The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

Carol is definitely one of my favorites and probably one of the best developed female characters there is. I also confess that at one point I thought she and Daryl might end up together one day but it seems they've only stayed good friends instead which is fine.

I've got a really good friend who also wanted to see Carol and Daryl become official and he feels like the show has been leading him on which only added to his frustration and made him stop watching. Of course he was also annoyed by other things such as dumpstergate the stupid cliffhanger at the end of Season 6 and other dumb blunders committed by Scott M. Gimple.

I keep trying to tell him the writing is better now, especially the treatment of Daryl's character. That was another issue he had with the writing of the show. It seemed as though Gimple tried to dumb Daryl down before.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
5 years 2 months ago #26930

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 106

Replied by jeanie on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

I have a theory why Daryl hasn't hooked up with anyone (also pertains to his reluctance to bathe), given what we know of his childhood. I actually think the way Daryl responded to his treatment at Negan's hands was very much in character - more because of how Norman Reedus played it than because of how it was written. My main issue with seasons 7 and 8 was that they should have been one season - first part the build up, second part the war itself. Oh, and Carl. Still trying to wrap my brain around that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Alpha Bravo
5 years 2 months ago #26933

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

Carl was killed off because AMC didn't want to pay the actor as an adult. He had just turned 18 and had been previously told he'd be signed for several more seasons so the kid bought a house to be close to filming and then AMC changed their mind and told him he was being killed off.

It was the biggest low blow and it not only affected Chandler Riggs but also the rest of the cast which started the domino effect of cast members making their exit. Chandler getting fired was one of the main reasons that Andrew Lincoln decided to leave the show, same with Lauren Cohan aside from her wanting to be paid more.

I'm pretty sure Tom Payne was pissed about Chandler Riggs too but also his character getting jack shit to do.

The main issue with TWD is there are too many characters and its too much to balance. Gimple skimped out on cleaning house with All Out War, which was much better in the comic. Dragging it out for two seasons is definitely what made it boring but also the lack of character deaths.

It was supposed to be a war but there were hardly any casualties.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
5 years 2 months ago #26936

Yeah, I heard about how Gimple screwed over Chandler Riggs. But story-wise, it makes no sense. For one thing, many of the viewers saw Carl as the future of the show. And the way it was written was just stupid. For one thing, Carl has been all about killing Negan. I can buy that he changed his mind - he is a kid, after all, and may have remembered Lori's dying plea not to let the world change him - and even that he got bit. But for Rick to "honor his wishes" was so out of character. We even saw Rick go back on his word, he was so bent on killing Negan. And then, to make future storylines work, they had to do that huge time jump! I do love what Angela Kang has done to salvage the show. I'm just gobsmacked about her rescue efforts being needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Alpha Bravo
5 years 2 months ago #26937

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

jeanie wrote: Yeah, I heard about how Gimple screwed over Chandler Riggs. But story-wise, it makes no sense. For one thing, many of the viewers saw Carl as the future of the show. And the way it was written was just stupid. For one thing, Carl has been all about killing Negan. I can buy that he changed his mind - he is a kid, after all, and may have remembered Lori's dying plea not to let the world change him - and even that he got bit. But for Rick to "honor his wishes" was so out of character. We even saw Rick go back on his word, he was so bent on killing Negan. And then, to make future storylines work, they had to do that huge time jump! I do love what Angela Kang has done to salvage the show. I'm just gobsmacked about her rescue efforts being needed.

It wasn't just Carl who changed his mind about killing. Jesus also went through that character flip-flop, as did Morgan who seems to flip-flop every single season. I'd blame it on the writers for not trying to keep the story consistent. Carl's change came out of nowhere as did Jesus's. And because it was that notable fans got annoyed, including myself. But the story was already suffering from being dragged out so badly in the first place.

But thankfully I am enjoying Season 9 and all the effort put into keeping things consistent and interesting. Speaking of which I watched tonight's episode and wow I am just amazed at the way Alpha and her people have been surviving. They were all willing to leave a baby for the dead because its just nature as Alpha put it. She said they are animals so they live like animals. Though it doesn't seem very animal like that Alpha would want her own daughter back, so that's some kind of clue to letting us know there is still a part of her that is human. But they all sound very far gone.

5 years 1 month ago #26974

The entire seasons seven and eight covered a month, tops. Carl's a teenager and therefore prone to extremes in his moods. He calmed down, remembered Lori's dying wish for him, and changed his mind. That one I can understand.

Jesus I got no explanation for. Morgan became eyeroll fodder for me when he started showing up in after-credits scenes. They should've just left his crazy ass in King County.

As soon as Lydia starts questioning Alpha's ways, Lydia will be abandoned just like that baby was in the corn field. And it will be Lydia's fault for being a bad daughter. Alpha will make sure everyone knows that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
5 years 1 month ago #26977

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

jeanie wrote: The entire seasons seven and eight covered a month, tops. Carl's a teenager and therefore prone to extremes in his moods. He calmed down, remembered Lori's dying wish for him, and changed his mind. That one I can understand.

Jesus I got no explanation for. Morgan became eyeroll fodder for me when he started showing up in after-credits scenes. They should've just left his crazy ass in King County.

As soon as Lydia starts questioning Alpha's ways, Lydia will be abandoned just like that baby was in the corn field. And it will be Lydia's fault for being a bad daughter. Alpha will make sure everyone knows that.

Morgan became even more eyeroll fodder when he crossed over to FTWD. Gimple also had an episode where we saw Morgan sitting on the toilet, I shit you not. I guess that was just Gimple's way of showing us he is self aware. Season 3 of FTWD was the best but then AMC went ahead and fired that showrunner and we ended up with some hack who ruined the show.

As far as I know AMC is in a lot of hot water, mainly with lawsuits since they're also responsible for the death of one of the stunt men who worked on Season 8. AMC is cheap and wouldn't provide the crew with the things they needed and so that alone cost one man his life and the family is suing AMC for it.
TWD creator Robert Kirkman is also suing AMC because he hasn't gotten his fair share of the profits. And there is also the many lawsuits between Frank Darabont and AMC.

At the rate they're going I won't be surprised if any of the cast members sue AMC as well when the show is over with. And it's said that the only reason Gimple hasn't been fired is because he is their yes man and keeps show under budget.

5 years 1 month ago #26978

I don't watch FTWD. Heard bad stuff about it from the start, and when Morgan went there I said "Another reason for my not to watch".

If I was AMC, Gimple'd have to do a hell of a lot more than be a yes-man to avoid (a least) a demotion. Budget be damned! And now I hear he's in charge of the movies?

But, then again, if I was AMC... most of those lawsuits would have been avoided and Chandler Riggs would still be on the show.
5 years 1 month ago #26979

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

jeanie wrote: I don't watch FTWD. Heard bad stuff about it from the start, and when Morgan went there I said "Another reason for my not to watch".

If I was AMC, Gimple'd have to do a hell of a lot more than be a yes-man to avoid (a least) a demotion. Budget be damned! And now I hear he's in charge of the movies?

But, then again, if I was AMC... most of those lawsuits would have been avoided and Chandler Riggs would still be on the show.

As soon as FTWD was announced I really had no interest and then curiosity got the best of me and so I watched the first season and it was meh except for a few decent characters like Nick, Daniel, and Strand. So I continued to watch because of them. Then comes Season 2 and once again it was okay but wow one of the main characters like Travis suddenly becomes more likable and I look forward to seeing where the series goes with him.

Next comes Season 3 where Travis is killed off at the very beginning so that was a huge disappointment and I felt hesitant to continue watching despite my interest in Nick, Daniel and Strand. But in Season 3 other characters started stepping up and wow the show felt completely different and enjoyable. So that's why I think Season 3 had superb writing and should have had that showrunner and producer to begin with.

Then comes Season 4 and its a cross-over with Morgan. I rolled my eyes but decided to give it a watch, and lo and behold, this new showrunner just starts killing off all the decent characters, including Nick and Madison. Though I heard that as soon as Gimple got signed on as a co-producer Nick's actor wanted to be written off the show. And now the villain from Season 3 is being resurrected for Season 5 despite the fact he died in Season 3 and we all saw it plain as day.

That guy was killed off so Scott Gimple couldn't ruin him as a character, but Gimple found a way.

I swear to god the more crap I read about the behind the scenes the more I am thankful that AMC never had full control of my other favorite series Breaking Bad. I'm also glad that series ended on a good note too.

Just tired of my favorite shows going to shit or getting crap endings a-la Dexter. The showunner who ruined Dexter in the final seasons was named Scott Buck. What is it with Scotts fucking things up?

5 years 1 month ago #26980

Now, now... Some of my favorite people are Scotts.... :P

I cannot be in the same room with a television playing and NOT watch it. Throwback to my childhood, I reckon, when the dang thing was not on unless we were watching it. Someone else started watching the show and I got sucked in. Gimple probably would have successfully run her off if it wasn't for her crazy aunt coming over every Sunday and taking her hostage.

Not a fan of the zombie genre in general. Yet here I am, nuts about a zombie show. (Strangely enough, I'm also not a fan of vampires but Dracula is my favorite book.)
5 years 1 month ago #26981

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds