WB, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE", AND ROBOTECH

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

WB, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE", AND ROBOTECH was created by MEMO1DOMINION

OK.. JUST SAW THIS BUT NOT ANOUNCED AS A "ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE" BY SAM RAIMI WITH WARNER BROTHERS.

REMEMBER WHEN THE DIRECTOR BROUGHT IN SOME GUYS AFTER A FAMOUS VIDEO INVASION OF ROBOTS IN A SPANISH YOUTUBE VIDEO? WHO KNOWS. BUT SOUNDS TO CLOSE TO THE ROBOTECH ZERO COMIC (NOT RELATED TO MACROSS ZERO) THAT CAME OUT IN EARLY 00'S.

COULD BE ANOTHER DIRECTOR TRYING TO PROMOTE HIMSELF? OR A SNEAK PEAK INTO SOMETHING MORE? WHATEVER THE CASE WITH ALIEN INVASION MOVIES...

SOURCE:

Sam Raimi and Warner Bros Starting an "Earth Defense Force"

www.firstshowing.net/2010/09/29/sam-raim...earth-defense-force/

September 29, 2010
Source: Vulture
by Ethan Anderton

With projects like a futuristic take on Wyatt Earp and an adaptation of the video game World of Warcraft in his future, director Sam Raimi is quite the busy man. That's not stopping him from adding to his workload though as Vulture reports Raimi is working with District 9 producer Bill Block and Warner Bros. to set up a sci-fi flick called EDF (or Earth Defense Force). The report says: "Mix Top Gun with Independence Day and add a pinch of The Last Starfighter, and you'll get EDF." Andrew Marlowe, the writer of Air Force One and executive producer on the TV series "Castle," is writing the script and it sounds pretty epic. Read on!!

Since the truly exciting aspects of this story (which has nothing to do with the video game of a similar name) are in the details, I'll just let Vulture's scoop speak for itself. Here's how they describe the project:

"In 'EDF,' we open on a U.S. military operation gone awry: Sent to rescue what they believe is a sub that's accidentally bumped into a mine in Chinese waters, U.S. naval aviators quickly wind up engaged in a dogfight with a squadron of Chinese air force pilots. Soon, planes on both sides are being shot out of the sky, but not by the Chinese or US pilots, but by three alien attack fighters, which soon depart and destroy many of the world's landmarks and military installations, then, vanish. It's a test of Earth's defensive capabilities, and we failed. Shortly after, NASA detects a radiation signature in a nearby galaxy, indicating a far more massive attack coming in about ten months, and world leaders set about trying to create super-aircraft and weapons that can fight off the coming invasion."

However, those looking forward to Raimi finally deciding what his next directing gig might be will be disappointed to hear that it doesn't sound like he'll be directing this one. However, the project will be looking for a director very soon. Now we're left wondering once again what project Raimi will embark upon next. In addition to the aforementioned projects (Wyatt Earp and Warcraft), Raimi has also been linked to an adaptation of The Shadow (likely only as producer) and maybe Oz: The Great and Powerful but it's still unclear what the filmmaker will tackle. Like all Raimi fans, I'm hoping we find out sooner than later. What do you want Sam Raimi to direct next?
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 6 months ago #13711

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE" .

SPECULATION AHEAD:

A RE IMAGINE LIKE THIS... WOULD A FAN LIKE IT OR HATE IT? I MEAN IF THEY MADE THE ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE START LIKE THIS? SOUNDS CATCHY STORY AND ITS NEW.

AND I WOULD LIKE IT. JUST THAT... WHERE'S THE SDF-1? DO EARTH BUILD IT? AND INSTEAD OF YEARS YOU HAVE MONTHS?

THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO SHORTEN THE MACROSS SERIES.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 6 months ago #13712

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE" .

by three alien attack fighters

HMMM.... VERY ROBOTECH "THE MASTERS" TRIUMATIVE LIKE....

:blink:
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 6 months ago #13713

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by treiz on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE" .

That sounds more like Independence Day 2, as much as I'd like to believe it I don't see why they'd spend the money to get the Robotech property only to pitch a story that has nothing to do with it.
13 years 6 months ago #13722

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE" .

treiz wrote;

That sounds more like Independence Day 2

Can't be as that property is currently owned by 20th Century Fox, not Warner Brothers! ;)
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
13 years 6 months ago #13724

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

by three alien attack fighters

HMMM.... VERY ROBOTECH "THE MASTERS" TRIUMATIVE LIKE....

:blink:

or four!, just a number, nothing relevant to me.
13 years 6 months ago #13726

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI

Seems like some people get carried away over potentially nothing. First of all, if I read this and other reports correctly its something Raimi is trying to "set up" and not an actual green lite project yet, much as with Robotech. Second, "Earth Defense Force" is a very generic term, how many other comics, books, games, tv shows, videos, movies, etc. have used this term or one very similar? Third, alien invasions are about to overwhelm Hollywood, why wouldn't a well known horror/scifi/fantasy mogal throw his own variation of the theme into the ring?
Sure, it could turn out to be Robotech in disguise. Although with all of the other alien invasion (and Transformers 3) movies on the horizon wouldn't it make more sense to publicize an existing title which they likely acquired in part for its 80's name recognition rather than obscure the true project making it just another knock off to capitalize on a trend? Speaking of which, with all of alien invasion movies flooding the market I think it becomes even less likely we will see Robotech LAM made anytime soon. Even if they rushed Robotech into production right away it would still catch the end of the current alien invasion trend (if it was lucky) and risk facing an alien invasion/transformer burnt-out movie-going audience.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 6 months ago #13731

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI

I agree. I saw the trailer to skyline and thought robotech masters/ sd calvary southern cross becuz of the abductions, and the fact that the ships resemble those of the masters. Id say to look at it as a warm up to the rt movie.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
13 years 6 months ago #13732

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Pierre Morel maybe helming Sam Raimi's EDF movie!

Check these links out;

www.therumormonger.com/2010/11/12/pierre...earth-defense-force/

www.beyondhollywood.com/pierre-morel-pre...-raimis-edf-taken-2/

I keep wondering if this is Robotech or not? Why would Warner Brothers be making both Robotech and EDF?

Nice to know that there is a possible director for this film.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
13 years 5 months ago #13840

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:WARNER BROTHERS, SAM RAIMI

rtsurfer wrote:

Seems like some people get carried away over potentially nothing.

Sure, it could turn out to be Robotech in disguise.

YOU KNOW IT'S NOT ROBOTECH... OR IS IT?

DON'T TRY TO PLAY IT SAFE AFTER MAKING SUCH AN UNDERHAND COMMENT ON SOMETHING THAT JUST BEING REPORTED FROM HOLLYWOOD BUZZ.

Although with all of the other alien invasion (and Transformers 3) movies on the horizon wouldn't it make more sense to publicize an existing title which they likely acquired in part for its 80's name recognition rather than obscure the true project making it just another knock off to capitalize on a trend? Speaking of which, with all of alien invasion movies flooding the market I think it becomes even less likely we will see Robotech LAM made anytime soon. Even if they rushed Robotech into production right away it would still catch the end of the current alien invasion trend (if it was lucky) and risk facing an alien invasion/transformer burnt-out movie-going audience.

First of all, if I read this and other reports correctly its something Raimi is trying to "set up" and not an actual green lite project yet, much as with Robotech. Second, "Earth Defense Force" is a very generic term, how many other comics, books, games, tv shows, videos, movies, etc. have used this term or one very similar? Third, alien invasions are about to overwhelm Hollywood, why wouldn't a well known horror/scifi/fantasy mogal throw his own variation of the theme into the ring?

NOW WITH THIS FAIR PLAY QUESTIONS AND THOUGHTS...

THERE IS NOTHING OUT THERE THAT SUGGEST THAT THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN SHELVED. EVEN IF DAY BY DAY GOES BY WHEN ITS ONLY BEEN..YEAR BY YEAR, AND PRODUCTION DID NOT START TILL 2007.

1.2007 WHEN THEY ANNOUNCED A SIGNED DEAL
2.2008 GOT AN IDEA WHO WAS PRODUCING
3.2008-2009 WRITERS BEING PICKED
4.2010 ONE DIRECTOR BEING ASKED TO HELM THE PROJECT AND TALKING ABOUT THE SCRIPT.

NOT AFTER WB AND TOBEY ARE SPENDING MILLIONS TO GET A GOOD STORY AND AS WELL A DIRECTOR READY TO HELM A ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE. LIKE I SAID BEFORE.. THIS WHOLE MOVIE BUSINESS IS MUCH LIKE AN AIRPORT. THE MOVIE GETTING PREP BEFORE TAKE OFF.

WE JUST BEEN FOLLOWING TO CLOSELY THAT IT LOOKS LONG. ACTUALLY IT IS NOT. AND I AGREE, THERE IS STILL MORE YEARS TO COME BEFORE IT'S IN THEATERS.

NOW YOU HITTING MUCH ON THE MARK ABOUT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. POSSIBILITY'S OF WHAT IT IS OR IS NOT. BUT SO FAR THE INTENT AS WELL WAS TO SHOW WHAT DOES GREEN LIT MEANS CONSIDERING IT'S USE IN THE HOLLYWOOD WORLD. UP TO SEE WHAT ONE MIGHT THINK OF THE STORY CONSIDERING THAT EVERYONE EXPECTS A RLAM RE-IMAGINE.

AND SO FAR I SEEN COMMENTS ABOUT IT CLOSE TO LIKING THE CHANGE THAN THAT OF FANS NOT LIKING THE CHANGE. WAS REALLY WONDERING HOW THAT WOULD BE TAKEN CONSIDERING ALL THE MOVIE GENRE ARE BEING THROWN OUT THERE IN TODAY'S TIME LIKE YOU SAY.

CONSIDERING THAT THERE HAS BEEN AND WILL ALWAYS BE TERROR MOVIES, SCIFI MOVIES AND NOW ROBOT MOVIES..

A ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE IN THE MIX WILL SURE TO BRING INTEREST IN ITS NAME ALONE. IT WILL EITHER MAKE IT BIG OR FLOP BUT THAT'S UP TO TOBEY, WB, AND HG THAT IT DOES NOT.

IN AN THE AIRPORT EXAMPLE... THERE IS NOT JUST ONE PLANE COMPANY... THERE ARE MANY AND JUST ABOUT DOING THE SAME THING AND EVERYONE FLYING THEM.

WELL ROBOTECH WILL BE WATCHED REGARDLESS ALL THE MULTIPLE MOVIES THAT CAME OR ARE BEING MADE.

AND WHY I FIND IT FUNNY THAT WB, KNOWING WHAT ROBOTECH IS, IS OUT PLAYING WITH THIS TREATMENT OF SAM RAIMI.. JUST MAYBE, BUT MAYBE, TO SEE WHA FANS WOULD SAY. AND IT'S ALL NOT NEGATIVE REGARDLESS IF IT IS OR IT IS NOT ROBOTECH.
13 years 5 months ago #13841

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds