The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion) was created by LadyGrimes

I find your lack of TWD disturbing. :angry:

So who is caught up with the series or at least watched the season 6 finale?
I'm also caught up with the comic series sans for the latest issue.
I'm so addicted to this series I just can't quit it. Even though Season 6 left us with
the worst possible cliffhanger to date and practically ruined Negan's intro and the impact
a certain major character death was supposed to have.

So now we wait 7 months to see the death? The build up to that scene was perfect near the
end of the finale, so when it comes back next fall we as the audience aren't going to feel
as emotional as we would've had TPTB did the finale scene the justice it deserved.

It should've ended the same way it did in the comic, no exceptions.

Still I look forward to season 7 because there is a lot of good material from the comic I hope will make it into the TV series.
Oh and more Negan of course!

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
7 years 11 months ago #21761

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

Comic book audience is a niche audience to begin with, so they can pretty much do whatever they want. Television audience, especially for a prime time mainstream series like this one, is a whole other ballgame. Some concessions and outright changes have to be made in order to appeal to the broadest possible target audience, which is in stark contrast to a niche comic book audience.

Andrea is a great example of this. She is alive in the comic books long after her television death. For a television audience, they need a strong female character, to appeal to a female demographic. Carol fills the mature female demographic, Maggie fills the young adult female demographic, and then there were Andrea, Lori, and Michone, for the adult female demographic. Andrea just came across as a bitch, and Lori was a wallflower. Michone was by far the most popular of the three, so go ahead and kill the other two. Screentime spent on Andrea past that point would be less screentime for Michone. Michone also has the added virtue of filling a second demographic: black female audience. You could even say she fills a third demographic: ninja swords, because everyone loves ninja swords. Michone is not going anywhere, anytime soon.

This, however, makes Sasha redundant. If she's not already dead, she soon will be.

As for Glenn, you're not going to see millions of people spreading word-of-mouth hype and suspense (read: free advertising) over a comic book character, as opposed to a beloved prime time television character. It makes sense to drag this out over the summer, so that interest in the series doesn't wane during the offseason.

That said, I don't get cable television, but I have seen whatever they have on DvD.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 11 months ago #21763

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

Alpha Bravo wrote: Comic book audience is a niche audience to begin with, so they can pretty much do whatever they want. Television audience, especially for a prime time mainstream series like this one, is a whole other ballgame. Some concessions and outright changes have to be made in order to appeal to the broadest possible target audience, which is in stark contrast to a niche comic book audience.

Andrea is a great example of this. She is alive in the comic books long after her television death. For a television audience, they need a strong female character, to appeal to a female demographic. Carol fills the mature female demographic, Maggie fills the young adult female demographic, and then there were Andrea, Lori, and Michone, for the adult female demographic. Andrea just came across as a bitch, and Lori was a wallflower. Michone was by far the most popular of the three, so go ahead and kill the other two. Screentime spent on Andrea past that point would be less screentime for Michone. Michone also has the added virtue of filling a second demographic: black female audience. You could even say she fills a third demographic: ninja swords, because everyone loves ninja swords. Michone is not going anywhere, anytime soon.

This, however, makes Sasha redundant. If she's not already dead, she soon will be.

As for Glenn, you're not going to see millions of people spreading word-of-mouth hype and suspense (read: free advertising) over a comic book character, as opposed to a beloved prime time television character. It makes sense to drag this out over the summer, so that interest in the series doesn't wane during the offseason.

That said, I don't get cable television, but I have seen whatever they have on DvD.

The series has gone through a lot of showrunners. First you had Darabont who ended up fired because of creative differences. Then came Glenn Mazzarra who thought it was a good idea to kill Andrea off in season 3, and then he too got fired.

So here comes Scott Gimple, the most recent showrunner who's contract just got extended even after the backlash of the season 6 finale, but he's had three successful seasons so far and had to pick up where Mazzara left off and also try to fix the mess he left behind.

In fact by the time Mazzara got fired they hadn't even shot the season 3 finale yet and Mazzara planned for Andrea to die in a much worse way. Thankfully though when Gimple took over he rewrote the death for Andrea and gave her a better send off. He is also responsible for Carol's amazing development and growth from a battered house wife to the strong warrior she is now. That said, he has had a lot of success with the series but a lot of the episodes are hit or miss because of his obsession with adding filler.

That alone frustrates fans of the comics like myself is that there is so much material to utilize from the comic and yet this guy is just adding pointless filler in order to drag things out, leaving the more exciting bits for the end. That's really my only gripe with him.

Now I also don't have cable either, so I do the whole live streaming thing when the episodes air. The most recent season on DVD would be season 5. I liked season 5 sans for the god awful Grady Hospital arc and that artsy horror of an episode "What Happened and What's Going On? Not even the Governor cameo could save it. That episode just seemed like a piss poor excuse to kill off Tyreese to further Sasha's angst after already losing Bob.

Now as for the season 6 finale, apparently it's being said they haven't made the decision on who to kill off. Gimple did say there were clues in that episode as to who would die but I don't know. As much as I'd like to spend rewatching and analyzing the episode to figure out who's going to bite the dust when season 7 returns, I'm just going to wait and see. But if anything filming spoilers are going to be the one thing that gives it away. How in hell do you hide someone for an entire season of filming?

I still think it might be Glenn or Abe. I don't think Gimple has the balls to kill off Daryl. After all he's their cash cow and I'm sure AMC would be against it. Aaron is another potential victim and I hope it's not him. Eugene too, but I don't think he's dying because his story is merely just beginning. So it's looking like Glenn, Abe, or Aaron at this point.

It's going to be a hell of a wait. The boxcar cliffhanger at the end of 4 was really tough to get through lol.

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by LadyGrimes.
7 years 11 months ago #21769

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

HEY, WELCOME BACK HAPPY!

WELL, I FOLLOWED THE COMICS WAY BEFORE THE SERIES. AND HAD PUT IT DOWN FOR NOW. SOLD SOME TO A FRIEND WHO ONLY STARTED COLLECTING AFTER THE SECOND SEASON.

I ALSO FOLLOWED TWD SINCE ITS DEBUT AND HAVE NOT STOPPED SINCE. AND YES, THIS ONE IS A CLIFF HANGER. WILL THEY KILL OF GLENN OR NOT. i THINK NOT AND DIFFERENT FROM THE SERIES WE HAVE NEW CHARACTERS AS WELL.

ALSO FOLLOW THE SIDE SERIES AND THE NEW INTRO FROM LOS ANGELES. LIKE THE LOOK ON YOUNG JHONNY DEPP. HEHEHE
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
7 years 11 months ago #21787

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

ALSO, IM LIKING THIS NEW VILLAIN.
AS WELL AS MY GTA 5 FAVORITE, TREVOR. WEIRD SEEING HIM IN TWD.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
7 years 11 months ago #21788

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

Probably shouldn't read this. Spoiler alert. Bio, welcome back!
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
7 years 11 months ago #21790

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

Biollante wrote:
That alone frustrates fans of the comics like myself is that there is so much material to utilize from the comic and yet this guy is just adding pointless filler in order to drag things out, leaving the more exciting bits for the end. That's really my only gripe with him.

(...)

I still think it might be Glenn or Abe. I don't think Gimple has the balls to kill off Daryl. After all he's their cash cow and I'm sure AMC would be against it. Aaron is another potential victim and I hope it's not him. Eugene too, but I don't think he's dying because his story is merely just beginning. So it's looking like Glenn, Abe, or Aaron at this point.

It's going to be a hell of a wait. The boxcar cliffhanger at the end of 4 was really tough to get through lol.

That is the one thing that makes it hard for me to sit through sometimes, there is a lot of boring filler that seems often pointless. Overall I think the show is better than it was in seasons 2 and 3. During a recent hospital stay my girlfriend spent the night in my room with me. I was flipping through the television channels and a Walking Dead marathon was on, so of course to keep her happy we watched that for a day, a night, and another half a day. It was halfway through Season 2 when we started... :(

I doubt they will kill Glenn. He seems to me too popular a character, not like Daryl or Michone, but perhaps a distant 3rd. Sasha, Abe, Tara (she's mostly pointless), Morgan, Aaron, would be among my best guesses.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
7 years 11 months ago #21791

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic The Walking Dead (TV series and comic discussion)

MEMO1DOMINION wrote: HEY, WELCOME BACK HAPPY!

WELL, I FOLLOWED THE COMICS WAY BEFORE THE SERIES. AND HAD PUT IT DOWN FOR NOW. SOLD SOME TO A FRIEND WHO ONLY STARTED COLLECTING AFTER THE SECOND SEASON.

I ALSO FOLLOWED TWD SINCE ITS DEBUT AND HAVE NOT STOPPED SINCE. AND YES, THIS ONE IS A CLIFF HANGER. WILL THEY KILL OF GLENN OR NOT. i THINK NOT AND DIFFERENT FROM THE SERIES WE HAVE NEW CHARACTERS AS WELL.

ALSO FOLLOW THE SIDE SERIES AND THE NEW INTRO FROM LOS ANGELES. LIKE THE LOOK ON YOUNG JHONNY DEPP. HEHEHE

First of all, thanks for welcome back. I know I've been away a long, long time. Mainly for health reasons but all that aside I'm thrilled to know you guys are fans of TWD too. It really is a great series and I got hooked since the first episode. I didn't read the comics till later, but I binged on the entire series in less than a week and it was interesting comparing the two mediums.

The comic is still going by the way, they are up to issue #154 now and a new issue comes out each month. So there's still a way to get your TWD fix during the long hiatus.

ALSO, IM LIKING THIS NEW VILLAIN.
AS WELL AS MY GTA 5 FAVORITE, TREVOR. WEIRD SEEING HIM IN TWD.

And YASSSS Negan is awesome and I took was shocked to see Trevor lol. Everyone I know is calling him Trevor too, which works because they didn't really mention his name on the show. So Trevor it is.

And just like the Governor AMC had to water down Negan too, especially when it came to his profanity in the comic. Every other word is the F-word but during the episode it was so obvious where the fucks used to be. I mean Negan says "You are pegged"
That's a no brainer he meant fucked lol. Leave it to AMC. Showing people being torn to pieces by zombies is A-okay but saying the F-word is a no-no.

Well good news is, they filmed two versions of that scene so we're still getting the profanity but only in the blu-ray version.

As for the spinoff Fear The Walking Dead. That first season was kind of slow but definitely picked up towards the end and got better. I love that Johnny Depp guy too lol and the character Strand. He seemed like a pretty bad ass mofo. And after seeing the previews for season 2, it looks awesome so yeah watching that this Sunday for sure.

And even though I'm not happy with that cliffhanger ending of season 6, overall it still was a great episode. And if Andrew Lincoln doesn't win a friggin emmy for his performance I'm gonna riot. Seriously he's one of the best actors on the show next to Melissa McBride, who also deserves an emmy.

But as for the death, I'm thinking it might be Abe. Out of the others he was the only one showing defiance against Negan while the others were scared. I gotta rewatch the episode now lol.

7 years 11 months ago #21792

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

SIGHUP wrote: Probably shouldn't read this. Spoiler alert. Bio, welcome back!

You know me I cannot resist dem spoilers, and thank you *hugs* Now who do I gotta kiss around here to get my username
changed to LadyGrimes?

7 years 11 months ago #21793

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

Biollante wrote:

(...)

That is the one thing that makes it hard for me to sit through sometimes, there is a lot of boring filler that seems often pointless. Overall I think the show is better than it was in seasons 2 and 3. During a recent hospital stay my girlfriend spent the night in my room with me. I was flipping through the television channels and a Walking Dead marathon was on, so of course to keep her happy we watched that for a day, a night, and another half a day. It was halfway through Season 2 when we started... :(

I doubt they will kill Glenn. He seems to me too popular a character, not like Daryl or Michone, but perhaps a distant 3rd. Sasha, Abe, Tara (she's mostly pointless), Morgan, Aaron, would be among my best guesses.

Yeah the filler makes some of those episodes painful to sit through and I wish Gimple would take the hint already lol. The only time the filler is even remotely tolerable is if its meant to develop the characters more. But yeah, the most painful episode for me to sit through is "Still" that one bottle episode of Beth and Daryl in season 4. I don't know why in hell Gimple had Beth get stuck with Daryl. IMO Daryl should've been alone or haunted by Merle some more and then run into Joe and the claimers. That kind of filler I wouldn't mind because Merle was hilarious and I miss him.

But as for Glenn getting his comic death, the foreshadowing was mighty heavy in season 6, so I don't know if Gimple is just teasing us or if it means its going to happen. People also believe it could be Daryl because Norman Reedus has some new show debuting on AMC about motorcycles so people automatically assume that new show means he's dead. But like I mentioned, Daryl isn't dying because AMC would shit themselves. He sells the show practically even though Rick is the main character. I love Glenn too and would hate for him to go, shit I'd hate for any of them to die.

The most painful death for me was Hershel's because of the sheer brutality of it. Ugh just thinking about it now gets to me. But yeah someone's going to die and we're not going to like it either way.
As Abe would say "Bitchnuts!"

7 years 11 months ago #21794

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds