Anyone else losing interest?

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Negative opnions of Shadow Chronicles? There's no such thing! Everybody LOVES Shadow Chronicles!

Well, except for some people, but they're all losers, wimps, and known felons. :P

In all honesty, I don't know anyone personally who actually LIKED The Shadow Chronicles. All of them said the same thing: it stunk. I've watched it a total of 2 times all the way through, and I had to force myself to sit through the second showing. The only other time I watched it was to do screen grabs for various people. Other than that, my DVD is collecting dust.

I only know three people in real life who even saw it. One of them thought it was "okay." The other two didn't like it.
14 years 2 months ago #10272

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Nikolay116
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Real Deal
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Nikolay116 on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Gubaba wrote:

I only know three people in real life who even saw it. One of them thought it was "okay." The other two didn't like it.

You can count me in, I am the forth, watched on youtube once.

Well, it is hard to make overall judgement. I like maybe 20 minutes of fighting scenes and such, where they show alphas, betas, etc. Not bad. I like the details. That was great. On the other hand the rest where they show plot and characters is crap indeed.

I think three main drawbacks of the sequel are:
1) They do not introduce any new VF or other transformable mechas, they just build on exiting stuff.
2) Plot and characters is poor. It was almost childish. Also I guess the time line was chosen wrongly, there are many potentially interesting moments in Robotech/Macross history beside the end of invids.
3) Overall visual 3d is ...maybe too catoonish. I know this is already a cartoon, but I guess one should either stick to orignal mospeada style from 80's or make something a way more realistic. Otherwise it does not look smooth and natural.

I think it is worth making a comparison with Macross Zero, that was released even earlier I guess:

1) They introduce several nice new and renewed mechas like mainly VF-0 and SV-51. Besides there were several other in the background.
2) Plot and characters were not something special but OK, at least it was not too plain. I did not want to puke watching them, so here authors played safe. Plus a bit of fan service.
3) Visual was spectacular. I think they used deliberately this contrast between extremly realistic mechas and cartoonish characters. Maybe it is not new approach, but it worked.

To sum up, I beleive these 3 missing components could have made a good Robotech sequel, but as always something went terribly wrong, or just authors were lazy damb amateurs.
14 years 2 months ago #10276

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Nikolay116 wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

You can count me in, I am the forth, watched on youtube once.

But...but...I don't know you in real life! (Or do I? Sean, is that you? :P )
14 years 2 months ago #10278

Replied by zinjo on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Gubaba wrote:

Well, except for some people, but they're all losers, wimps, and known felons. :P

I'm a known felon and I haven't even seen it... :woohoo:

But I bet I'll hate it... :P
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by zinjo.
14 years 2 months ago #10282

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

DVDS SALES ARE UP THERE.. I DON'T THINK HE CRYING. ESPECIALLY WITH OTHER THINGS HE DOING LIKE WORKING WITH HG AND WB. HE'S IN A GOOD SPOT CONCERNING ROBOTECH DIRECTION AND WB.

DVD sales are up? Where I live the DVD is either in the bargain bin or collecting dust, but I guess we all make our own reality.

Making the assumption he is working with WB is pretty large. HG is working with WB, sort of but Tommy? I'm not entirely sure about that.

MaverickLSC wrote:

Memo, I think that's a no brainer. Warner Brothers wouldnt' even look at the Robotech property unless there's substantiated sales figures to enticed them to give Robotech the green light and have a go with the live action treatment.

This is quite obvious as most of the majors only will exploit properties which have the potential to significantly profit from them in regards to theatrical earnings.

Mav...

Not necesserily. Studios these days are working with "known" properties as opposed to creating new ones. RT has been mentioned in the same breath as "Voltron" which isn't saying a lot.

Scooby Doo went live action, Inspector Gadget, Flintstones, George of the Jungle, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Underdog, Fat Albert, etc.... have all been made into movies, because they are "known" properties, not necessarily because they were anything special...

The principle reason RT got any sort of pre-production green light is due mainly because Transformers made so much money. Hollywood chases trends, they don't create them anymore.
14 years 2 months ago #10283

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

zinjo wrote:

I'm a known felon and I haven't even seen it...

With a name like zinjo it doesn't surprise me. LOL

Shadow Chronicles was fine for me, nothing spectacular. Just fine, moving on.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 2 months ago #10290

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

ZINJO

DVD sales are up? Where I live the DVD is either in the bargain bin or collecting dust, but I guess we all make our own reality.

REALITY IS FROM FUNIMATION DVD SALES. CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT WHEN THEY HAVE RELEASED THE SAME MOVIE OVER AND OVER CONSIDERING THE MULTIPLE RELEASES HARD TO BELIEVE FROM YOU THAT FUNIMATION WOULD JUST MAKE DVD'S TO END IN THE BARGAIN BIN OR COLLECTING DUST. AS IT IS ONE OF FUNIMATION TOP SELLERS.

4 RELEASES
88 MINUTE MOVIE
PRODUCED IN HOUSE AND HG MAKES GRAVY AFTER IT'S FIRST RELEASE.

Making the assumption he is working with WB is pretty large. HG is working with WB, sort of but Tommy? I'm not entirely sure about that.

I AM NOT MAKING IT. TOMMY YUNE WHO WORKS FOR HG IS THE ONE WHO IS SAYING THEY WORKING WITH WB.

UNLESS YOU CAN SAY THAT YOU ARE PART OF ANY OF THE WORKINGS BETWEEN THE TWO THEN YOU JUST ASSUMING.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 2 months ago #10293

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ZINJO

REALITY IS FROM FUNIMATION DVD SALES. CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT WHEN THEY HAVE RELEASED THE SAME MOVIE OVER AND OVER CONSIDERING THE MULTIPLE RELEASES HARD TO BELIEVE FROM YOU THAT FUNIMATION WOULD JUST MAKE DVD'S TO END IN THE BARGAIN BIN OR COLLECTING DUST. AS IT IS ONE OF FUNIMATION TOP SELLERS.

4 RELEASES
88 MINUTE MOVIE
PRODUCED IN HOUSE AND HG MAKES GRAVY AFTER IT'S FIRST RELEASE.

Depends on what they are referring to. There was the initial 1 disc release (#1), The two disc set (#2), The Bluray release (#3) and the "Collector's Edition" Release (#4). Sounds like spin doctoring to me.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I AM NOT MAKING IT. TOMMY YUNE WHO WORKS FOR HG IS THE ONE WHO IS SAYING THEY WORKING WITH WB.

UNLESS YOU CAN SAY THAT YOU ARE PART OF ANY OF THE WORKINGS BETWEEN THE TWO THEN YOU JUST ASSUMING.

Yes, "they" are working with WB, at no time has Tommy said "HE" is working with WB. I am working with the Olympics or rather my company is. I am not directly working on that job, so does that make "ME" working with the Olympics? By your assumptions, it would be yes, but I "know" I am not.

I do not work for WB, but I do know that they don't work with unknowns, and Tommy is that to them. Unless he suddenly signed with CAA or one of the other big agencies, WB really has no interest in what he would have to say. WB deals with Frank Agrama and possibly Kevin McKeever. They are too big to work with "staff" directly.

No doubt they've reviewed all the available RT productions and through their producer are exploring a story narrative for a possible movie.
WB's producer will hire writers and present their work to studio "readers" who will advise executives on what they see. The whole process is a collaborative effort with people WB "trusts" considering how much money could be involved in the production.

If WB ultimately sees a story they believe will sell box office tickets they'll green light the production, otherwise it could remain in pre-production purgatory indefinitely.

None of the HG staff will be able to talk about any known details of the production because WB will have them all gagged with NDA contracts.

Unfortunately, in Hollywood pre-production status doesn't mean green light. Some films have been in pre-production for years, "Evangelion" and "Halo" are two that immediately come to mind. Great ideas that have yet to materialize into a production.

At this point, until the project is give a green light by the studio, nothing more will be done than what is being done right now. Which is writing a viable script that meets with WB's proposed budget plans which will not likely exceed 75 - 100M for a first time effects heavy film.

There is a very real possibility that the film WB green lights will have little or no resemblance to the series. They've bought the rights to do whatever they like with the the movie property. Make no mistake they will exercise those rights in whatever manner they believe will make them the most money.

Believe it or not, that's the way it works.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by zinjo.
14 years 2 months ago #10316

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

zinjo wrote:

There is a very real possibility that the film WB green lights will have little or no resemblance to the series. They've bought the rights to do whatever they like with the the movie property. Make no mistake they will exercise those rights in whatever manner they believe will make them the most money.

Believe it or not, that's the way it works.

Why wouldn't anyone believe that's how it works? We've all seen it happen before, when HG licensed Macross, Southern Cros, and Mospeada, and put them all together, something the creators never intended (or even, in at least one case, approved of). Memo himself has said on many occasions that HG bought the rights, so they could do whatever they wanted to.

And he's right. They could.

And now WB can do whatever they want to with Robotech. :)
14 years 2 months ago #10317

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Zinjo, that's nothing, you're confused. The film making process does not work the way as you stated.

Read this first;

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual

Zinjo wrote;

Unfortunately, in Hollywood pre-production status doesn't mean green light. Some films have been in pre-production for years, "Evangelion" and "Halo" are two that immediately come to mind. Great ideas that have yet to materialize into a production.

Truth

The producer and screenwriter prepare a film pitch, or treatment, and present it to potential financiers. If the pitch is successful, the film receives a "green light", meaning someone offers financial backing: typically a major film studio, film council, or independent investor. The parties involved negotiate a deal and sign contracts. Once all parties have met and the deal has been set, the film may proceed into the pre-production period.

Zinjo wrote;

If WB ultimately sees a story they believe will sell box office tickets they'll green light the production, otherwise it could remain in pre-production purgatory indefinitely.

Truth

Development stage

However, producers often skip the previous steps and develop submitted screenplays which investors, studios, and other interested parties assess through a process called script coverage. A film distributor may be contacted at an early stage to assess the likely market and potential financial success of the film. Hollywood distributors adopt a hard-headed business approach and consider factors such as the film genre, the target audience, the historical success of similar films, the actors who might appear in the film, and potential directors. All these factors imply a certain appeal of the film to a possible audience and hence the number of "bums on seats" during the theatrical release. Not all films make a profit from the theatrical release alone, so film companies take DVD sales and worldwide distribution rights into account.

The producer and screenwriter prepare a film pitch, or treatment, and present it to potential financiers. If the pitch is successful, the film receives a "green light", meaning someone offers financial backing: typically a major film studio.

Everyone, here's some resources that may help you understand the process of film making and clear some of the muddled misinformation that's flying about.

www.filmmaking.net/
www.misteridigital.com/
www.articlescreen.com/articles/29240/1/A...ilmmaking/Page1.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmmaking
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual

I hope this clears up some questions you might have.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
14 years 1 month ago #10322

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds