An 80's Revival

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re: An 80's Revival

That's definately western design and a style I do not like. Akin to G.I.JOE renegades. It seems when it comes to anime style animation that WB is the only company that can get it right. Probably due to their long standing ties with so many studios in Japan. In fact Big-O by Bandai/Sunrise was inspired by the work they did on Batman The Animated Series.

Now if HG could find a way to hire Sunrise (Best Mecha studio IMO due to experience with Gundam) to do the character designs and design fresh mecha and character designs for a reimagined Robotech series then that would rock.

Back on topic....the Lions keep the overall look but have the almost semi deformed look of modern cartoons aimed at 9-13 boys. Funny considering shows like Young Justice go for more "realistic" look while this show goes for "stylized" designs.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
13 years 1 week ago #15914

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: An 80's Revival: Voltron Force

It seems like now days a lot of series are doing some kind of new animation style. Vehicles seem to be 2D cgi that's cell shaded or cartooned, and characters are almost like the animation of 1970's Sat morning (Tarzan, Star Trek, etc) only its stylized with better shading, movements and vehicle/background interaction. Anyone know what I mean?
As for the Japanese vs American style, I expect the character animation will be more of a stylized American with the occasional Japanese touches, much like a number of animations now days.

Hey, its Captain Planet. For some reason the character animation reminds me of that series.
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=20605674...269685&type=1&ref=nf

Yeah, the character animation seems simple, but as long as it doesn't get too crude and there's a good story I can deal with it. The Lions, Voltron, and Robeast look pretty good, lots of motion and action.

Voltron on youtube:
www.youtube.com/show?p=ZGHTL85TNSc&tracker=show_av

Go Lion on youtube:
www.youtube.com/show/beastkinggolion

From Back to the 80s: Interview with Ted Koplar (responsible for bringing Voltron to America) - Kickin' it Old School:
oldschool.tblog.com/post/1970111179

Q: I read that a big screen adaptation of Voltron may be in the works for possible 2013 release. Can you confirm those reports? What else can you tell us about that project?

Ted: A live action feature film is indeed in the works, and we have been working closely with Richard Suckle and Jason Netter to bring about the big-screen adaptation. I am also grateful for the efforts of Chuck Roven in championing the project. We are hoping to make some pretty big announcements soon.

"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 1 week ago #15921

Interesting that it talks about Jason Netter who is also listed as the Executive producer of Voltron Force. Isn't he also listed as the producer for the RT LAM. if so, Voltron, Wanted 2n and Robotech by 2013 which is only 2 years away? Yeah not seeing it. With Wanted having been a decent success and the relaunch of Voltron now, I imagine Rt gets the back burner AGAIN!. On a side not I thinks it's frustrating that on Voltron's facebook, that the Voltron vs Robotech thing has a pic of DYRL not Robotech. Also if Netter is the producer of the Voltron wonder if they are using that to stir the fan base or knock Robotech.

Sidenote he is listed as the Exec. Producer of a new Speeracer series this year.
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Richardmvela.
13 years 1 week ago #15929

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: An 80's Revival

I don't expect any of these LAMs by 2013 except maybe Wanted 2. I'd actully be surprised if we get the Robotech sidequel on DVD by then!
13 years 1 week ago #15939

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: An 80's Revival

JASON NETTER ALSO PRODUCED ROBOTECH SHADOW CHRONICLES AND ROBOTECH 3000.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 1 week ago #15943

he may have produced 3k and TSC but how many other projects was he working on a the same time? He seems to have his hands full, but at the same time, he seems to be trying to revive older franchises. Another interesting thing is, W.E.P. (I would imagine) has fewer resources than HG but yet gets more done...
13 years 1 week ago #15944

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: An 80's Revival: Transformers Prime Toys

Jason Netter seems to have his hands in a lot of stuff. I believe he has a history with Voltron that sorta parallels Robotech. IIRC, HG hired him to do Robotech 3000 because of his work on Voltron 3D and Babylon 5. Then in recent years he has been or will be a producer on both animation and the LAM's of Voltron and Robotech.

I just realized there were prototypes shown for Transformers Prime toys :cheer:

From www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com/news_item/2...ar_wars_marvel_gijoe

Arguably, one of the most anticipated line of figures was the Prime figures. It was unknown whether or not they were going to make these figures until recently. They were off in the corner but they looked fantastic. They did not look like prototypes as much as the other hand painted mocked up figures shown. I absolutely love Arcee and here robot mode is finally symmetrical and beautiful. Her alternate mode makes for a great motorcycle. Megatron was my favorite with a close tie with Starscream. Starscream looks so thin and delicate yet, turns into a very nice Jet. Looks like great engineering. Also shown was Bumblebee, Optimus Prime and the 3 kids. Optimus Prime, Megatron and the 3 kids will be available in an Entertainment pack with DVD, so keep an eye out for that.

Transformers 2011 gallery:
www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com/gallery/v/F...2_highlightId=563258

Starscream
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 1 week ago #15947

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: An 80's Revival: Transformers Prime Toys

Great find surfer! I'm looking forward to these more the new movie toys.

Regarding WEP's resources, who's to say? Remember, they aren't competitors of HG so we can't even compare the two.
13 years 1 week ago #15958

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re: An 80's Revival: Matty Collector shows off their first Voltron toy!

Matty Collector shows off their SDCC 2011 Exclusives. Includes their first Voltron Classic toy!

6" scale
2 types of swords; standard and blazing
Super articulated
Non-transforming/combining
Box has voice chip
San Diego Comic Con 2011 Exclusive

www.collectiondx.com/news_item/42811/mat...ir_first_voltron_toy
13 years 1 week ago #15980

Definately looks to be one I will buy.