Anyone else losing interest?

• Richardmvela
  • Richardmvela's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Anyone else losing interest? was created by Richardmvela

Hi all, it's been a while since posted recently aside from a piece on Gundam. Is anyone else starting to lose interest in Robotech with out anything to realy catch your attention. Aside from expensive toys, just kind atired of waiting for Shadow Rising which we know nothing about. If you look back on TSC, work began on it early in the 2000's but it wasn't released until 2007. Nothing since then just gets old.

Look at Appleseed. The first CGI movie took them little more than a year they said if you watched the extras, and Ex Machina came two years later and looked even better. Things like this discourage me from RT and I think I'm kind of at the point where I can give a damn anymore. Anyone else feeling like this?
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
14 years 6 months ago #7014

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Yeah..

I'm not getting tired with the show, its still great. I'm just getting tired of the general situation revolving robotech.

Lots of stupidity, inaction, childish and moronic stuff. People, once in good nature, now intoxicated in a self belief that they are the proprietor, the messiah of fandom, yet do not realize they are just mindlessly dragging down the once fun and exciting communities.

The fact now you cant visit any robotech forum, or an anime forum with RT topics, without having to witness puerile debates over the ownership, which leads to the heavy handedness, the verbal acts of slandering attrition, the abuse of position, unwarranted commenting, and regrettably, the perpetuating circle this creates.

It comes to a point where at times I'm ashamed to say I'm an RT fan, when years ago I was one of those eccentrics on the RT community. I buy the Shadow Chronicles, and all I think is, if this is it?

The man hours, the dollars spent, the trips to SoCal, the favors I pulled in, and the help I gave out. Don't get me wrong. HG doesn't owe me anything for anything I may have or may not have done, but they still gave me something. Free passes to AX, and a manual promotion on their site so I could access the insider info that was published in New type the year before.

Sometimes I feel like I should have just stuck to MOSPEADA and not get involved with Robotech. But hey, still here.

--Goldfish
14 years 6 months ago #7016

• Richardmvela
  • Richardmvela's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

I understand completely, it's almost like Rt is falling apart. The foundation of fans is crumbling. Whether due to TSC not being up to par of the failure of Invasion. Or if it's things to do with the legal issues etc etc etc....for me it pretty much comes down to the fact that here we are over 3 years after TSC was completed(Remember there was a year delay in releasing it) with nothing to keep my interest. I am not going to spring all that money for a collectable toy and a rerelease fo a comics from 3 years ago isn't going to do anything considering I have the originals. I'm just at a point where I am ready to forget about RT and I have a feeling more people feel this way then not....
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
14 years 6 months ago #7017

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Losing interest? Happened a long time ago actually...most of it having to deal with my dissatisfaction with TSC. When I first saw that movie I couldn't help but think to myself.. is this robotech's future?

Yes I am a fan of the original 85, and even like some of the novels and comics, but to be totally honest us fans can never have anything that comes close to the 85 eps... and why? Because most of what we love about them come from the originals themselves. The three separate series that were put together to make the story of robotech.

I hate to say it, and a lot of robotech fans may look down on me, but Robotech isn't a scifi epic, in fact there's nothing original about it at all. It's just generic scifi, and most of the fans are still into it because of the nostalgia factor.
The only original elements at all were those used to connect the series, and the music,but other than that, just face it, it's pretty much just an american dubbed version of the OSM with a few added ingredients.

It's pretty sad to say, but we will never have anything close the 85 episodes, story wise or art wise. And when you realize that, it's not hard to lose interest.

But someone might say, "oh what about the live action movie?"
Do you honestly think a live action movie can live up to the robotech story? Everything we've come to love about it?
Do you honestly think a live action film can capture that?
I say, you're higher than a kite....
The live action movie will only be Robotech in name, not in essence, and just like TSC or any future installments to come.

Robotech is pretty much dead people, and the only thing we're doing is hoping for more when we should just let it die and appreciate what we have.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 6 months ago #7018

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

It' time for a brand new Robotech; HG should finish the Shadow series with new OAVs then reluanch with new storyline and characters.
14 years 6 months ago #7019

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

It' time for a brand new Robotech; HG should finish the Shadow series with new OAVs then reluanch with new storyline and characters.
14 years 6 months ago #7020

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

THERE ARE OTHER CARTOONS OUT THERE

:P :P :P :P
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 6 months ago #7021

Replied by Fuzzy on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

To quote Battlestar Gallactica...

...all this has happened before, and will happen again...

Seriously, lets not forget that for over 15 years, Robotech pretty much went through a dark period. After the original Movie, and ill fated Sentinels, the only new robotech products were (for a short time) the RPG, and the occasional comic series or original novel. This kind of thing doesnt just happen with Robotech, but with a LOT of other genres/stories/character driven media type stuff (ie: comics/star trek/star wars/ect).

Also, as far as the legal issues of who owns what...whatever issues that are out there now are nowhere near the scale of the legal stuff that went on back in the 80s. Personally, one of my pet peeves is the fans of warhammer who scream that HG is "blocking" the new Warhammer because theyre not allowing WH to use the designs of 6 mechs which just happen to be the legal property of HG. Now...issues of legality aside, if your game is such that, the loss of only 6 mech designs means the game gets thrown out the window...well imo thats not much of a game.

But for the record, imo Robotech hasnt decreased in popularity or relevance too much, definately not to the level that it has in the past. Heck, i was in the Japan Pavilion at Epcot yesterday and came across a TSC wall scroll and messenger bag on sale there. (and incidently, more TSC wall scrolls had been sold there than any other series scrolls save for Naruto and Bleach) If thats a "crumbling" of the "foundation of fans" then...i must just really be out of touch.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by Fuzzy.
14 years 6 months ago #7022

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

My interest in Robotech has waxed and waned over the years.

My first major loss of interest in Robotech happened during my initial watch-through of the series. Initially, I found the Masters Saga so utterly repellent that I had to be persuaded to finish watching the series. The New Generation briefly earned my interest back, but it failed to wow me like the Macross Saga had.

Joining Robotech.com briefly reignited my interest in the series, but the repetitious nature of the board got to me after a while, though just as I was about ready to give up, they announced the show that would become Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles. My excitement for that lasted for a little while, but ultimately I started to get bored with the wait. The release killed what little enthusiasm I had left.

Of course, by the time they'd announced "Robotech 2004", I was heavily involved in Macross, because it had all the stuff I had loved from the Macross Saga, and none of the crap I hated from Robotech's other sagas. The fact that Macross had produced much more material, and that it was all of much higher quality, with a far more coherent narrative, definitely contributed to my eventually deciding to put Robotech on the back burner in favor of following Macross.
14 years 6 months ago #7024

Replied by sorral on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

I started to loose interest a year or two after the show left the American TV. I gained my interest back in the late '90s when the Cartoon Network put it back on the air, but then it was gone again. When I found RT.com, I started getting into it again, but lost interest when I saw nothing new going on. Two years ago, I ran into the Robotech VOXP game. I really liked it, met some good folks playing, and that sparked my interest again. My wife got me TSC for a present, and I thought it was interesting, but that soon faded. I voiced my dismay on RT.com and got banned, I have asked to be reinstated, and even offered to post a public apology, but I my account is still inactive, and they do not return my emails.

I think this is the last straw. I will go see the movie if it ever comes out, but until then I guess Robotech is dead to me. It is too bad that something I loved so much as a boy has let me down so much. I still enjoy the art, and much of the fan art projects, so I will look at that once in a while. I may even post here some times, just to keep apprised if anything new does happen, but unless RT.com lets me back on, and I see new content.........................
FAREWELL ALL.

Sorral out. ( maybe for good)
"Guns don't kill, husbands that come home early do"....Larry the Cable Guy
14 years 6 months ago #7025

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds