure the transformed SDF-1 will resemble a Bayformer Devastator. With character focus most likely on Rick, Minmei, and Lisa; military, civilian, the reluctant hero, and the beginnings of a love triangle. I could see them milking Macross Saga for two, maybe 3 installments depending on how well the first then second one does.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 7 months ago #13594

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:live action

TO EARLY TO GET ANYTHING OUT OF WHERE IT IS.

I SAY 5 YEARS THE MOST. SO FAR ITS BEEN 3 YEARS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 7 months ago #13599

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:live action

Well its about to be FOUR years. Being a ROBOTECH fan is like having a CD account, except that as time goes by ROBOTECH depreciates.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 7 months ago #13600

SIGHUP wrote:

Well its about to be FOUR years. Being a ROBOTECH fan is like having a CD account, except that as time goes by ROBOTECH depreciates.

THAT WHY YOU GO LONG TERM AND DIVERSIFY
:P
13 years 7 months ago #13604

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:live action

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

SIGHUP wrote:

That would be the idea. Unfrotunately, Robotech isn't diversified at all, and long term hasn't benefitted Robotech at all, either. My hope is that if the LAM ever gets made, that WB decides to take the franchise, cause the way it's going now, with all the licensees disappearing, it seems HG is putting a lot of empahsis on the hope of the LAM. If it does fail, there will be much more of nothing for awhile.
13 years 7 months ago #13612

Towgrin wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

SIGHUP wrote:

That would be the idea. Unfrotunately, Robotech isn't diversified at all, and long term hasn't benefitted Robotech at all, either. My hope is that if the LAM ever gets made, that WB decides to take the franchise, cause the way it's going now, with all the licensees disappearing, it seems HG is putting a lot of empahsis on the hope of the LAM. If it does fail, there will be much more of nothing for awhile.

IN OUR FANDOM VIEWS. YOU HAVE TO SEE HG. THEY HAVE NOT LOST A CENT. EXCEPT GAIN FOR SELLING THE RIGHTS TO RLAM.

THATS A HUGE POCKET CHANGE.
13 years 7 months ago #13614

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:live action

Wow did i get back to the Robotech forums or the Wall Street Journal online Market Place? LMAO
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
13 years 6 months ago #13838

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:live action

Earlier in this thread we were talking about how long it can take to make a movie, Kevin gave some examples in a thread on rt.com .

Spider Man took over 15 years from first announcement to an actual film (It was originally announced as an Cannon Pictures project with Tobe Hopper attached to direct.)

X-Men took over 11 years from its first announcement to an actual film. (Work began on X-Men in 1989 with James Cameron and Carolco Pictures then the rights moved over to fox in 1994)

Fantastic 4 took over 10 years from its first announcement to an actual film. (Fox originally announced it in 1994 with Chris Columbus attached to direct.

I Am Legend took over 11 years from first announcement to an actual film. (WB announced it in 1995 with g Neal H. Moritz attached as a producer and Ridley Scott attached as director.)

So using his examples we shouldn't expect RLAM until something like 2017 :ohmy:
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 4 months ago #14133

rtsurfer wrote:

So using his examples we shouldn't expect RLAM until something like 2017 :ohmy:

ONLY ONE PROBLEM IN THAT EQUATION....

RLAM HAS NOT HAVE ANY OF THOSE PROBLEMS ;)
13 years 4 months ago #14136

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds