CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Richardmvela wrote:

A few of the things that makes TSC look like it was rushed were the fact that the animation was stiff, inconsistent, and that all the scenes seemed empty.

Now, when you look at a nearly 4 year production schedule, you can see how a typical anime episode is better animated than TSC. This leads me to believe that the person who was given the most control, in this case Tommy, did not manage the project well.

Things like this plus the legal issues, and the history of failed productions, could turn many potential directors off.

I concour with all of the above stated. Tommy personally doesn't irk me as much as McKeever. Tommy is a good comic book guy who could possibly do a good job in animation production if not distracted by legal issues with Robotech licensing.

Pertaining to directors for the LAM, yes, unless your Peter Jackson and are already heavily vested inm a series (LOTR and related...), you're not going to want to get invovled with a franchise that can make some thing, but then cannot. Its too conflicting, besides all the other aspects that go into directing to have legal issues of a franchise limit your ability.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
13 years 1 week ago #15547

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

ps99041 wrote:

khoroshen wrote:

ps99041 wrote:

That's a good question. However, who knows the answer when you convert to HG's world? I would also expect it in the range of 80 minutes or so but find it hard to believe they could write, design, and animate something that long in a little over year.

Not really but does depend on quality. For example for TV(baring in mind this is 1997-9 era) we'd see complete 80-90min TVP productions written in the space of 4-5 months, sometimes shorter. But its how long it takes for that to be refined, proofed and doctored.

For an animation or a feature length production, it could be the same depending on the quality and mechanics of the story. If someone told me Shadow Chronicles was done in under a year, I could easily beleive that.

Exactly, which is why when you talk about HG, I find it hard to believe something lasting around 80 minutes can be done in a little more than a year, regardless of quality. Shadow Force (later name Shadow Chronicles) was announced in 2002 and confirmed completed in 2006.

Apparently Ford's version of the tSC screenplay was completed in 2004:

Robotech: the shadow chronicles / by Ford Riley.
Type of Work: Dramatic Work and Music; or Choreography
Registration Number / Date: PAu002908945 / 2004-09-21
Title: Robotech: the shadow chronicles / by Ford Riley.
Description: 109 p.
Notes: Screenplay.
Copyright Claimant: Harmony Gold USA, Inc.
Date of Creation: 2004
Authorship on Application: Harmony Gold USA, Inc., employer for hire.

Names: Riley, Ford
Harmony Gold USA, Inc.

-from the US copyright office's online records.

I also found something for Shadow Rising:

Robotech: Shadow Rising.
Type of Work: Dramatic Work and Music; or Choreography
Registration Number / Date: PAu002921428 / 2007-07-30
Application Title: Robotech: Shadow Rising.
Title: Robotech: Shadow Rising.
Description: 97 p.
Series: The Shadow Chronicles - Part II
Copyright Claimant: Harmony Gold USA, Inc.. Address: 7655 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90046
Date of Creation: 2007
Authorship on Application: Harmony Gold USA, Inc., employer for hire; Domicile: California; Citizenship: United States.
Pre-existing Material: N/A.
Basis of Claim: N/A.

-from the US copyright office's online records.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 1 week ago #15556

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

This example is just for persepctive -

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 started pre-production in late 2005. The Show AIRED in 2007. NOW AS I SAID, this is just for perspective. Yes, Bandai/Sunrise are much more experienced with anime production than HG etc etc...but the fact that in that time they designed mecha, characters, and setting and formed the functional basis of the story - and then moved to animation and airing is amazing.

A BETTER example would be Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Like TSC, a western company wanted to make a sequel, in this case ADV funded it and "produced" it. However once they provided the outline and funding, but they let AIC do what they do best, and the anime magic was there.

TSC on the other hand seemed like at every turn, that HG was mingling. Watching the "Birth of a Sequel", it seemed like they felt like they couldn't trust the studio in a way. DR:MOVIE has a good track record, and I feel that, had they let them do their thing, then TSC would be much better than what we got.

Four years for TSC was too long, too overthought and too long. And now, when fans make their frustrations clear, we are looked down on as no longer fans when in reality we are the true fans. We complain because we care.

Sure there will be people who want Robotech dead soley for Macross to come stateside, but there are those of us who understand that if done right RT can stand on its own. Sure thing will have to be changed but in the end they can be good. I can write tons of examples but nothing will change RT unless HG comes to realize that THEY need to change things.

Rant over,
Richard
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Richardmvela.
13 years 1 week ago #15565

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Now that we know for certain the WB has an actual stake in RT, perhaps they'll see our frustration and do something about it.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
13 years 1 week ago #15575

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

I have a hard time imagining that Convoy.....with the legal issues being what they are, and with WB having ties to Big West's competition, namely 4C and and Sunrise/Bandai visual(Their work on Batman The animated series inspired Big O)

The legal issues may be difficult to overcome.Also If I am not mistaken, Japanese reception to films are important to film industries as many films get large premiers over there.

Sad part is I don;t want RT to go away but to grow in conjuction with Macross.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
13 years 1 week ago #15576

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Good point, movies need to be able to sell worldwide especially in Japan, and WB may be having trouble figuring out how to market Robotech in Japan. What will the larger Japanese audience think when an American movie opens that appears to be based on Macross but is called Robotech? And because of legal issues they can't use Macross to cross promote Robotech and its product tie-ins.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 1 week ago #15579

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

rtsurfer wrote:

Good point, movies need to be able to sell worldwide especially in Japan, and WB may be having trouble figuring out how to market Robotech in Japan. What will the larger Japanese audience think when an American movie opens that appears to be based on Macross but is called Robotech? And because of legal issues they can't use Macross to cross promote Robotech and its product tie-ins.

Too late! Macross Ace magazine reported nearly two years ago that Tobey MacGuire was making a Hollywood "Macross" movie, under the name "Robotech."

So the promotion has already started.

Incidentally, I've met exactly one Japanese person who has ever heard of Robotech. And he thought it was just Macross, dubbed in English.
13 years 1 week ago #15582

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Gubaba wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

Too late! Macross Ace magazine reported nearly two years ago that Tobey MacGuire was making a Hollywood "Macross" movie, under the name "Robotech."

So the promotion has already started.

Incidentally, I've met exactly one Japanese person who has ever heard of Robotech. And he thought it was just Macross, dubbed in English.

That's pretty interesting Gubaba. Did Macross Ace have any reaction from Kawamori about the LAM?
13 years 1 week ago #15595

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

ps99041 wrote:

That's pretty interesting Gubaba. Did Macross Ace have any reaction from Kawamori about the LAM?

No, just a quick blurb of the "Hollywood is creating a MACROSS MOVIE!!" type.
13 years 1 week ago #15606

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds