Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Ok,

I'm gonna talk about some general stuff in this post (mostly stuff that REALLY pisses me off about the Palladium version of Robotech). This mostly relates to the absolutely overpowered nature of the Cyclone in the game (which has more armour than some significantly larger mecha).

Scale works both ways (naturally). Any fool who takes a Cyclone and attempts to go toe-to-toe with one of the heavier Invid mecha (let alone an earlier mecha like a Bioroid) is asking to get creamed. The various Cyclones are armed respectably for dealing with bigger threats: GR-97's with 45mm x 260mm Scorpion rockets, GR-103's with 60mm x 150mm Recluse rockets or RL-6's with 76mm Tarantula rockets. However, the small arms carried are mostly for dealing with smaller mecha such as the Scout/Armoured Scout: 60mm EP-37 beam cannon, 40mm EP-40 beam cannon & M-100 12.7mm tri-barreled gatling machinegun (even with SLAP rounds, it should not be able to do appreciable damage to a large vehicle).

A player should not go toe-to-toe with the larger mecha. Staying at stand-off range (1km or so) and lobbing missiles is the preferred method for dealing with enemies like that. If they do, it must be stressed that hitting weak spots is how to deal with larger foes (Invid Camera Eyes, Bioroid Faceplate, Arm/Leg Joints on most Zentraedi mecha, Sensor Faceplate on the Stinger Armoured Aerospace Battloid).

Weapons and/or tactics no one in their right military mind would use against large mecha include such things as the CADS-1 vibro-blades (which really have no point being on the VR-041 as its a heavy assault powered armour) or any other kind of hand-to-hand maneuver.

Cinematic combat with Mooks isn't an excuse to be stupid (naturally).
14 years 1 month ago #9674

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Nikolay116
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Real Deal

Replied by Nikolay116 on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

First of, what is Robotech D6?
2) where can I take a look/download it? Maybe you have screenshots?
3) Your appeals like "this is mecha should be like this, because".. are a bit pointless. In a game there can be any stats. If you are not happy with it, make your own game. But I bet it is easier to flood the forum with huges essays than do something real.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Nikolay116.
14 years 1 month ago #9677

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Nikolay116 wrote:

First of, what is Robotech D6?

An attempt to use the West End Games D6 Engine to better model the Robotech RPG.

2) where can I take a look/download it? Maybe you have screenshots?

Earlier in this thread, teedeeus posted a link to a .doc he found where someone had done The New Generation using classic Star Wars D6.

3) Your appeals like "this is mecha should be like this, because".. are a bit pointless. In a game there can be any stats. If you are not happy with it, make your own game. But I bet it is easier to flood the forum with huges essays than do something real.

:angry:

Umm, excuse me? First off, I'm not 'flooding the forums with huge essays instead of doing something real'. Since you didn't bother to read the opening post in this thread, let me sum it up for you. I AM attempting to 'make my own game' using OpenD6 (as well as Septimus and classic Star Wars D6).
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Brooklyn-Red-Leg.
14 years 1 month ago #9678

Replied by teedeeus on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

My method for converting some stats from Palladium's Robotech for use with the D6 Space.

Converting Speed:
1. Get the top speed of the mecha/vehicle in Kph(Kilometers per hour).
2. Divide the top speed by 4 to get the cruising speed.
3. Multiple the cruising speed by 1.4 to get the cruising move.

Cruising speed = vehicles move
High speed = 2x move
All out = 4x move.
See page 65 of D6 Space for vehicle movement.

For example, take the original VF-1J veritech fighter, in jet mode:
Max Speed: 2676Mph - convert to Kph by multiplying:
2676 x 1.609344 = 4306.604544 - round to 4300Kph max speed.
4300 / 4 = 1075Kph cruising Speed
1075 x 1.4 = 1505 cruising movement (let's just round this to 1500, ok?)
Results:
cruising movement = 1500
High movement = 3000
All-out movement = 6000
If you're stuck on the ground in a destroid, the veritech is moving so fast that it can be out of your maximum range of your weapons in 1 round.

Converting Weapon Ranges:
The palladium books give a maximum range for each weapon type. Convert it to meters for the long range value for the weapon.
Divide the long range value by 3 to get the medium range value.
Divide the medium range value by 4 to get the short range value.

For example, on the VF-1J veritech, it has a nose-mounted laser in jet mode. It has a maximum range of 1200m.
long range = 1200m
medium range = 400m
short range = 100m
I know that this will allow weapons to fire beyond their maximum range, but this just felt right to me.

comments?

-teedeeus
14 years 1 month ago #9692

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

I'll trust you on the speed. However, the weapons ranges (especially in the 2nd Edition) are woefully inadequate. Palladium, I think, intentionally low-balled things so as to not give Robotech mecha an 'unfair advantage' when brought into Rifts. In my opinion, when you drop versimilitude in favour of game balance (especially for something as cinematic as Robotech or even Star Wars) you've basically killed it.
14 years 1 month ago #9702

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

I'll trust you on the speed. However, the weapons ranges (especially in the 2nd Edition) are woefully inadequate. Palladium, I think, intentionally low-balled things so as to not give Robotech mecha an 'unfair advantage' when brought into Rifts. In my opinion, when you drop versimilitude in favour of game balance (especially for something as cinematic as Robotech or even Star Wars) you've basically killed it.

That's why it seemed good to me to convert the max range that palladium says to long range. :)
14 years 1 month ago #9706

Replied by Jaymz on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Keep it up guys. This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. If there is any way I can help by all means let me know.
14 years 1 month ago #9709

Replied by Jaymz on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Just curiosu on the ranges. Typical in Star Wars the ranges were like this, and I'll use the example above of the lasers with 1200m. Long would be 1.2km, Medium would be 600 and short would be 150 give or take.

The theme through SW seemed to be that Medium was 1/2 of long while short was about 1/8 of long. Just an observation and you can tell me where to shove it if you like :D
14 years 1 month ago #9710

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Jaymz wrote:

Keep it up guys. This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. If there is any way I can help by all means let me know.

Welcome aboard, Jaymz. Good to see you and definitely it will help to have more voices in this to help even things out.
14 years 1 month ago #9712

Jaymz wrote:

Just curiosu on the ranges. Typical in Star Wars the ranges were like this, and I'll use the example above of the lasers with 1200m. Long would be 1.2km, Medium would be 600 and short would be 150 give or take.

The theme through SW seemed to be that Medium was 1/2 of long while short was about 1/8 of long. Just an observation and you can tell me where to shove it if you like :D

I don't have an issue adjusting the ranges to that. I just kind of guessed as to what the range values should be. The more commonality this game has with other open D6/Star Wars 2ed the better, I think. Since I don't have the actual star wars books, I have to rely on others to tell me how that is done.

-teedeeus
14 years 1 month ago #9729

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds