An 80's Revival

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Thank you received: 0

An 80's Revival was created by rtsurfer

If anyone is interested, GIJoe Renegades starts on Nov 26 and Transformers Prime on the 29th. Currently HUB is replaying the G1 Transformers and 80's GIJoe.

This time Cobra is the good guys... at least according to the Cobra Industries' commercial ;)

HUB is a new cable network owned by Hasbro . They have a youtube channel with several promos for Transformers and GIJoe .

"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by rtsurfer. Reason: 80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers and GIJoe...
13 years 5 months ago #13846

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers and GIJoe...

HAHAHAHA...

I LIKE THAT. GREAT FIND.

2 OF THE GREAT CARTOONS OF THE CLASSIC 80'S LOOKS LIKE THEY MAKING A COMEBACK AGAIN. I WILL SURE FOLLOW THESE ESPECIALLY TRANSFORMERS.

I ALSO SUPPORT COBRA INDUSTRY'S.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 5 months ago #13847

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re:80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers and GIJoe...

1st time I saw the CG for TFPrime I wasn't that impressed but the more I'm seeing the new Arcee & Cliffjumper I'm liking it more and more.

G.I. Joe Resolute has so spoiled me but Renagades is a interesting concept.
13 years 5 months ago #13854

• Lancer
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Robotech Guru Extraordinaire!

Replied by Lancer on topic Re:80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers and GIJoe...

9p weekdays are reserved for Transformers and GI Joe!
"Robotech is God...Robotech is Life"--I said this in the Shadow Chronicles DVD
13 years 5 months ago #13856

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers/GIJoe...

So far I like the new incarnations, both have a kinda 80's meets LAM version feel. While each has its own distinctive style both are pretty well done. I'm looking forward to the next installments and seeing how their stories' develop.

I expect we will be seeing Joe/Cobra action figures soon with armor/vehicles to follow once Cobra and the US Army show what designs they have hidden away. The current Transformer designs should make nice transforming toys. I see that Hasbro is already using the current Transformer toy packaging to cross promoting "Transformers Prime on the HUB".

Why can't Harmony Gold get their act together? Hasbro has had numerous television incarnations, comics, LAMs, and toy lines for both GIJoe and Transformers, and they're still going strong. Yeah, I know, Hasbro is a powerhouse while HG is well I don't know how to classify them but I have to think things might have been different if HG hadn't given up on Sentinels (assuming it didn't tank). Then HG got a second chance in the early 2000's and blew it once again, is it too late for Robotech now? Has HG killed it off or could another production company give it new life and not only revive the franchise but make it soar?

13 years 5 months ago #13916

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers and GIJoe...

Awesome find. I will eventually get to these sometime. It's great to see all these cartoons you grew up with reinvent themselves over and over again. As for Robotech, I'm resigned to the original 85, and to even the failed attempts like The Untold Story and Sentinels. It seems the more HG tries to push the Mospeada designs and the new story, the more I think it should all just go away. But maybe that's why everything has been on hold for WB??? Anyways, going back to the subject, I'm not much for the G.I. Joe figs or TF toys, but you never know. Maybe they'll be worth a second look.
13 years 5 months ago #13917

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers/GIJoe...

rtsurfer wrote:

Why can't Harmony Gold get their act together? Hasbro has had numerous television incarnations, comics, LAMs, and toy lines for both GIJoe and Transformers, and they're still going strong. Yeah, I know, Hasbro is a powerhouse while HG is well I don't know how to classify them but I have to think things might have been different if HG hadn't given up on Sentinels (assuming it didn't tank). Then HG got a second chance in the early 2000's and blew it once again, is it too late for Robotech now? Has HG killed it off or could another production company give it new life and not only revive the franchise but make it soar?

DID NOT TRANSFORMERS ALREADY HAD SOMETHING OF A ANIME CARTOON ALREADY? COMIC RETOLD STORY'S THROUGH COMICS AS WELL.

LOOKS LIKE ITS COOL THEY INVESTING ON THESE PROJECTS BUT THEY FALL SHORT FROM CONTINUING THOSE PROJECTS THAT A NEW ONE IS BORN LIKE THAT OF THE HUB.

MYSELF I HAVE NOT FOLLOWED OR BOUGHT TRANSFORMER TOYS AND STAY WITH THE ORIGINAL. TLAM REVIVE IT BUT I DON'T SEE A BIG PULL FOR THE TOYS OR CONTINUATION OF IT. AND NOW AS THEY TRY THIS NEW PROJECT OF THE HUB.. LETS SEE IF IT WORKS OUT. SO FAR I HAVE NOT SEEN THE SHOW. DON'T KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE FOLLOWING THE HUB.

SO FOR HASBRO I CAN SEE WHY THE PUSH. IN A BIGGER WAY THAN HG THEY TRIED AND FAILED AS WELL. JUST THAT SOME HAVE NOT SAT BACK AND LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE.

SO FAR THE BEST FRANCHISE HAS BEN STAR WARS WITH ITS STORY'S AND CARTOONS AND BOOKS AND SO ON. IF ONE NEEDS TO PICK THAT WOULD BE A GOOD COMPARISON TO FOLLOW. HECK, EVEN THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY HAS BEEN RE SOLD AND SOLD AGAIN.
13 years 4 months ago #13935

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

^I don't quite follow some of what you're trying to say, but here goes...

Depends on what you mean by anime cartoon, Transformers has had more than one cartoon series which might be considered anime. There have been like a dozen and a half Transformer series between the US and Japan, using a variety of artistic styles and techniques. With varying degrees of success.
Like Robotech there have been a whole lot of Transformer comics, some following the tv series and others venturing off on their own tangents. Sales have varied over the years from lows about where Robotech's ended (both pre and post rt.com) and highs putting them in the top 10 with popular DC and Marvel lines.

Why must a new project be a continuation? Besides, its not like Robotech has had a direct continuation yet-- Untold, Sentinels, and RT3K were spinoffs and Shadow Chronicles is a(n) retcon/alternate reality with New Generation and Sentinel characters in it.

If you haven't checked out the Transformer toy lines in a while then IMHO you've missed out. Not only do they market whatever the current incarnation is but both reissues and new sculpts from many of the Transformer lines including G1, in a variety of price and quality ranges. I especially like my 2007 G1 Jetfire that's posed along side my Robotech toys.

If there's not a demand for the Transformer LAMs and their merchandising, why are they making a THIRD movie and continue to produce quantities of new LAM toys for major retailers and toy stores? Not to mention all the Transformer reissues, re-sculpts, and new designs.

Doesn't look like many people (including yourself and Kev) are following the HUB :huh:

For this week, The Hub was the top co-viewed network among all kid cable networks among Kids 2-11 and Adults 18-49. Thirty two percent (32%) of Kids 2-11 watched with an adult 18-49, out-performing all kid networks, including Nickelodeon (23%), Disney Channel (22%) and Cartoon Network (21%). Source: Nielsen Media Research via TV by the numbers

Or tuned in for NEW GIJoe/Transformers (especially Transformers) ;)

The “Transformers Prime”/”G.I. Joe Renegades” block of special programming on Friday from 3:30 p.m.-7 p.m. generated significant gains audience versus the previous week among households and key demographics: HH (+111%, 97,000), Persons 2+ (+133%, 142,000), Kids 2-11 (+130%, 62,000), Kids 6-11 (+78%, 32,000), Adults 18-49 (+117%, 50,000) and Women 18-49 (+120%, 11,000).

Special back-to-back runs of new half-hour episodes of “Transformers Prime” on Friday from 6 p.m.-7 p.m. delivered significant audience increases versus the previous week: Kids 2-11 rose by +102% (76,000/90,000); Kids 6-11 by +55% (47,000/49,000); Adults 18-49 by +225% (87,000/95,000); and Persons 2+ by +174% (176,000/223,000). Against the prior four weeks, Kids 2-11 increased +219%; Kids 6-11 by +140%; and Adults 18-49 by +507%

Source: Nielsen Media Research via TV by the numbers

Is that a 507% increase in Adult viewership during the Transformers Prime preview? :ohmy:

Both Transformers and Robotech hit slumps during the 90's, only Transformers took off and kept flying while Robotech took off and fell over a cliff :laugh: How exactly do you figure Transformers failed, and what's this big picture (must be a dozy to pull Robotech out of its current slump)? B)

Are you seriously comparing Robotech to Star Wars? :laugh: Seems like the only thing alike about them is how the person in charge has made some bonehead moves :P

13 years 4 months ago #13939

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:80's revival on HUB: NEW Transformers/GIJoe...

rtsurfer wrote:

Depends on what you mean by anime cartoon, Transformers has had more than one cartoon series which might be considered anime. There have been like a dozen and a half Transformer series between the US and Japan, using a variety of artistic styles and techniques. With varying degrees of success.

YES, I HAVE SEEN SOME OF THEM BUT I DON'T COMPLETELY FOLLOW IT. JUST BY A GLANCE.

ONE COMIC I DID BUY WERE THE TRANSFORMERS VS G.I. JOE. GREAT COMIC AND STORY SET IN WWII

Like Robotech there have been a whole lot of Transformer comics, some following the tv series and others venturing off on their own tangents. Sales have varied over the years from lows about where Robotech's ended (both pre and post rt.com) and highs putting them in the top 10 with popular DC and Marvel lines.

ALREADY REPIED ABOVE

Why must a new project be a continuation? Besides, its not like Robotech has had a direct continuation yet-- Untold, Sentinels, and RT3K were spinoffs and Shadow Chronicles is a(n) retcon/alternate reality with New Generation and Sentinel characters in it.

ROBOTECH HAS HAD A LOT OF SPINOFFS BEFORE SHADOW CHRONICLES. FROM COMICS TO NOVELS AND EVEN WITHIN THE ORIGINAL 85 UNIVERSE.

SHADOW CHRONICLES HAD HAS A MORE PUSH AND SUCCESS THAN WHAT YOU MENTION OF UNTOLD STORY, SENTINELS, AND RT3K FOR A RECON/ALTERNATE REALITY THAT IS ZIPPING ALL THE STORY'S TOGETHER.

If you haven't checked out the Transformer toy lines in a while then IMHO you've missed out. Not only do they market whatever the current incarnation is but both reissues and new sculpts from many of the Transformer lines including G1, in a variety of price and quality ranges. I especially like my 2007 G1 Jetfire that's posed along side my Robotech toys.

I HAVE CHECKED THEM OUT. SOME I LIKE, OTHERS I DON'T. BUT NOT ENOUGH TO GET ME BUYING. AND THAT INCLUDES ROBOTECH.

If there's not a demand for the Transformer LAMs and their merchandising, why are they making a THIRD movie and continue to produce quantities of new LAM toys for major retailers and toy stores? Not to mention all the Transformer reissues, re-sculpts, and new designs.

THE LAM I LIKE. EVEN THE SECOND. WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT WAS THE ANIMATED "ANIME" VERSION THAT CAME RIGHT AFTER. THAT CAME AND WAS GONE AND TO ME IT REALLY SUCKED. INCLUDING THE DESIGNS.

Doesn't look like many people (including yourself and Kev) are following the HUB :huh:

GOT TO MUCH GOING AS OF LATE. WILL CHECK IT OUT SOMEDAY... BUT NOT IN A HURRY TO JUMP ON THE THING. YOU GAVE A GOOD REVIEW BUT THE ANIMATION COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER ESPECIALLY WHEN THER ARE FAN WORKS LIKE SKULL KNIGHTS AND ARTIMIS LOOKING WAY BETTER THAN SHOWNED.

For this week, The Hub was the top co-viewed network among all kid cable networks among Kids 2-11 and Adults 18-49. Thirty two percent (32%) of Kids 2-11 watched with an adult 18-49, out-performing all kid networks, including Nickelodeon (23%), Disney Channel (22%) and Cartoon Network (21%). Source: Nielsen Media Research via TV by the numbers
Or tuned in for NEW GIJoe/Transformers (especially Transformers) ;)

The “Transformers Prime”/”G.I. Joe Renegades” block of special programming on Friday from 3:30 p.m.-7 p.m. generated significant gains audience versus the previous week among households and key demographics: HH (+111%, 97,000), Persons 2+ (+133%, 142,000), Kids 2-11 (+130%, 62,000), Kids 6-11 (+78%, 32,000), Adults 18-49 (+117%, 50,000) and Women 18-49 (+120%, 11,000).

Special back-to-back runs of new half-hour episodes of “Transformers Prime” on Friday from 6 p.m.-7 p.m. delivered significant audience increases versus the previous week: Kids 2-11 rose by +102% (76,000/90,000); Kids 6-11 by +55% (47,000/49,000); Adults 18-49 by +225% (87,000/95,000); and Persons 2+ by +174% (176,000/223,000). Against the prior four weeks, Kids 2-11 increased +219%; Kids 6-11 by +140%; and Adults 18-49 by +507%

Source: Nielsen Media Research via TV by the numbers

Is that a 507% increase in Adult viewership during the Transformers Prime preview? :ohmy:

COOL. I AM JUST ONE OF THOSE THAT HAS NOT RUSHED TO SEE IT. LIKE I SAID... WILL DO WHEN I CAN. AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE.. SO MANY SPIN OFFS THAT WILL WAIT AND SEE. SO MANY SPIN OFFS THAT IT JUST NOT GRABBING ME TO JUMP IN TO FAST.

Both Transformers and Robotech hit slumps during the 90's, only Transformers took off and kept flying while Robotech took off and fell over a cliff :laugh: How exactly do you figure Transformers failed, and what's this big picture (must be a dozy to pull Robotech out of its current slump)? B)

LIKE I SAID.. MOVIE I LIKE... BUT THE ANIMATED STUFF I CHECK THEM OUT AND NOT ENOUGH INTEREST FOR ME TO FOLLOW.

Are you seriously comparing Robotech to Star Wars? :laugh: Seems like the only thing alike about them is how the person in charge has made some bonehead moves :P

NOPE. JUST THAT I WOULD NOT COMPARE IT TO HASBRO FRANCHISE LIKE YOU HAVE POINTED OUT IN YOUR PREVIOUS STATEMENT.

IF THERE IS A FRANCHISE TO FOLLOW I THINK STAR WARS IS BETTER SUITED.

;)
13 years 4 months ago #13940

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Looks like Transformers Prime did really well. Its ratings continued to go up the following week for the five part mini-series. Viewer averages seem to be almost double that of programing on competing networks.
The Transformers Prime series starts in Feb 2011.

From The Futon Critic 12/07/10:

Hub Network Original Mini-Series Event TRANSFORMERS PRIME Delivers Significant Audience Gains and Best-Ever Performances for Network in Key Demographics

-- The Hub Remains Top Co-Viewing Network Among Kids Cable Networks --

-- FAMILY GAME NIGHT Continues Growth Pace --

December 7, 2010

(Los Angeles, Ca.) The Hub, a television network for kids and their families, generated significant week-to-week audience gains with its five-part mini-series premiere presentation of the original animated series "Transformers Prime." The special multi-part event (Monday-Friday, November 29-December 3, 6:30-7 p.m. ET) and its encore presentations included best-ever individual program ratings for thenetwork among Households and Persons 2+. The Hub is a joint venture between Discovery Communications and Hasbro, Inc.

The success of the mini-series also boosted The Hub to overall gains versus the previous week in total day among key demographics.

For the week, The Hub remained the top co-viewed network among all kid cable networks in K2-11 and A18-49. For the five-day (Monday-Friday) time period average, "Transformers Prime" was the top co-viewed program in kid cable with 43% of Kids 2-11 watching with Adults 18-49.

The Hub Original Series "Family Game Night" continued its significant growth pace, delivering triple-digit audience gains in keydemographics versus the previous week.

Highlights for the week include:

Daypart Averages:

In total day, The Hub netted double-digit percent delivery increases over the prior week among key demos, including gains of +29% with Households (72,000); +30% with Persons 2+ (103,000); +36% with Kids 2-11 (38,000); and +27% with Adults 18-49 (42,000).

In prime time, (Monday-Sunday 8-11 p.m.) The Hub netted delivery increases over the prior week, including gains of +29% among Households (107,000); +26% among Persons 2+ (152,000); +56% among Kids 2-11 (42,000); and +2% with A18-49 (58,000).

Co-Viewing:

For the week, The Hub was the top co-viewed network among all kid cable networks in K2-11 and A18-49. Forty percent (40%) of K2-11 watched with an adult 18-49, out-performing all kid networks, including Nickelodeon (25%), Disney Channel (23%) and CartoonNetwork (22%).

For the M-F time period, "Transformers Prime" had the highest percentage of co-viewing for a program in kid cable with 43% of K2-11 watching with A18-49, out-ranking Disney Channel (21%), Nickelodeon (23%) and CartoonNetwork (20%).

Programming Highlights:

Against the previous week, the "Transformers Prime" mini-series event (average delivery, Monday-Friday, 6:30-7 p.m.) netted triple-digit percentage increases among key demos including Households (+241%, 191,000), Persons 2+ (+289%, 292,000), Kids 2-11 (+206%, 101,000), Boys 2-11 (+286%, 81,000), Kids 6-11 (150%, 60,000), Boys 6-11 (+293%, 55,000), Adults 18-49 (+464%, 141,000) and Men 18-49 (465%, 96,000).

The Hub's Saturday (1:30-4 p.m.) encore presentation of its new, original "Transformers Prime" mini-series event delivered triple-digit percentage increases over the prior week among key demos, including gains of +168% with Kids 6-11 (75,000); +117% with Persons 2+ (367,000); and +104% with Households (194,000). The series delivered double-digit increases of +81% with Kids 2-11 (132,000); +77% with Adults 18-49 (138,000); and +18% with Women18-49 (40,000).

The Saturday airing of the "Transformers Prime" five-part mini-series included the best-ever average audience delivery for Hub telecasts among Households (194,000) and Persons 2+ (367,000).

The mini-series won the time period (Monday - Friday five-day average), besting Nick Toons among Households, Persons 2+, Boys 2-11, Boys 6-11, Adults 18-49 and Men 18-49; and outperformed Disney XD among Men 18-49 and Men 25-54.

"Family Game Night" (Friday, 7 p.m.) netted significant delivery increases over the prior week with several key demos, including gains of +111% with Households (156,000); +79% with Persons 2+ (306,000); +65% with Kids 2-11 (135,000); +348% with Adults 18-49 (139,000); +217% with Women18-49 (73,000); +227% with Adults 25-54 (85,000); and +172% with Women 25-54 (49,000).

(Source: Nielsen Media Research; program based dayparts; most current; 11/29/10-12/3/10 vs 11/22/10-11/26/10, co-viewing in NPower, L+7)

13 years 4 months ago #14127

Time to create page: 0.587 seconds