CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN was created by MEMO1DOMINION

THANKS TO MAV FOR THE FIND

SCREENCRAVE

By malielfman

screencrave.com/2011-03-11/interview-cary-fukunaga/

Do you ever feel pressure to do something less artistic and more mainstream? Do you ever want to?

CF:
They’re always surprised with what I want to do and don’t want to do. I think they’re surprised I don’t want to do robotech. I don’t know, it’s like they want me to have a long career. And be prolific and make big movies. I want to be happy while I make movies and not just do things just to work. I want to do things I spend two years on. Because that’s what it means in the end. Or more! Sin Nombre, by the end was nearly 6 years of work. You only have so much time in life so everything you do needs to mean something to you.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 1 month ago #15063

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH...TURNS IT DOWN

Cary Fukunaga IMBD

www.imdb.com/name/nm1560977/

DIRECTOR

2011 Jane Eyre (as Cary Joji Fukunaga)

2009 Sin Nombre (as Cary Jôji Fukunaga)

2009 Chinatown Film Project

2004 Victoria para chino (short)

2003 Kofi (short)
13 years 1 month ago #15064

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

SO, LOOKS LIKE HE DOES NOT WANT A LONG CAREER... OR MAKE BIG MOVIES.

AW COME ON, TAKE THAT BALL AND CHAIN FROM WARNER BROTHERS AND STICK AROUND FOR 2 OR 3 MOVIES, AND THEN GO BACK TO DOING SENTIMENTAL FEELING MOVIES. GET EXPOSURE THAT WAY.

NOT LIKE THEY SIGNED YOU FOR LIFE LIKE HARRY POTTER OR SOMETHING. EVEN HARRY POTTER WAS SPLIT UP IN DIRECTORS.

SHEESH.

:S
13 years 1 month ago #15065

• Zen72
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Zen72 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Hmm....Very Good SPECULATION....

Now let's take a look at said article again....and "speculate" some more...

Do you ever feel pressure to do something less artistic and more mainstream? Do you ever want to?

CF: They’re always surprised with what I want to do and don’t want to do. I think they’re surprised I don’t want to do robo-tech. I don’t know, it’s like they want me to have a long career. And be prolific and make big movies. I want to be happy while I make movies and not just do things just to work. I want to do things I spend two years on. Because that’s what it means in the end. Or more! Sin Nombre, by the end was nearly 6 years of work. You only have so much time in life so everything you do needs to mean something to you.

Now it's NOT specified that he was APPROACHED by ANYONE at Warner Brothers and there is no specifics on who exactly "THEY" are that were "surprised."

It also should be noted Mems that your copy and paste of Cary's response in the article is INACCURATE because the article ACTUALLY says "robo-tech" vs. robotech which your post shows. Now I have no idea WHY you'd change it...

Granted, it COULD be the Robotech we all know and love that's being referenced..........

......or COULD it be short for "robot-technology" type movies such as Avatar, Iron Man and the such?

But hey, I'm just SPECULATING here.... :blush:

AND SPEAKING OF IRON MAN.....

In an interview in 2009, after Cary's film "Sin Nombre" took Director and Cinematography awards at the Sundance Film Festival.

Q. If a studio came to you and said "We want you to do 'Watchmen,' or we want you to do 'Iron Man 2,' " does that have any interest to you?

A. I'm not averse to anything as long as the story's good. Genre-wise it doesn't really scare me if it's a thriller or horror or comedy or another drama, as long as there's something about the story that to me seems genuine. This was my first script and my first film. I see the good and the bad in it, and I'm looking to sharpen other parts of my directing skills.

Here's the link to verify my copy and paste; www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2009/0...ripping_film/?page=2

So you verbally bash Cary for his response saying;

BUT he himself states in the same response

I want to be happy while I make movies and not just do things just to work.

Could it be that Robotech just isn't that appealing to him as a project to direct that would make him happy and not just doing a movie for the sake of....doing a movie?

And again, this is IF he's talking about ROBOTECH.

But hey, I'm just SPECULATING here....:dry:

AND prior to that in his 2009 interview, Cary said that he is open to ANY genre..."as long as the story's good."

Based on THAT, we can SPECULATE (OH, HOW I LOVE THAT WORD!), that IF it is true that CARY FUKUNAGA was indeed approached to direct a Robotech Live Action movie (which the article does not really confirm), that the STORY WASN'T GOOD and he decided passed.

Then again his words may have NOTHING to do with the ROBOTECH franchise. I say this because there are many "robotech" references out there and are NOT Robotech.

Hmmm...amazing how SPECULATION is.... B)

And if I recall....didn't we go through this with Sylvain White LAST YEAR??? At least with him, he said himself that he saw a DRAFT of a script where Cary Fukunaga did not say anything of the sort. Now, if he follows up with another statement confirming that he was approached about directing the Robotech Live Action Movie, then I could more faith into the "robo-tech" he is talking about. (and I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Sylvain White ever came out and said he "turned down" the movie, however since his name is no longer mentioned, we can speculate he did turn the project down also. So........where is his verbal bash?)

I agree with you Memo, GOOD FIND by MAV. It seems that the story being presented to potential directors for a Robotech Live Action Movie just isn't attractive enough for them to bite which means the writers will need to work on it some more. That is IF they're working on it.

But hey, I'm just SPECULATING here.... ;)

In the end, I stand by what I have said....ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE....1 CHANCE IN 5..and I'll tell ya why;

I just think Robotech is one of those properties that would be best suited for a TELEVISION REBOOT; LIVE ACTION OR ANIMATED where the WHOLE story can be told versus a 2 hour movie where you may lose a lot of the Robotech mystique and be entirely dependant on the success of that film for any sequels.

But hey, I'm just SPECULATING.....HEE HEE! :silly:

- JT
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Zen72.
13 years 1 month ago #15066

• mecha2241
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by mecha2241 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

So another nobody director is approached for this project? Yeah, if it ever gets off the ground it's gonna be a low budget suck fest...
13 years 1 month ago #15067

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

AW COME ON, TAKE THAT BALL AND CHAIN FROM WARNER BROTHERS AND STICK AROUND FOR 2 OR 3 MOVIES, AND THEN GO BACK TO DOING SENTIMENTAL FEELING MOVIES. GET EXPOSURE THAT WAY.

NOT LIKE THEY SIGNED YOU FOR LIFE LIKE HARRY POTTER OR SOMETHING. EVEN HARRY POTTER WAS SPLIT UP IN DIRECTORS.

SHEESH.

Do I perceive desperation from your end?

Now it's NOT specified that he was APPROACHED by ANYONE at Warner Brothers and there is no specifics on who exactly "THEY" are that were "surprised."

For all we know, it could have been Maverick and Juan sending him emails asking him to direct Robotech LAM :P
13 years 1 month ago #15068

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

But but but...Fukunaga did all those movies that Memo listed. Too bad I haven't watched or even heard of them. I think the LAM really needs a big name director who's shown they can make money off of film even if they can't get an Oscar. Just picking a big name director could light the match to get this thing going so I can get my Shadow Rising. Still, looks like the LAM is just as screwed as ever.
13 years 1 month ago #15071

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Zen72 wrote:

Here's the link to verify my copy and paste; www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2009/0...ripping_film/?page=2

So you verbally bash Cary for his response saying;

BUT he himself states in the same response

I want to be happy while I make movies and not just do things just to work.

- JT[/b]

YEAH, ALREADY KNOW ABOUT IT.

WHY I CALLED HIM A OUT CARY LIKE I DID. THIS GUY SURE ACTS LIKE HE CAN DO THE TALK BUT WHEN HE IS APPROACHED FOR REAL HE SURE CAN'T WALK...

WE CAN GUESS ON WHAT THE STORY IS OR NOT BUT THIS GUY DOES NOT HAVE IT. HE IS TO GREEN AND HE KNOWS IT. WHY I THINK HE TURNED DOWN THE JOB...

AND GLAD HE DID.

OH, YOU CAN ALSO CONFIRMED IT WITH THE WRITER IF THERE IS ANOTHER ROBOTECH MOVIE OUT THERE. LET US KNOW WHAT HE ANSWERS. SHOULD BE EASIER TO GET AN INTERVIEW WITH THE INTERVIEWER.
:P

ps99041

But but but...Fukunaga did all those movies that Memo listed. Too bad I haven't watched or even heard of them. I think the LAM really needs a big name director who's shown they can make money off of film even if they can't get an Oscar. Just picking a big name director could light the match to get this thing going so I can get my Shadow Rising. Still, looks like the LAM is just as screwed as ever.

WHOLE HEARTILY AGREE WITH YOU.

WHY I AM GLAD THIS GUY DECIDED TO CHICKEN OUT. I REALLY DID NOT CARE FOR THIS GUY. HE CAN GO BACK TO DOING HIS EMO MOVIES.

AND WE DON'T KNOW WHEN HE WAS ASKED FROM A POSSIBLE POOL OF DIRECTORS. JUST LIKE WRITERS, DIRECTORS ARE ALSO PICKED THE SAME WAY.
13 years 1 month ago #15072

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

YEAH, ALREADY KNOW ABOUT IT.

WHY I CALLED HIM A OUT CARY LIKE I DID. THIS GUY SURE ACTS LIKE HE CAN DO THE TALK BUT WHEN HE IS APPROACHED FOR REAL HE SURE CAN'T WALK...

WE CAN GUESS ON WHAT THE STORY IS OR NOT BUT THIS GUY DOES NOT HAVE IT. HE IS TO GREEN AND HE KNOWS IT. WHY I THINK HE TURNED DOWN THE JOB...

AND GLAD HE DID.

OH, YOU CAN ALSO CONFIRMED IT WITH THE WRITER IF THERE IS ANOTHER ROBOTECH MOVIE OUT THERE. LET US KNOW WHAT HE ANSWERS. SHOULD BE EASIER TO GET AN INTERVIEW WITH THE INTERVIEWER.

Mitta Helveta! Kotona Englannin kieli haluta?

[Translation] WTF, in English please?
13 years 1 month ago #15078

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

not even worth translating or trying to understand.
13 years 1 month ago #15080

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds