8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I DISAGREE WITH NOT NEEDING A TRANSFORMABLE SHIP. YOU CAN HAVE MANY USES WITH SUCH A THING. IT IS SPACE AND IS NOT BOUND BY EARTHLY PHYSICS.

I think I've heard everything now. Please explain to me how increasing the profile of a non-warship by more than 300% has many uses? In other words, increasing the amount of area that the enemy can target. Its retarded. It serves no practical purpose and is there merely for some questionable 'cool' factor.
13 years 4 months ago #13962

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I DISAGREE WITH NOT NEEDING A TRANSFORMABLE SHIP. YOU CAN HAVE MANY USES WITH SUCH A THING. IT IS SPACE AND IS NOT BOUND BY EARTHLY PHYSICS.

I think I've heard everything now. Please explain to me how increasing the profile of a non-warship by more than 300% has many uses? In other words, increasing the amount of area that the enemy can target. Its retarded. It serves no practical purpose and is there merely for some questionable 'cool' factor.

I don't think the idea is bad at all, but the way that ship is drawn gives no purpose. If you were gonna have it transform, say, to at least be able to position the canon to fire in a quicker time than rotating the entire ship, but the gun is on the back. In that, it makes that design totally useless. And aside from trying to incorporate Macross concepts in really a Mospeada based sequel is just reaching a bit.

I don't think the ships increase their profile by that much. In space, it would really depend on where the enemy comes in from that determines how much profile the ship will have. I'm also sure with targeting and the technology used, and the overall size of these ships, profile isn't much of a factor when you take into all accounts. In anycase, trying to apply too much realism in any of these cartoons is just ridiculous. You have to watch these and just know that some of the stuff is just never gonna happen, and some things just wouldn't go down the same in reality.
13 years 4 months ago #13963

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

Towgrin wrote:

I don't think the ships increase their profile by that much.

Yes, it does. You have to compare the full height of the 'Battloid' mode Ark Angel with the 'Cruiser' mode Ark Angel. Note that the section of the hull with the Synchro-cannon in 'Cruiser' mode is the tallest. The idea is to make as narrow/small a profile as possible as the larger a ship is, the easier it is to detect. If the space combat was at least modestly 'realistic' (and I use that term loosely), since they have anti-grav, the ship would be able to roll to turn whatever is the narrowest facing when in combat.
13 years 4 months ago #13965

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

A ship firing lasers would have no problem targeting a large ship, especially with electronic targeting. Also, there's no ship that would be able to dodge any accurate blast, as they'd have to pretty much already be out of the way before the shot was fired. Now, since that stuff is already done in these shows, it means even moreso, that a ships profile doesn't matter as much as it doesn in our conventional, earthbound sense.

I'm not even against that transformable ship, especially if the transformation gave it a different ability or advantage that it didn't have in cruiser mode. The only thing I can think of for Macross that makes it work, is that the large Battle cruisers transform to give the advantage of being able to change target direction much quicker than in Cruiser. That drawing of the Ark Angel doesn't give any advantage at all. Again though, it's all Sci-fi, and cartoons. Trying to add too much realism into the equation is just wasting time it seems.
13 years 4 months ago #13967

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

Towgrin wrote:

especially if the transformation gave it a different ability or advantage that it didn't have in cruiser mode. The only thing I can think of for Macross that makes it work, is that the large Battle cruisers transform to give the advantage of being able to change target direction much quicker than in Cruiser.

EXACTLY! LETS SAY A ROUND OF BASKETBALL.. NOT THAT IT WOULD BUT IN A SENSE IF THE SHIP NEEDS TO REACH AND HOLD SOMETHING. SMALL SATELLITE, RAPID LANDING, OR FIRE JUST LIKE A HUMAN WOULD CONSIDERING IT'S TRANSFORMATION IS RELATED MORE TO A HUMAN.

That drawing of the Ark Angel doesn't give any advantage at all. Again though, it's all Sci-fi, and cartoons. Trying to add too much realism into the equation is just wasting time it seems.

AND THIS I AGREE AS WELL CONSIDERING IT'S A CARTOON AND ANIME AND YOU HAVE TO FIGURE IS MORE THAN ANIME MAGIC THAT MAKES THE MECHA DO WHAT IT DOES THREW OUT THE SERIES. MACROSS, SOUTHERN CROSS AND EVEN NEW GENERATION ALL TOGETHER HAVE THAT ANIME MAGIC FEEL THAT WE ALL LIKE WITH THE MECHA BEING TO HUMAN. ALL THREE SERIES DID KINDA WENT OFF THE REALISM MARK. IF A CAPITAL SHIP IS NEEDED FOR TRANSFORMATION FOR THOSE HARD FAST TURNS LIKE THE VERITECHS HAVE... WHY NOT?

IT MAKES SENCE TO HAVE THEM. ESPECIALLY WHERE THERE IS A SERIES ALREADY DOING IT.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 4 months ago #13968

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

Mav's not going to answer my question, is he?

Oh well...

If he stays true to form, he'll avoid the topic for a while, and then pretend that he never saw the question in the first place. We've been through this dance several times before.
13 years 4 months ago #13970

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

Gubaba wrote:

Oh well...

If he stays true to form, he'll avoid the topic for a while, and then pretend that he never saw the question in the first place. We've been through this dance several times before.

NAH. HE POSTED HIS THOUGHTS ON THIS TOPIC IN THE FIRST PLACE. IF I KNOW HIM WELL... HE MIGHT NOT ANSWER YOU AT ALL JUST TO KEEP YOU ASKING...

YOU IN FOR A LOOOOOOOOOONG WAIT.

:P
13 years 4 months ago #13972

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Oh well...

NAH. HE POSTED HIS THOUGHTS ON THIS TOPIC IN THE FIRST PLACE. IF I KNOW HIM WELL... HE MIGHT NOT ANSWER YOU AT ALL JUST TO KEEP YOU ASKING...

YOU IN FOR A LOOOOOOOOOONG WAIT.

:P

Well, I guess that's okay, too...

Since I can't think of any reason to condemn Macross Frontier for naked (???) Ranka (?!?) and not condemn Robotech Remastered for naked Annie that DOESN'T involve hypocrisy, envy, and intellectual dishonesty...I'll just have to assume that those are what motivated Mav's view.

Also, although I think it's pretty sad when an admin feels the need to troll his own board just to generate some activity, that doesn't change the fact that, hey...it's his board, and he can do what he wants. If he wants to make childish and pathetic posts, that's his right. I have no cause to complain. :)
13 years 4 months ago #13974

Gubaba wrote:

Also, although I think it's pretty sad when an admin feels the need to troll his own board just to generate some activity, that doesn't change the fact that, hey...it's his board, and he can do what he wants. If he wants to make childish and pathetic posts, that's his right. I have no cause to complain. :)

NAH, JUST THAT YOU LIKE TO BE IN THE MIDDLE OF IT. AS YOU CAN SEE YOURSELF TROLLING RIGHT BEHIND. THAT'S EVEN FUNNIER. BUT THAT'S OK. YOU STILL NOT A MACROSS PURIST.

;)
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 4 months ago #13975

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:8 Reasons why Robotech is better than Macross

Its for Dramatic effect.. Which is more exciting? Watching a battleship charge guns, fire some maneuvering engines and thrusters, then fire; OR watching a battleship reconfigure/transform, dodge blast because now its a more prominent target, charge multiple weapons, charge into attack position, fire its cannons, then draw back its arm and strike. Of course we can't forget the Power Ranger (aka a whole lot of Japanese series) profile-- the evil target exploding behind the silhouette of our victorious, heroic, gigantic robotic soldier.

Anyone else think the SDF Colony in crusier mode sorta looks like a barrel from the SDF-3/4 stuck on a refit Tokogawa with a garfish cut in half attached to the sides (my first thought was a Zent cruiser chopped in pieces and added)? If this is supposed to be a new vessel why doesn't it look more like the SDF-4 in overall styling and design?
Also, I think the barrel wouldn't stand out so much if it was rotated 90 degs and on one shoulder in battloid mode.

For the record, I prefer 85 Robotech to Macross but I have still enjoyed portions of Macross over the years, especially Frontier.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 4 months ago #13977

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds