8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

GUBABA

...and I'd like to publicly disassociate myself from the Macross fan morons in comments section.

YOU KNOW, YOU ABOUT THE ONE OF THE FEW I KNOW OUT HERE IN THE L.A. AREA WHO ARE APART OF THAT.

What, being a Macross fan? Yeah, most of the "movers and shakers" out here are more Robotech-inclined, that's for sure.

All of my Japanese friends like Macross better, though. ;)

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

WAS NOT THIS GUY WHO DID THAT FIND OF THE MACROSS LIVE ACTION COMMERCIAL VIDEO? LOOKS LIKE SINCE HE BEEN ATTACKED FOR HIS ROBOTECH MACROSS COMMENTS HE SURE HITTING BACK.

HEHEHE

Hitting back with a vengeance, indeed. :laugh:

But still, it's NOTHIN' compared the battles on youtube. Frankly, the comments there make me embarrassed to be involved in the Macorss/Robotech fandom in any way at all... :dry:

One thing about the "Why Robotech is Better" list...he mentions that Macross is more sexist because Millia ended up wearing pink...but didn't Robotech cut out the baby-tossing scene in episode 30? That scene really demonstrated that she wasn't just Max's little ball'n'chain (as did all of Macross 7, but that's another story...).
14 years 4 months ago #8463

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

The baby tossing scene was the best! Baby football!!! I enjoy Macross because I like stuff in its original form. What me a purist? Uh Oh impossible.

I do have the AnimEigo set and prefer that only because Mari and the "proper fitting" japanese dub. But will always be thankful to Robotech for introducing me to anime.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 4 months ago #8464

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

SIGHUP wrote:

The baby tossing scene was the best! Baby football!!! I enjoy Macross because I like stuff in its original form. What me a purist? Uh Oh impossible.

I do have the AnimEigo set and prefer that only because Mari and the "proper fitting" japanese dub. But will always be thankful to Robotech for introducing me to anime.

Yeah...the ADV dub wasn't very good, I thought. Too many of the characters were horribly miscast.

Robotech is...frustrating to me. I knew about Macross before Robotech started, so I knew it was Japanese. When RT started, I thought, "Oh, cool! It's Macross!" But with no official Robotech toys yet, I pestered my parents to take me to the toy store in L.A.'s Little Tokyo area, and was shocked when I looked at the boxes...there was Rick's Veritech, with a picture of Rick, but it said "Hikaru Ichijo" on it. :huh:

Then, when the Masters portion of the show started (which, at first, I figured was a Macross sequel), I went back to Little Tokyo and saw a model kit of Dana's armor with the name "Jeanne Françaix" on it, and then I felt like Robotech was trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

I'm still not entirely sure why some people prefer Robotech (apart from the nostalgia reason...I understand that)...and the Topless Robot article doesn't really address the issue (it seems like it exists more to troll Macross fans than to actually argue the point). But hey, some people do, and it's no skin off my nose.

But surely the members here can come up with more and better reasons why Robotech is superior? I'd like to see some. :)

(And no, I'm not setting people up just to knock them down. I'm genuinely curious.)
14 years 4 months ago #8465

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

Robotech was frustrating to me as well due to the fact that in the beginning. I never understood what the hell was going on. This is when I was a wee lad. Because it went from Macross-to-Masters-to-New Gen.

I actually forgot all about Robotech until I literally typed www.robotech.com in a browser back in 2007. Then I understood everything. That it was three separate series blah blah.

For me, it is the nostalgic factor. I don't think Robotech is necessarily superior. Its just different. The story anyway.

Think of it as an open-source program. A linux operating system if you will. Sure you have your purists that say BSD! dammit! Then comes along Red Hat or Suse, etc. Sometimes the variants are better accommodated for a certain purpose. Even if they stem from the same.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 4 months ago #8466

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Aladdin-Sane on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

My general thoughts on the list, shamelessly copy/pasted from posts I made on MW and RT.com:

Topless Robot has dabbled in anti-Macross trolling (ick, I feel like someone going on about "Macross purist trolls" saying that) before, the first major example I can remember being here . A number of people made what I felt to be fairly reasonable, civil posts in the comments but, unfortunately, one (or possibly more) idiots felt the need to spam it with a bunch of pointless "HURPADERP ROBOCRAP IS TEH SUXX" nonsense which, I think, resulted in the tone of this next piece . This list is just the most recent entry in a trilogy of attempts to elicit some kind of response from Macross fans.

I don't know how much the writers at Topless Robot believe what they're putting out there, but it's pretty obvious the reason it's being done is to annoy people. Note the tags on the two most recent posts ("Nerd baiting") and the dismissive attitude displayed in #7 on the list ("It doesn't matter what you try to say because I'm just going to ignore you").

The list is generally pretty silly overall, and the site has shown a trolling attitude towards Macross in the past, but there's two key points that stick out to me:

For all they say about Robotech spawning fewer bad games and sequels, they also fail to mention that Robotech also inspired fewer GOOD games and sequels compared to Macross.

While Robotech mightn't have resulted in Clash of the Bionoids it DID result in Robotech: The Untold Story which was far worse, and shouldn't just be swept aside. Yeah, even Macek admitted to it being arse, but it's still an official Robotech production.

Also, if you're going to attribute CotB directly to Macross, surely you also have to do the same for Robotech itself? It's exactly the same deal. So really, "Macross resulted in Robotech" should be a reason for Macross being superior given their pro-Robotech stance, shouldn't it?

Gubaba wrote:
But surely the members here can come up with more and better reasons why Robotech is superior? I'd like to see some. :)

'fraid I won't be able to help you. I was a Macross fan first and got into Robotech watching it for the first time this year, going into it as a bit of a historical oddity and a curious relic of its time.

I like it because it's got a kitschy, retro appeal; I really can't think of any reasons to consider Robotech superior to Macross though, and have always felt using stuff like "Robotech has awesome transforming motorbikes and Macross doesn't" to be a bit of a cop-out because really, what you're saying is: "I like [elements of] MOSPEADA better than Macross", or "I like Macross and MOSPEADA together better than just Macross by itself".
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 4 months ago #8467

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

GUBABA

What, being a Macross fan? Yeah, most of the "movers and shakers" out here are more Robotech-inclined, that's for sure.

YEAH. IT'S ALSO OPPOSITE ON THE ROBOTECH SIDE. WEIRD

MAN... THE 90'S WERE COOL. ANIME FORUMS ARGUMENTS WERE MORE.. UPFRONT. CLEAN FIGHTS. NOW IT'S MORE OF KNOWING WHO AND WHAT.

Yeah...the ADV dub wasn't very good, I thought. Too many of the characters were horribly miscast.

I knew about Macross before Robotech started

ROBOTECH WAS FIRST FOR ME. WHAT DREW ME WAS ONE THING. FLOWER OF LIFE. YEAH, SOUNDS FUNNY. BUT IT TAKES UP ONE OF THE OLDEST STORYS IN OUR CULTURE, MEXICAN INDIAN FROM FATHER SIDE, WHICH WAS TOLD TO ME AND THAT WAS THE CORN.

REALLY, MAIZ, OR AKA CORN WAS TAKEN FROM THE GODS TO SAVE MANKIND THAT WAS THE GODS FOOD AND ONE GOD, QUETZALCOATL, BROUGHT IT TO FEED THE HUMANS. AND LIKE THE FLOWER OF LIFE, CORN IS BEING USED AND ABUSED NOW.

SIGHUP

For me, it is the nostalgic factor. I don't think Robotech is necessarily superior. Its just different. The story anyway.

Think of it as an open-source program. A linux operating system if you will. Sure you have your purists that say BSD! dammit! Then comes along Red Hat or Suse, etc. Sometimes the variants are better accommodated for a certain purpose. Even if they stem from the same.

IT SURE WAS DIFFERENT. I WAS JUST MOVING OUT OF SCIFI SHOWS LIKE BUCK AND KNIGHT RIDER.. SO ROBOTECH WAS THE NEXT STEP UP. TILL I SAW MACROSS PLUS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 4 months ago #8468

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

EDIT ALADIN POST TO TAKE A NAME OUT.

DON'T WANT TO SEE DEAD PEOPLE AGAIN.
14 years 4 months ago #8473

• Kilroyleader
  • Kilroyleader's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Kilroyleader on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ROBOTECH WAS FIRST FOR ME. WHAT DREW ME WAS ONE THING. FLOWER OF LIFE. YEAH, SOUNDS FUNNY. BUT IT TAKES UP ONE OF THE OLDEST STORYS IN OUR CULTURE, MEXICAN INDIAN FROM FATHER SIDE, WHICH WAS TOLD TO ME AND THAT WAS THE CORN.

REALLY, MAIZ, OR AKA CORN WAS TAKEN FROM THE GODS TO SAVE MANKIND THAT WAS THE GODS FOOD AND ONE GOD, QUETZALCOATL, BROUGHT IT TO FEED THE HUMANS. AND LIKE THE FLOWER OF LIFE, CORN IS BEING USED AND ABUSED NOW.

THAT is interesting! I admit I know next to nothing about ancient American culture, but I'd like to understand this better. Very intriguing parallel.

And as far as YouTube goes, that's frickin' YOUTUBE, not just the Macross/Robotech debate. Any rational debate degenerates inevitably into a sludge pit of name-calling (except for railroad topics and railfan videos, from what I've seen).

I've liked the music from Robotech about as much as I've enjoyed the show itself. I even have Minmei and Yellow Dancer on my Zune! Understand that I've never watched Macross in its original incarnation; consider that when reading my next statement.

The one thing the article got right (that I can say for certain) is the point about the music; Robotech had the more appropriate theme song for itself. Being that Robotech is a grander space epic, it works better.
14 years 4 months ago #8486

Kilroyleader

THAT is interesting! I admit I know next to nothing about ancient American culture, but I'd like to understand this better. Very intriguing parallel.

NOT AMERICAN INDIAN CULTURE, BUT THE CONECTION IS STILL THERE. WHAT WAS SAID OF OUR CULTURE AS "GODS" WE ACTUALLY CONSIDER THEM SPIRITS. WE, AS WELL AS THE AMERICAN INDIANS, SEE THINGS SPIRITUALLY. IT'S MORE EASIER TO EXPLAIN AS IN THE MESO AMERICAN TERMINOLOGY.

HERE IN L.A. I AND MANY OTHERS FROM GUATEMALA ALL THE WAY ACROSS CANADA STILL FOLLOW THOSE TRADITIONS. CIRCLE DANCES AND ALL. I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE SOMETHING WITH YOU THAT I TOOK PART AND STILL LEADING FORWARD WITH MY FELLOW COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS TO MOVE FORWARD.

NOW, WE WERE ON A CONTRACT WITH THE OWNER BUT FUNDS TO BUY THE LAND DID NOT PRODUCE ITSELF FAST ENOUGH. WE RIGHT THERE IN THE HOOD BASICALLY FEEDING FAMILY'S. ESPECIALLY WHEN WE ARE RIGHT THERE IN THE PROJECTS. WE HAD LOT OF SUPPORT. BUT YOU KNOW. NO MONEY, NO LAND. WE TRIED TO HOLD OUT IN THE COURTS BUT THE CITY NEEDS NEW LAND TO DEVELOP.

AS OF NOW IT'S JUST AN EMPTY LOT.

WHAT WE ARE ABOUT

AND WHAT HAPPENED 15 YEARS LATER
14 years 4 months ago #8488

HEHEHE

Kilroyleader

Very intriguing parallel.

ACTUALLY, WHEN I AM WITH CARL, YOU WOULD LOVE OUR DEBATE ABOUT IT. SINCE THIS IS SOMETHING BETWEEN ME AND CARL I WILL JUST SAY THAT HE HAD PLANS WITH THAT BACK IN THE DAY. SO WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT. MAYBE SOMEDAY I CAN GET HIM TO TALK ABOUT IT IN FRONT OF THE FANDOM.

YOU KNOW WHO IS ALSO FAMILIAR WITH THIS TOPIC? DAN WARREN, VOICE OF ROY. HE IS VERY SPIRITUAL AS WELL.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 4 months ago #8489

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds