Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by teedeeus on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Jaymz wrote:

Well teh adding of damage as a result of a good die roll seems to be akin to waht they do in Heavy Gear/Silcore. I have no problem with that as it means you just hit a more critical location and were able to do more damage because of it.

Less damage do to a good "piloting" roll could be equated to receiving a glancing blow so that is another thing that seems to make sense.

However with you damage example above (Cyclone with a abody of 4d EP-37 doing 7d)

So the Cyclone would have an average of 14 and the damage of the EP-37 woudl be 24-25 does that mean unless the cyclone rolls really well on his "piloting" roll when hit by this weapon, and the attacker only rolls enough to hit without adding damage, he is destroyed?

Would you guys consider the EP-37 an average weapon at cyclone scale? or would it be an average weapon at mecha scale? What are your thoughts?

-teedeeus
14 years 2 months ago #10146

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

Jaymz wrote:

So the Cyclone would have an average of 14 and the damage of the EP-37 woudl be 24-25 does that mean unless the cyclone rolls really well on his "piloting" roll when hit by this weapon, and the attacker only rolls enough to hit without adding damage, he is destroyed?

No, more like adding a static number to the Cyclone based on the Operator's skill. Its sort of the whole 'Plot Armour' idea. I'm operating under the assumption that each 1D worth of skill adds 3.5 to the Armour, with Pips adding their exact value.

Ex. - A really experienced Cyclone Infantryman w/5D+2 Powered Armour Operation would add 20 to his Cyclone to give him a resist of 34: (3.5 * 5)+2

This would give him a good chance of keeping from getting hurt when shot with Vehicle scale weaponry (Wolverine 7.62mm SLAP rounds, for example).

Someone with 5D+2 piloting skill will be rolling that value for his dodge value anyways. No matter what, he is going to be very hard to hit by mooks of all shapes and sizes, period. It seems to me a rule like this will allow a cyclone pilot to fly through a battlezone, laughing while he takes out hundreds of other mecha without even a scratch on him. The enemies will all miss in the first place, and when they do hit, he gets such a large value added to his armor because of his piloting skill that he will never take damage. Am I interpreting this correctly?

-teedeeus
14 years 2 months ago #10148

Replied by Jaymz on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

I was thinking about that too. SHoudl the armour value be added to his Strength code for damage resistance not his piloting? The piloting itself plus any cyclone manuever bonuses woudl be teh difficulty to hit him. Kind of a doubel dip if you wiil the way you have it set up at the moment BRL.
14 years 2 months ago #10151

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

teedeeus wrote:

It seems to me a rule like this will allow a cyclone pilot to fly through a battlezone, laughing while he takes out hundreds of other mecha without even a scratch on him. The enemies will all miss in the first place, and when they do hit, he gets such a large value added to his armor because of his piloting skill that he will never take damage. Am I interpreting this correctly?

-teedeeus

Until the moment he gets tagged by a mecha-scale weapon and he's a smoking pile of rubble. You also have to remember that this works both ways: Bosses and Lieutenants should benefit from this rule as well (though Lt.'s not as much as Bosses). Its what gives them 'Plot Armour'.

Which brings me to my other 'House Rule': Hand of God.

You're gonna die and there is no other way to avoid it. Hand of God allows you to expend all of your Character and Fate Points at once to keep from dying in combat. If you're in a mecha, its toasted, period. You should only be allowed to Hand of God once in a story arc (multiple episodes).
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Brooklyn-Red-Leg.
14 years 2 months ago #10155

Ah ok sor tof a reverse g-factor from mekton zeta.
14 years 2 months ago #10157

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Jaymz wrote:

Ah ok sor tof a reverse g-factor from mekton zeta.

I thought this would be better than the overuse of double randomization in the game. Seriously, nothing sucks worse than 'Ok, my strike was Heroicx2, yet I pooch the damage roll and/or he rolls and resists completely'. It also makes combat tedious and long.

Of course, YMMV, and what I'm proposing is simply optional rules as I see them.
14 years 2 months ago #10183

Optional rules are never a bad thing. Makes it easier to customize the game to teh way that works best for you.
14 years 2 months ago #10184

I just found a website that looks like they have converted over most of the original robotech mecha over to the Star Wars / D6 rules. Look here: site:rpggamer.org robotech

-teedeeus
14 years 2 months ago #10249

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

teedeeus wrote:

I just found a website that looks like they have converted over most of the original robotech mecha over to the Star Wars / D6 rules.

Actually, there are only Macross mecha, and a number of them are from Macross Zero. Blergh, no thanks.
14 years 2 months ago #10277

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

teedeeus wrote:

I just found a website that looks like they have converted over most of the original robotech mecha over to the Star Wars / D6 rules.

Actually, there are only Macross mecha, and a number of them are from Macross Zero. Blergh, no thanks.

Does it look good to you just for guidelines that we can use for converting over Next Generation mecha?

-teedeeus
14 years 2 months ago #10280

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds