WB, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE", AND ROBOTECH

• mecha2241
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by mecha2241 on topic Re:WB, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE", AND ROBOTECH

Gee Mav, where's all of this great info connecting the never to be made Robotech movie with the probably never to be made EDF movie? Having trouble coming up with a convincing BS story or something? I mean it's got to be rough trying to top the last amount of BS you shoveled all the time you finally must have ran out of ideas. You do realize you hurt the franchise more than you help it with your actions, right? Also, like Gubaba I'm waiting for you to show when and where Ranka was naked and why having naked Annie in the remastered Robotech is okay. Keep on squirming Mav... :P
13 years 4 months ago #14126

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:WB, SAM RAIMI

rtsurfer wrote:

While its true that movies often start out with working titles or codenames, they sometimes go through several before the actual name is officially attached to the movie, what would be the point of hiding a Robotech movie?

IF THIS "WOULD BE" THE ROBOTECH MOVIE I ALREADY POSTED WHY.
WHO IS TO SAY THEY DON'T ATTACH THE NAME AFTER WARDS?

HOLLYWOOD HAVE THEIR REASONS AND IT'S ONLY AFTER THE FACT THAT WHEN THINGS START ROLLING THEN PEOPLE FIND OUT AND BECOME INTERESTED AND LEARN LATER THE NAME OF "THE" MOVIE. SINCE WE FOLLOWING ROBOTECH, NOW MANY ARE FINDING OUT THA LOOOONG PROCESS.

Robotech's hardcore fanbase isn't big enough for WB to seriously care what they think and if fanboys could figure out EDF is Robotech in disguise then Big West certainly would.

DON'T GET WHAT YOU BW HAS TO DO WITH THE RLAM.

ACTUALLY YOU MIGHT THINK THAT. IT MATTERS TO WB SINCE THEY DID BUY THE RIGHTS.

Towgrin has a very good point, in Hollywood their lawyers try to work out the details for any foreseeable problems before too much money is invested in a project.

OF COURSE. JUST THAT WE DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH HG, WB, AND ANYONE INVOLVED FIGURE THIS ALREADY OUT BEFORE TOBEY LET IT OUT OF THE BAG.

Take rt2011 for example, supposedly they won't/can't reveal any details until all of the legal ducks are in a row, and its not anywhere near the major project the LAM would/should be.

OPINION.

WHAT HG SAID IS THEY WILL BE READY TO SHOW IN THE SUMMER. SO TILL THEN IT'S JUST SECOND GUESSING.

IMHO, it would be absolutely moronic to invest millions into a movie that will most likely be challenged in court without either knowing you can win or having a deal worked out in advance.

AND WHAT IF THEY ALREADY DID THAT? WOULD IT SURPRISE YOU IF BW IS NOT INVOLVED AT ALL AND THEY HAVE SOMETHING AS CLOSE AS ROBOTECH THAT WE KNOW?

RIGHT NOW IT'S TO EARLY TO GET A DEFINITE ANSWER. HG ALREADY SAID BW IS NOT INVOLVED WITH THIS PROJECT. AND I DON'T THINK THEY EVER WILL BE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 4 months ago #14128

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:WB, SAM RAIMI

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

Robotech's hardcore fanbase isn't big enough for WB to seriously care what they think and if fanboys could figure out EDF is Robotech in disguise then Big West certainly would.

DON'T GET WHAT YOU BW HAS TO DO WITH THE RLAM.

ACTUALLY YOU MIGHT THINK THAT. IT MATTERS TO WB SINCE THEY DID BUY THE RIGHTS.

Seriously? Its reported to be a Macross Saga movie and BW owns most of those designs so they would more than likely sue if any of them were used without permission.

Motion picture and television companies buy rights to all sorts of properties everyday on the off chance they will one day be worth making into a movie or tv series. Have you talked to someone at WB concerning why they bought these particular rights and how much they matter to them as you put it, something you're not telling us? ;)

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

Take rt2011 for example, supposedly they won't/can't reveal any details until all of the legal ducks are in a row, and its not anywhere near the major project the LAM would/should be.

OPINION.

WHAT HG SAID IS THEY WILL BE READY TO SHOW IN THE SUMMER. SO TILL THEN IT'S JUST SECOND GUESSING.

Sure, that's PART of what HG said but you sorta left out the part concerning the legal ducks I mentioned. Here's a summery of what Kevin actually said in an interview :

Pretty much the same vague info concerning the new animated project. Kevin emphasized completion in 2011 but no distributor yet. He said we'd probably see more info, some footage, and casting news next year (on 2011 tour). They can't talk about anything new because of contractual/legal stuff apparently related to hiring the voice actors.

And he said it again on rt.com :

The animated movie to be released in 2011

Getting all of our ducks in a row on this one legal has to give us the all clear which should happen soon.

WOW, I just realized Kevin said rt11 will be RELEASED in 2011! But don't get your hopes up, he has misspoken before.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 4 months ago #14131

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

rtsurfer wrote:

Seriously? Its reported to be a Macross Saga movie and BW owns most of those designs so they would more than likely sue if any of them were used without permission.

MOST LIKELY?

WHO IS REPORTING THAT BW OWNS THE DESIGNS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN? THE REPORTS ARE ALREADY BEEN POSTED IN THE LEGAL DEBATES.

Motion picture and television companies buy rights to all sorts of properties everyday on the off chance they will one day be worth making into a movie or tv series. Have you talked to someone at WB concerning why they bought these particular rights and how much they matter to them as you put it, something you're not telling us? ;)

DON'T KNOW NO ONE AT WB. I CAN JUST TELL YOU OF PEOPLE WHO REPORTED ON THAT SINCE THEY DID WORK ON THE PROJECT.

LETS SEE.. MAGUIRE (PRODUCING RLAM), KASDAN (WROTE SCRIPT), WHITE (RECENTLY APPROACHED WITH SCRIPT) , ETC. ETC. THEY HAVE GONE ON RECORD AND REPORTED IT ALREADY.DOES NOT LOOK LIKE WB JUST BOUGH IT BY CHANCE.

Sure, that's PART of what HG said but you sorta left out the part concerning the legal ducks I mentioned.

SO TELL ME.. WHAT LEGAL PROBLEMS DOES WB HAVE? DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WORKS FOR WB? SOMETHING YOUR NOT TELLING US?

WOW, I just realized Kevin said rt11 will be RELEASED in 2011! But don't get your hopes up, he has misspoken before.

I DON'T WORRY. IF RTSC GOT DISTRIBUTED I SEE NO PROBLEM AS OF NOW THAT THE 2011 PROJECT WON'T EITHER.

SUMMER 0F 2011 IS ONLY ABOUT 6 MONTHS AWAY.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 4 months ago #14135

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

Sure, that's PART of what HG said but you sorta left out the part concerning the legal ducks I mentioned.

SO TELL ME.. WHAT LEGAL PROBLEMS DOES WB HAVE? DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WORKS FOR WB? SOMETHING YOUR NOT TELLING US?

If you had left it in context you would know what I was talking about. I'll repost it for you...

Sure, that's PART of what HG said but you sorta left out the part concerning the legal ducks I mentioned. Here's a summery of what Kevin actually said in an interview :

Pretty much the same vague info concerning the new animated project. Kevin emphasized completion in 2011 but no distributor yet. He said we'd probably see more info, some footage, and casting news next year (on 2011 tour). They can't talk about anything new because of contractual/legal stuff apparently related to hiring the voice actors.

Getting all of our ducks in a row on this one legal has to give us the all clear which should happen soon.

13 years 4 months ago #14138

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:WB, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE", AND ROBOTECH

While I am still skeptical about "EDF" I will point out a few things I think might play into the whole "similarities" Mav claims it has.

While it could just be a code name for the RT movie, is there enough proof to back it up? Is the main character Rick Hunter? If not then I have to disagree, especially if the RT movie takes place in the macross saga. If I recall, Big West doesn't own the American names of the characters, eh?

What I think could be going on and this is just my opinion is that WB saw what a legal mess it was to even make an RT movie so they decided to do the next best thing and TAKE ideas from RT and use those to make something new and original. Think about it? It is very possible and it's something I wouldn't doubt at this point.

Second, not all Studios or even directors gain permission to use certain things or elements in their movies. Example? Platinum Dunes..........they didn't get permission from Wes Craven to remake his movie "A Nightmare On Elm Street". I even heard him in an interview and he was pissed about it. Hell I've listened to movie commentaries only to hear director's themselves talking about how they didn't have permission to use things but did it anyway.

So it's not always a legal concern when it comes to this business, and even if Big West did sue, would they win?

Still I don't think EDF is an RT movie, I just think it's probably inspired by RT and uses some of its ideas but not in anyway or form the RT movie in disguise.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 4 months ago #14139

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

rtsurfer wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

If you had left it in context you would know what I was talking about. I'll repost it for you...

AH! YOU TALKING ABOUT 2011 UNTITLED MOVIE PROJECT. POST IT IN THE APPROPRIATE THREAD AND WILL ANSWER YOU THERE. KEV DOES SAY WHAT LEGAL IT IS THOUGHT... IT'S IN RELATION TO THE VOICE ACTORS.
13 years 4 months ago #14142

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Biollante wrote:

While I am still skeptical about "EDF" I will point out a few things I think might play into the whole "similarities" Mav claims it has.

WELCOME ABOARD IN THIS GAME. THAT'S ALL WE HAVE TO DO SINCE THERE IS NOTHING NEW AND NO ONE IS SAYING MUCH. GOOD TIME TO PASS THE TIME. :)

While it could just be a code name for the RT movie, is there enough proof to back it up?

THERE IS NO PROOF OR ANYTHING MENTIONED AT THIS TIME. THE GUYS CAN BE ROBOTECH FANS ALL THEY WANT AND TALK ABOUT IT AS SUCH BUT AS OF NOW AND SINCE IT'S ANNOUNCEMENT.. THERE IS NO LINK TO TIE ROBOTECH AND EDF.

Is the main character Rick Hunter? If not then I have to disagree, especially if the RT movie takes place in the macross saga. If I recall, Big West doesn't own the American names of the characters, eh?

NO ONE KNOWS NOTHING AS OF YET ON THAT ISSUE. THEY CAN ALL BE CALLED DIFFERENT NAMES OR BE DIFFERENT CHARACTERS ALL TOGETHER WHEN THEY MAKE THE RLAM.

ONE PERSON IN RT.COM CAME WITH A GOOD POINT. WHAT IF IN JAPAN THEY JUST CHANGE THE NAMES. REST OF THE WORLD IS RICK HUNTER... BUT IN JAPAN IT'S RICK MOUNT FUJI OR SOMETHING. YOU KNOW, WHEN THEY DO THE VOICE OVER TRANSLATION THEY CAN CHANGE THE NAME AT THE SAME TIME.

LOT OF INTERNATIONAL MOVIES DOES THAT. SOMETIMES BECAUSE SAYING THE NAMES IS HARD TO PRONOUNCE.

ALSO RE IMAGINING WILL HAVE TO FIT INTO PLAY. EXAMPLE THE FRENCH MOVIE TAXI. GREAT MOVIES 1,2, AND 3. BUT THE AMERICAN VERSION WAS ALL CHANGED WITH QUEEN LATIFAH. CORE OF THE STORY WAS THERE BUT THE NAMES TO IT'S FRENCH COUNTERPART WERE DIFFERENT.

What I think could be going on and this is just my opinion is that WB saw what a legal mess it was to even make an RT movie so they decided to do the next best thing and TAKE ideas from RT and use those to make something new and original. Think about it? It is very possible and it's something I wouldn't doubt at this point.

YEAH. WHICH I THINK THE RE IMAGINE FITS INTO PLAY. HOW MUCH IS ANYONE'S GUESS. I ALSO BELIEVE NOTHING WILL LOOK LIKE THE ANIMATION. AND THAT INCLUDES MECHA, UNIFORM, AND EVEN THE SDF-1.

TAKE BATMAN BEGINS FOR EXAMPLE.. SOME THINGS STAYED BUT MANY CHANGED.

Second, not all Studios or even directors gain permission to use certain things or elements in their movies. Example? Platinum Dunes..........they didn't get permission from Wes Craven to remake his movie "A Nightmare On Elm Street". I even heard him in an interview and he was pissed about it. Hell I've listened to movie commentaries only to hear director's themselves talking about how they didn't have permission to use things but did it anyway.

AS OF NOW WE DON'T KNOW WHAT PERMISSIONS THEY HAVE OR HOW THEY WILL WORK THOSE THINGS OUT. THEY WON'T LEAVE JAPAN OUT SO I FIGURE THEY WILL HAVE THAT WORKED OUT ALREADY.

So it's not always a legal concern when it comes to this business, and even if Big West did sue, would they win?

ONE THING IS I DON'T EVEN THINK THEY WILL SUE. THERE IS NOTHING AS OF YET TO SEE ON WHAT GROUNDS WILL THEY SUE. UNTIL WE GET FIRST GLIMPSE OF DESIGN OR CHARACTER NAMES THEN I AM SURE THERE WILL BE TOPICS ABOUT IT. OR SOMEONE WILL POST IF BW GETS INTO THE RING WITH WB.

Still I don't think EDF is an RT movie, I just think it's probably inspired by RT and uses some of its ideas but not in anyway or form the RT movie in disguise.

IN A WAY I HOPE IT IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE GUY THEY PICKED FOR EDF IF IT'S ROBOTECH.

BUT EDF ON IT'S SEPARATE PLATFORM NOT BEING ROBOTECH IS COOL WITH ME WITH THE PERSON TO HELM IT.
13 years 4 months ago #14143

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

AH! YOU TALKING ABOUT 2011 UNTITLED MOVIE PROJECT. POST IT IN THE APPROPRIATE THREAD AND WILL ANSWER YOU THERE....

I was using this as an example, then had to expand upon it because you were apparently clueless. No need to repost in another thread as I wasn't expecting an answer.

Biollante, sounds reasonable to me, we'll have to wait and see.

13 years 4 months ago #14152

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

rtsurfer wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

AH! YOU TALKING ABOUT 2011 UNTITLED MOVIE PROJECT. POST IT IN THE APPROPRIATE THREAD AND WILL ANSWER YOU THERE....

I was using this as an example, then had to expand upon it because you were apparently clueless. No need to repost in another thread as I wasn't expecting an answer.

Biollante, sounds reasonable to me, we'll have to wait and see.

I GOT WHAT YOU WERE SAYING ALRIGHT. YOU COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES. WHY YOU WON'T GET AN ANSWER.
13 years 4 months ago #14154

Time to create page: 0.604 seconds