CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

ps99041 wrote:

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

WELL... CONSIDER THIS MYTH...

BUSTED AS THE MYTHBUSTERS WOULD SAY.

BACK FOR LOOKING FOR NEWS TI BITS OUT THERE.. SURE FIND OTHER THINGS OF INTEREST WHILE DIGGING.

Probably the only good news that can come out of Robo-Tech is that the side story turns into a short, and the SR project is a go as the main piece.

If the sidequel turns into a short it'll make HG and Tommy look even worse than they already do as Tommy specifically stated it's a "full length feature". The fact that it won't even be completed by summer as originally stated was bad enough and raises the expectation bar considerably. It's also pretty pathetic that we don't even have a title for it yet. :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised if they named it Robo-Tech: Invasion or Robo-Tech: Love and War. Why would it make them look bad, you have to remember it was Carl's idea, project, and script that Tommy had to finish for him. Besides, I figure they will eventually finish it. How long does it have to be anyway to be considered movie length, like 65/70 mins?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 3 weeks ago #15496

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Tommy said it's a movie length movie, so 1 hour and 30 mins? that's about the average run time of a movie.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 3 weeks ago #15502

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

rtsurfer wrote:

How long does it have to be anyway to be considered movie length, like 65/70 mins?

IS on movie length is 80+
13 years 3 weeks ago #15503

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

khoroshen wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

How long does it have to be anyway to be considered movie length, like 65/70 mins?

IS on movie length is 80+

That's a good question. However, who knows the answer when you convert to HG's world? I would also expect it in the range of 80 minutes or so but find it hard to believe they could write, design, and animate something that long in a little over year. Just picking the animation studio could take them months. Still, if they're really using even parts of Love, Live, Alive it's possible since that feature is already 50 minutes itself.
13 years 3 weeks ago #15508

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Typically anything from 70 minutes and up can make the cut as full length.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
13 years 3 weeks ago #15516

• Zen72
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

MaverickLSC wrote:

Zen72, good job in contacting Cary Fukunaga to get a precise answer. Have you confirmed this directly if so. I suggest you have an interview with him on the next Protoculture Times podcast. Mav...

You are asking for confirmation on something that's ALREADY been confirmed? :dry:

I would love for once an audio dialogue between you and Cary to gain an interesting perspective on the situation.

There is NO perspective NOR any siutation because he was NEVER approached about Robotech. Did you actually READ Cary's message? It seems like you are suggesting I badger/harass him for more on this matter when he was quite CLEAR in his response.

If this whole business with Cary Fukunaga had been presented as an opinionated "possible" or "maybe" instead of an "unconfirmed" CONFIRMED story about the RLAM, I probably would have just laughed it off as just another piece of "no news" which you have delighted fans with in the past.

It would ease my concerns.

Mav, you have this real nasty habit of trying to "invent" Robotech news when none are really there with wild speculations. (i.e. Paramount "quaking in their boots", could the Robotech documentary be part of a BIGGER project?) WHY IS THAT?

As to "your concerns";

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/3-robotech-live-action/15063-cary-fukunaga-approached-to-direct-robo

If that doesn't ease them, I really don't know what will.

- JT
13 years 3 weeks ago #15517

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

ps99041 wrote:

That's a good question. However, who knows the answer when you convert to HG's world? I would also expect it in the range of 80 minutes or so but find it hard to believe they could write, design, and animate something that long in a little over year.

Not really but does depend on quality. For example for TV(baring in mind this is 1997-9 era) we'd see complete 80-90min TVP productions written in the space of 4-5 months, sometimes shorter. But its how long it takes for that to be refined, proofed and doctored.

For an animation or a feature length production, it could be the same depending on the quality and mechanics of the story. If someone told me Shadow Chronicles was done in under a year, I could easily beleive that.
13 years 3 weeks ago #15532

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

khoroshen wrote:

ps99041 wrote:

That's a good question. However, who knows the answer when you convert to HG's world? I would also expect it in the range of 80 minutes or so but find it hard to believe they could write, design, and animate something that long in a little over year.

Not really but does depend on quality. For example for TV(baring in mind this is 1997-9 era) we'd see complete 80-90min TVP productions written in the space of 4-5 months, sometimes shorter. But its how long it takes for that to be refined, proofed and doctored.

For an animation or a feature length production, it could be the same depending on the quality and mechanics of the story. If someone told me Shadow Chronicles was done in under a year, I could easily beleive that.

Exactly, which is why when you talk about HG, I find it hard to believe something lasting around 80 minutes can be done in a little more than a year, regardless of quality. Shadow Force (later name Shadow Chronicles) was announced in 2002 and confirmed completed in 2006.
13 years 3 weeks ago #15536

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

A few of the things that makes TSC look like it was rushed were the fact that the animation was stiff, inconsistent, and that all the scenes seemed empty.

Now, when you look at a nearly 4 year production schedule, you can see how a typical anime episode is better animated than TSC. This leads me to believe that the person who was given the most control, in this case Tommy, did not manage the project well.

Things like this plus the legal issues, and the history of failed productions, could turn many potential directors off.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
13 years 3 weeks ago #15540

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

ps99041 wrote:

Exactly, which is why when you talk about HG, I find it hard to believe something lasting around 80 minutes can be done in a little more than a year, regardless of quality. Shadow Force (later name Shadow Chronicles) was announced in 2002 and confirmed completed in 2006.

Well, I agree with Richard(above) that given the content of Shadow Chronicles, the quality(lack off) that a 4 year time frame from pen to film is far too long. I think Sign post makers have a larger production staff then HG, and probably better experienced.

The first half of the movie alone was semi-established scripting, revisiting Symphony Of Light. However, I guess with the status of the product at that time, no one wanted to touch it. Plus with the companies that did. You only need to compare a like-for-like feature for say Tats or DR.Movie andsee the difference is quality.
13 years 3 weeks ago #15546

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds